Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,099
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,416
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil, jpsdad), 709 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516023 01/23/20 10:48 AM
T
ty1174 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have read many past res articles and you guys kinda make them sound like a awesome little fish to try. Sounds like reproduction and cold in northern climate might be the 2 kinks in this plan. Sourcing res from more of a northern climate will help with the second problem. Their are no known places in south dakota to source them as far as I know so will be traveling to iowa nebraska or kansas to source some. TJ, Shorty you might be the closest people i have seen on here that have them, can i ask where you got yours from? Since i will be getting them with my vehicle i am thinking 100/ac is out of the question for my new 3.5 ac pond. So i will probably put them in another pond that is a half acre in size that has no fish. Then move after a spawn. I know this is kind of a loaded question but how many would do the trick 30? I dont want to cut it short, but also i am banking on a spawn to make this plan successful. thank you for any info

Last edited by ty1174; 01/23/20 10:50 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
RES manage to survive after stocking most of the way up the LP of Michigan, in a Winter climate tempered by being surrounded on three sides by great lakes. I think in SD you're going to have to settle for Pumpkinseeds if you want snail eating and some red on the opercules.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
S
I'm just slightly south of both folks mentioned but I'm about 3000' higher in elevation. My winter temps are much colder and longer.
I'd bet my season is similar to yours, but I can say I have lost a handful of RES for 2 winters here. I found about a dozen last year and 5-6 this winter so far. My RES were sourced out of SC Kansas, straight south of TJ and I'm not aware of any source farther north in KS so if you can find them in NE, I'd try that.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I am just 15 miles south of I-80 in Nebraska, south of the Aurora area. I have had RES in my .6 acre pond for roughly 7 years. I had gotten several up to 1lb 10 Oz size but then apparently lost all of my RES over 1 lb last winter because I have not caught any since. Yet I never saw any signs of mortalities either. Prior to that over half the RES I caught were over 1lb. In my mind it was due to the extended cold last spring but I have nothing to verify that, only my WAG.

I think Shorty also had a RES die off that he believes was due to a cold weather event.

Last edited by NEDOC; 01/23/20 04:24 PM.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Just one more comment, if you can get your hands on bg x res hybrid you may gain some cold water tolerance AND an improved ability to pellet train. Good luck finding those in SD though.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Be sure it is ok to import an alien fish to SD. Agree with NEDOC that a cold climate BG or PS X RES cross may add cold tolerance.

T
ty1174 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
https://gfp.sd.gov/redear-sunfish/

should be good on that front

C
C
I have (had??) them in my pond in SW MI. I caught them only rarely when they were about 4-5" long. I have not caught any since. They may or may not be there, we may have had some loss to winter weather. However never saw a mortality or a floater and all the other fish appear to have overwintered every winter just fine. We do everything we can to keep the ice clear of snow since we enjoy skating.

I knew that there was a program to stock them in several SW MI lakes. I found the old study where one of these stocking programs was published. But today i found this article (no date) that gives some specifics of where they are surviving. Our longitude is around 43 whereas aurora, NE is 41.

Michigan RES

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
canyon - If you truly have the desire to have some RES, IMO you would do well to get some RES brood stock from the MI lakes were over many years they have genetically adapted to the variability and harshness of southern Michigan winters. Tolerant survive, intolerant are eliminated. You would not need very many to produce your first crop of cold tolerant YOY RES. I highly suspect all those RES you originally stocked did not survive.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/24/20 03:28 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
Yes! good idea. I need to find the closest lake that has them and see if I can catch them. The problem as you know as they can be very hard to coax to bite smile

I have switched gears in the meantime and have a few PS that I believe spawned late summer of 2018. I didn't see any spawning beds summer 2019 but I had turbid water and a big bloom much of late July and August. It didn't clear till the weather cooled in mid September.

On the to do list before life and medical setbacks set in was to make a minnow trap to sample my young panfish and see what I have. When they are tiny I'm not sure I can tell the difference between a baby RES vs a baby PS anyway...

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
I am just 15 miles south of I-80 in Nebraska, south of the Aurora area. I have had RES in my .6 acre pond for roughly 7 years. I had gotten several up to 1lb 10 Oz size but then apparently lost all of my RES over 1 lb last winter because I have not caught any since. Yet I never saw any signs of mortalities either. Prior to that over half the RES I caught were over 1lb. In my mind it was due to the extended cold last spring but I have nothing to verify that, only my WAG.

I think Shorty also had a RES die off that he believes was due to a cold weather event.

Yep, warm weather took a 9" thick ice cap off very quickly over an 8-9 day period and mixed the water column suddenly. A small pond like mine simply doesn't have large warmer water refuge area. The good news is that I didn't lose any RES last spring during the extended cold we had.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RES spawn the same time as BG around here, so if you can find where they are spawning you can catch a bunch in a short amount of time. Males will be guarding the beds, females staging in deeper water (usually) out from the beds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Ty, I can get you 25 to 30 4-6" RES if you want to drive down to catch and pick them up. Mid to late May would be the best time once the water warms up.

T
ty1174 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Shorty that would be awesome, once i get on the back end of calving season i should be able to get away for a weekend. I am really interested in trying them, maybe they are a failure, maybe they can provide years of fishing for the family. I will have YP in my main dam close to the house but having RES would be a great addition since SM and some WE will be my predators RES sounds like a way better option than BG.

Lunker
Lunker
No problem, I'm a little heavy on RES at the moment and need to thin them down in that size range. I'll teach you how I catch them and show you how to tell the difference between males and females. The warmer the water, the easier they are to catch.

T
ty1174 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
You just need to let me know what all to bring, the fish moving gear and rib eyes steaks are already on the list.

Lunker
Lunker
Bring a spinning rod with light line, I have extra casting bubbles, micro jigs, and will get you rigged up. I had a neighbor over in late September, it took about an hour to catch 25 RES for his pond. They bite better in the evening before the sun goes down but can be caught during middle of the day too.

Lunker
Lunker
Ty, let's shoot for early to mid May if that works for you, I have a fishing trip that got rescheduled for the last week in May due to Covid-19. I have been catching RES shallow lately even though the water temps haven't warmed up yet. The bite should get much better as the water warms up.

L
L
I'm a little late to this party, but if/when PS are substituted for RES in northern regions, what are the trade-offs? My shallow understanding is as follows...

PS more cold-tolerant, more prolific (closer to BG than RES), sometimes more prone to broaden diet beyond snails.
RES grow larger, less prone to overpopulation/stunting, key in on snails unless forced to forage for other foods.

If RES are used in many ponds as low-risk bonus fish with the benefit of snail (parasite) control, are PS really an viable substitute? Depending on the species combo present, could they pose a problem via prolific spawning and/or niche overlapping? I'm thinking mostly of the SMB/YP/RES combinations common on this forum or a SMB/RES only as recommended by the late Dr. Willis in a smallmouth article I read on BassResource.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
PS and RES are both in the same genetic family. Both have varied diets (much more than snails) but have the ability to eat /crush snails (pharyngeal teeth or crushers) . Most of your understandings are correct. The biggest differences are size and reproductive. PS can easily stunt or overpopulate if there is not enough predation. RES as best we collectively understand do not overpopulate or stunt. PS are cold tolerant where RES are not. There are several old PB articles on the question including Dave Willis South Dakota findings.

T
T
What did you feed to grow your RES that big. I’m in the south far eastern Ky and I just stocked a 1/8 acre pond with them.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:28 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 06:23 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images