Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
OP Offline
I
I just had fish delivered to my new pond on Wednesday. I came back today and noticed I had a ton of bluegill and fathead minnows dead on the shoreline. When they emptied the fish off the truck they netted them, threw them in a bucket and then the water. No acclimation. Should I assume they all died? Just trying to decide how to restock or if it was a water/ weather issue. Very frustrating. Anybody else have any fish stocking problems in a new pond? The pond is over half full and 8 feet deep. It is a mostly clay pond so the water has a bunch of suspended clay particles in it as it fills up.
https://youtu.be/5VINwKwdQvA
I stocked 750 bluegill, 250 res, 2000 fhm

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last file attached is my recent water sample

Attached Images
Screenshot_20200405-075541_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20200405-075317_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20200405-075659_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20200330-110236_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Last edited by IndianaMatt; 04/05/20 07:22 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I looked at your Youtube video of the dead fish. Your water was pretty muddy, actually highly muddy to be stocking fish into it, however fish can survive in very muddy water for relatively short periods; they do that all time in rivers and streams during flood events. To me it looks from the video that you have too high of a percentage of the stocked fish that died to be a poor quality of fish problem. However it is unknown it the stocking procedure was faulty.

First thing that I would do is a simple water quality test. Go get a bucket or or large tub of your pond water. Then get a few SMALL fish from your grandma's pond and put the fish into your container of pond water. Monitor it to see if they live or die in 3-7 days.

IMO I would not stock a lot of fish in highly turbid water like that in your pond. First I would let the water clear to at least 12" or better 16" before stocking fish. In pond water like you currently have, what will the newly stocked fish be expected to eat??. The water is too muddy for little if any plankton to grow in it. Phytoplankton needs to get sunlight for it to live, reproduce and thrive. The muddier water is from suspended clay and silt,,, the less phytoplankton that will grow in that water due to lack of sunlight penetration. Zooplankton needs phytoplankton to eat. Without both as adequate food the whole fish food chain suffers. Amount of that decrease is based of amount of plankton productivity. Plankton does not thrive in highly silty water. One cannot expect very many fish to grow very well or even survive very many months in continually highly muddy water similar to that currently in your pond.

From your past forum posts your goal was to raise trophy bass. IMO you will not be able to raise even medium sized bass in water continually that cloudy with suspended silt-clay. You want your water cloudiness due to or caused by PLANKTON not suspended clay-mud. Fish don't eat much in highly muddy water because there is not much present to eat. Plus certain types of very high concentrations of suspended silt or clay long term, can coat the gills of fish and be hard on the functioning of the gills for absorbing dissolved oxygen, thus suppressing the overall health of fish. The best quality fisheries and highest pounds of fish per acre thrive is water with clarity of 18" to 30" and that turbidity or cloudiness should be due to PLANKTON not suspended mud-clay. I would not spend good money to restock until you achieve a clarity of at least 12"-14".

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/05/20 11:32 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the reply. The pond is muddy because its a brand new pond. I'm waiting on the oats and rye to grow around the pond that I planted to keep the clay from going into the pond. I also have a feeder set up to feed the fish. I will follow your advice and not stock anything till I can get the suspended clay particles under control. I really appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to get a jump start on the spawning but it seems it may do more harm than good.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails