Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,967
Members18,502
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Rick O, canyoncreek, catscratch, Shorthose, Theo Gallus, KenHorton, liquidsquid, rjackson), 1,021 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I'm still in the planning stages for renovating my 2 acre pond in SE Pennsylvania. Currently has largemouth and bluegill in it. After renovation (which may include draining and dozing the bottom) I was thinking of adding hybrid striped bass. A few questions:
- will they survive the winters in southeast PA?
- should I feed them pelleted food?
- is it too expensive to try to keep them and the largemouth fed with forage fish?

Also, I realize Tilapia won't survive my winters but is there any benefit to putting them in for food (for me or the bass) in the spring?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rob A,

Yes!, hybrid striped bass will survive your winters. Actually New Jersey has had a hybrid striped bass program in several water bodies that has been quite successful.

Yes!, you should strongly consider supplemental feeding. Your striped bass hybrids will thrive and may eventually consider you to be their best friend.

Your third question is a little ambiguous. If you mean would it be expensive to supply them with live forage, then yes it would be expensive. Hence, the artificial feed. If your striped bass hybrid has a feed conversion ratio of 2:1 then it would take 3 pounds of artificial feed annually to provide for good growth. If you can acquire feed for 40 cents/pound then each fish will cost you $1.20/year for feed. You do the math...if this is a reasonable cost then you should consider doing it.

Got any other questions?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I'll chime in with Bruce. I concur with his thoughts, and want to add these. Check with Pennsylania DNR and make sure you can legally possess and stock these fish. Some states won't allow them.
Secondly, feeding is not an option...it is mandatory, if you intend to stock more than 5-10 per surface acre. Feeding is inexpensive and worthwhile to be sure an adequate food chain is always available.
Regarding tilapia, these fish are supplemental, temporary help for a permanent problem. See next issue for a real life tilapia experience from Larry Hartley, Pond Boss subscriber and lurker of this site. He provided solid information for the story.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RobA - A little more advice regarding HSBass. Feeding them will also allow you to monitor their current size (growth) and to better keep track of their numbers since they are a schooling fish. Feeding HSB is one of the most exciting fish to feed by hand due to their enthusiastic feeding behavior. As Bob sugggested check the PA DNR fish regulations as homework before stocking.
HSB seem to "get along" well with LM bass esp if the HSB are fed pellets.

If you stock tilapia you will probably have to stock fairly large individuals to get harvestable fish before 60F to 55F temps in the fall.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
RobA,

As Bob mentioned I've had a full growing season's experience with Tilapia and HSB in the same pond. Both performed spectacularly. However, that is in very temperate East Texas. Your growing season would be much shorter and the Tilapia would not be expected to grow out as large. However you should still get the benefits of forage and pond clean-up from the Tilapia.

If you are interested in Tilapia as food....remember they are very difficult to catch. I found HSB and Tilapia to be very compatible. The HSB really feasted on the stunned cold Tilapia at the end of the season.

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Sounds like the HSB should be relatively easy to do. Not sure if the tilapia are worth it. Are they inexpensive?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
In Texas my cost is $10 per pound..and they are worth every penny of that and more...but your situation is different.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
did you go with the reccomended 10# per acre with the tilapia

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
No, not in all cases. In one pond with really bad algae, I stocked heavier, 15 to 20 pounds per acre, in other ponds with less algae, I stocked 5 pounds per acre. They reproduce so fast that you will have the forage almost regardless, but for more effective algae control, I just feel more of the larger fish are better...also to get maximum algae control don't feed artificially until the Tilapia consume the algae.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ML,

What's the lethal temp for tilapia? Probably been talked about before but I couldn't access it.

Bruce

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Bruce,

They start the dieing process at 55 degrees...they begin by going into a funny "rain dance"...and by 50 degrees water temp they are all expired....that's for Mozambique. The Nile or others may be different.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
have you ever considered trying to save some adults over the winter to restock in the spring?

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
Does Pond Boss have a hatcheries resource so that those of us who are searching for HSB and or Tilapia may be able to find them anywhere in the country?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
James,

Recent discussion on over wintering Tilapia:

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=000312

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
RobA,

In may of this year I stocked 120 HSB in a 2 acre pond in Western Ohio. The fish averaged 4 to 5 inches when I put them in. Supplemental feeding with a 42% protein feed is all I do for them and they are growing like crazy.

I stocked them to reduce the sunfish and smaller bluegill in hopes of getting the BG sizes up where they should be.

I think they'll do well for you and they are a blast to watch and catch-they already pull harder than most of my BG-LOL

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
RobA, even more than with HSB, check on the legality of having Tilapia in PA. For good reasons your DNR may not allow them. You could end up in more trouble than you ever wanted to think about.

Norm Kopecky
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Kopecky:
For good reasons your DNR may not allow them.
Norm,

Just curious...what would be the good reasons not to allow Tilapia in private ponds?

R
RobA Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I forgot I even posted this topic way back in February. I am way behind in fixing the pond and have not even addressed all of the problems yet: watermeal, beavers, leaks, 18 inches of muck, old drainpipe. I'm still thinking of draining the pond and having someone bulldoze it out and hopefully fix the problems. While I haven't put a lot of effort into it I still haven't found someone to do the work yet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Theo Gallus - 04/26/24 07:16 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:58 AM
Low Alkalinity
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:49 AM