Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by Bocomo
Hi guys as some of you know our pond's in Boone County but I live and work in Los Angeles. We're on shelter-in-place. I shut down my lab and sent my staff home for two months (with pay). Stay safe out there, stay clean, and stay home if you can, please.

10-4 bro...be safe, wish you were in Boone county...grateful for your efforts to take care of your employees...you're a model - hunker down and ping me for fishery goals this season...you're a fellow SMB addict, right?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
That's correct. The respiratory issues with COVID-19 are are caused by a virus. Azithromycin is kinda sorta a ramped up Amoxicillin, and both are for upper body bacterial infections.

Al take a look at this story....it's interesting.

"A new study whose results were published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents has found early evidence that the combination of hydroxychloroquine, a popular anti-malaria drug known under the trade name Plaqenuil, and antibiotic azithromycin (aka Zithromax or Azithrocin) could be especially effective in treating the COVID-19 coronavirus and reducing the duration of the virus in patients"

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/f...ic-combo-could-reduce-covid-19-duration/

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
Scientists do not carry malpractice policies.

yes it might be difficult to sue a scientist

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
riots/looting? I'm maintaining hope we don't go "baboon" that quickly

TJ 3 weeks ago I bought some shotgun shells on AmmoToGo.com, today I tried to buy more. Every single 12 gauge shell they sell was SOLD OUT.

CDC predicts mid to late May until policies should be "eased"...if we collectively go to pot that quickly, hard to imagine what things will emerge in 6-8 weeks. Do you feel it getting edgy out there? What's your gut feeling? Over-reaction?

I was feeling pretty optimistic until I read this doom and gloom story today....I don't buy it....but we must prepare....but if it blows up that big....things could very rough.....very rough...not so much from the virus but from economic issues.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...aths-even-with-extreme-prevention-steps/

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Lunker
Lunker
I’m going to trust science and trust humanity. If for no other reason than the positive intention aspect of it. I’m a firm believer that will impact our direction - but yes, important to be prepared. I’m grateful I live in the Midwest during these times.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

W
W
Originally Posted by Zep
wbuffetjr...even if the figures from China were ten times worse than they report, it would be about like annual flu deaths in US.

We are 5-6 times more population than Italy and it still would not be anywhere near 2.5 million deaths...it would be around 21,000 or less than annual US flu deaths. Plus Italy has one of the highest elderly populations in Europe.

China may not have Panama Beach, but tens of millions live in very close quarters and many live in squalor.

Again.. it is a very serious situation...yes corona is more contagious than flu....

But with the flu and corona the vast majority do not require hospitalization and do not die from it.

I just think we need to take a lot of precaution, but not shut down the economy.

Zep - trust me I do not want to shut down the economy. We are doing our second round of lay offs today. My wife and I own a restaurant so you can imagine how directly we are impacted.

Having said that...

China is more prepared for something like this than the US or Europe. Yes they may live in squalor, but they are veterans when it comes to this kind of stuff. The infectious disease shows up and out come the masks, etc.

You said "We are 5-6 times more population than Italy and it still would not be anywhere near 2.5 million deaths...it would be around 21,000 or less than annual US flu deaths." I would say Italy is basically only 4 weeks into this thing. I also read Italy has 3.2 hospital beds per 1,000 people. The US has 2.8 beds per 1,000. I think it will take much less than we realize to over run the health system and that's when things will start to get really bad.

They have said China's possible first patient was possibly in November. Unfortunately, I think things are going to get much worse before they get better. Look at Spain - they have 4% of China's population and they are fast approaching 50% of the deaths in China. Either China is lying or they are better at dealing with this than the rest of the world.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
More and more cities are going into lockdown here in the USA. Better to do it now rather than later I think. Zep, it's tough not to worry about how our economy is going to handle it. My financial guy has called me three or four times in the last 10 days suggesting to me to buy and buy more stock. It's a once in a generation opportunity he says. Most every time he calls the market will drop again. Heck, it's hard for me not to sell, sell, sell. But I have faith that the USA economy will work it all out, so plans are to stay the course. Keep the faith smile

Last edited by TGW1; 03/21/20 07:15 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by TGW1
My financial guy has called me three or four times in the last 10 days suggesting to me to buy and buy more stock. It's a once in a generation opportunity he says. Most every time he calls the market will drop again. Heck, it's hard for me not to sell, sell, sell. Keep the faith smile

Tracy...I hear ya. Alaska Airlines is a stock I watch. It had been near $70 a share in December. So when I saw it in the mid-thirties last week I jumped in...but got scared the next day and jumped out....glad I did because now it's at $23.56. Baron Rothschild an 18th-century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying something like "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets". But good grief that takes guts. The Oct 11, 2007...crash the worst since the great depression...everybody freaked and sold....but if they had held....the market was back to basically the same level within 18 months. Hard to tell how and when this Corona Crash will end and play out.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
Zep - trust me I do not want to shut down the economy. We are doing our second round of lay offs today. My wife and I own a restaurant so you can imagine how directly we are impacted.

Sorry to hear that wbuffetjr....I know it is really bad for restaurants. In Dallas they are trying to be creative with take-out and actually selling eggs and stuff....I am afraid if this lasts very long...most of them won't make enough to weather this storm. The governor is even allowing them to deliver alcohol drinks if someone orders food.

Having said that...
I would say Italy is basically only 4 weeks into this thing. I also read Italy has 3.2 hospital beds per 1,000 people. The US has 2.8 beds per 1,000. I think it will take much less than we realize to over run the health system and that's when things will start to get really bad.

It is interesting that "99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness", Italy Says.
I think Italy has the highest aged population in Europe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

R
R
From The Weather Channel Android App: https://weather.com/news/trending/v...thing-this-radar-caught?pl=pl-the-latest This has nothing to do with CORONA but it is interesting. I know alot of you fellas live in Texas so you might have already heard about this before. Up here in kansas we dont see many bats. We have them come out at night a few times a year but never see huge masses of them anywhere.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Originally Posted by Zep
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
That's correct. The respiratory issues with COVID-19 are are caused by a virus. Azithromycin is kinda sorta a ramped up Amoxicillin, and both are for upper body bacterial infections.

Al take a look at this story....it's interesting.

"A new study whose results were published in the International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents has found early evidence that the combination of hydroxychloroquine, a popular anti-malaria drug known under the trade name Plaqenuil, and antibiotic azithromycin (aka Zithromax or Azithrocin) could be especially effective in treating the COVID-19 coronavirus and reducing the duration of the virus in patients"

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/f...ic-combo-could-reduce-covid-19-duration/

Yes, I've seen that. Various labs are trying different angles at this. Let's hope one is shown to work after proper testing. Inadequate testing can result in drugs like thalidomide, and we don't want that.

At this point, I'm out of my comfort zone. Maybe RAH will know more about the testing process.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 03/21/20 10:05 AM.

AL

R
R
Another day staying out of the public. Found some puzzles and thought the group would like this one. Looks like a good place to be right now.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20200321-110920_Gallery.jpg

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
W
W
A long, but great, read!!

Evidence Over Hysteria

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014

Wow....you ain't kidding....great read!

I thought these points were interesting...

"Dr. Paul Auwaerter, the Clinical Director for the Division of Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine echoes this finding, “If you have a COVID-19 patient in your household, your risk of developing the infection is about 10%….If you were casually exposed to the virus in the workplace your chance of infection is about 0.5%”. According to Dr. Auwaerter, these transmission rates are very similar to the seasonal flu. There isn’t a single death reported below the age of 10 in the world and most children who test positive don’t show symptoms. 93% of people who think they are positive aren’t and 95% of people who are tested aren’t positive.1% of cases will be severe. Globally, 80–85% of all cases are mild. These will not require a hospital visit and home-based treatment/ no treatment is effective"

D
D
It occurred to me that this "leveling the curve," delaying the full onset of the virus on our populace, also gains time for folk who would get sick and need ameliorative drugs and vaccines, not yet available.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
W
W
Originally Posted by Zep

Wow....you ain't kidding....great read!

I thought these points were interesting...

"Dr. Paul Auwaerter, the Clinical Director for the Division of Infectious Diseases at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine echoes this finding, “If you have a COVID-19 patient in your household, your risk of developing the infection is about 10%….If you were casually exposed to the virus in the workplace your chance of infection is about 0.5%”. According to Dr. Auwaerter, these transmission rates are very similar to the seasonal flu. There isn’t a single death reported below the age of 10 in the world and most children who test positive don’t show symptoms. 93% of people who think they are positive aren’t and 95% of people who are tested aren’t positive.1% of cases will be severe. Globally, 80–85% of all cases are mild. These will not require a hospital visit and home-based treatment/ no treatment is effective"

I agree Zep. At this point there is so much conflicting information out there it makes it difficult to be correctly informed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I've been battling Lymes on and off since August '15. The last regimen of medications I was on was 500mg of Azithromycin and 400mg of Chloroquine daily for several months back in 2019.

So that combo has been around for a while as some kind of knock-out punch.

I see a few states have gone for the (30) day in-home plan.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Sunil
IThe last regimen of medications I was on was 500mg of Azithromycin and 400mg of Chloroquine daily for several months back in 2019.

Sunil...is that a once a week regimen and did you see many side-effects?

I
I
Zep I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about. I understand you, because even up to a month ago I said more or less the same things, but the reality is, unfortunately, very different. It is not an influence. Not only the elderly die (and even if it were, it wouldn't seem good news to me anyway); it seems only because they are the first to die, being weaker and often already sick, but now young and healthy are also dying. We are running out of beds in intensive care and building brand new dedicated structures everywhere. Doctors and nurses are getting infected. Even asymptomatics are contagious and many of those who heal still have permanent lung damage. The transmissibility is much greater than the flu, not to mention that there is no vaccine for covid and it is a "new" and more lethal virus. The world would not have been blocked if it were less of an influence.This is a real confirmed and official pandemic. Here we've been in for two months. The first case was discovered a month ago. Yesterday evening the prime minister decreed the almost total lockdown of all non-fundamental activities, because despite the blockade a little less drastic of 10 days ago there were no drops in the number of infections, but both the infected and the dead increased of all ages.
6 people I know have tested positive. 2 have already died without being able to even greet their loved ones and without a funeral (78, 59), 3 are in intensive care and 1 is asymptomatic in quarantine at home.
I don't want to teach anyone anything, but if you don't trust me, read the official and reliable sources globally.
Stay home. For you, for your loved ones, for doctors and nurses, for everyone.

Filippo
I
I
PS no one needs money inside a coffin. Sad but true.

Filippo
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
ItalyBass....I will be the first to say...like you...I am not a doctor or a "scientist"....so you are correct in that "I" don't know what I am talking about, but I beg to differ with you that my sources "don't know what they are talking about". Just yesterday a source was Dr. Paul Auwaerter the Clinical Director for the Division for Infectious Diseases at John Hopkins University School of Medicine. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/directory/profile/0000525/paul-auwaerter

I am very sorry about the tragic situation in Italy. I sincerely hope the Italian people see an improvement soon and the infection and mortality rates begin their decline as we have seen in China, South Korea, Taiwan..etc..
Be safe and God Bless.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
zep, that was the daily dosage. The main side effect was the sh*ts.

ItalyBASS, your updates are much appreciated. We're praying for you.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Sunil
zep, that was the daily dosage. The main side effect was the sh*ts.

Sunil....lets hope it may provide some help....see the 2:33 point of this video:

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Let's hope it works in spite of the endorsement from a very unreliable source.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by RAH
Let's hope it works in spite of the endorsement from a very unreliable source.

what like the FDA?

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/...r-compassionate-use-in-treating-covid-19

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??