Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,100
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
12 members (FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Boondoggle, Layne, Dylanfrely, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689, Sunil), 702 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#517577 03/04/20 04:05 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey guys new to the forum first post here. I live in South Georgia and have a 1/8 to 1/4 acre pond. It’s roughly 10ft in the middle and it’s stocked with bluegill and channel cats. It also has bass in it from the previous owners but I’ve been removing a lot of them to try and get a more healthy population between the three. The pond is bare for the most part besides an occasional shrub here or there over hanging the water and the three Xmas trees I have thrown in there over the years. It has zero plants in it and the filamentous algae has started to become a problem. It’s not horrible and I’ve sprayed cutrine to try and keep it under control but I read where plants would take some nutrients out of the water and help to keep the algae at bay while also adding habitat that’s much needed for the young fish to hide. Sorry for the long post I’ll post a picture next time. Any advice would be great on what plants would be good for South Georgia that would be aesthetically nice to look at while serving the purpose of adding habitat and controlling algae. Thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If tilapia are allowed in GA get some tilapia and they will control your FA (filamentous algae). in your small pond depending on your amount of algae - start with 4 to 6 pounds of Tilapia. More towards 6 lb if you want faster FA control. Watch how they perform and adjust numbers next year. If the FA is pretty abundant before you add Tilapia then trim back the FA with your Cutrine-Plus before adding T.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/04/20 09:04 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Mr. Cody for your reply. Looks like talapia aren’t going to be an option after looking on the DNR website for GA. The algae is very minimum right now I’m just trying to be proactive before it gets to be a problem. Would you recommend lilies and hornwort for a pond this size? I don’t mind every now and then taking some out if it gets to be too much. I just feel like something needs to be added for some habitat for the bluegill spawn they’re easy pickens for the bass with the pond being so bare and also would help to filter out some nutrients from the water. Any suggestions are appreciated since we can’t do the talapia here. Thanks

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Marginal plants and water lilies work for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
OP Offline
J
That’s looks great man. Definitely wanting to do something similar in my own pond. Did you order plants online and if so from where or are those just natural? Do you have any submerged plants like hornwort or anything?

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I bought the original water lilies from Lowes and got more from a friend. Many suggest planting them in pots or getting dwarf varieties to lessen their spread, but mine are large spreading types. We initially ordered marginal plants from a native-plant nursery in Indiana, but populated additional ponds on our place by splitting plants. We used a DNR program designed to establish wildlife habitat to defer costs on the original plant purchase and also to seed surrounding ground with prairie plants. You might see what is available in your local. We really love our place!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P.S. Protect those original plants! We did by placing thorny honey locust branches over them, but many just temporarily fence them off.

Last edited by RAH; 03/05/20 10:02 AM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
JordyM It is a yes for lilies. I suggest that you start with a few small varieties (spread 2-5ft) of hardy water lilies. They spread slow so don't be afraid to buy several. If you are cautious then buy several dwarf or miniature lilies. All lilies are easily controlled with glysophate.

IMO it is a big NO for the hornwort aka Ceratophyllum dimersum. it can spread way too fast and cause you long term problems in a pond. It is not rooted and comes out easily but grows very fast.

If you want a slower spreading short submerged plant for GA climate then get some short growing spiral eel grass (aka cork screw eelgrass Vallisneria spiralis or V, biawensis) and or dwarf Sagittaria subulata. These plants prefer warmer winter conditions of more southern US. Vallisneria americana grows too tall 4-7ft; I don't suggest it. They spread very slowly so you may want to buy 50-100 of each. I would plant some direct into the pond and some in a shallow basin or tub. As they multiply transplant the clumps into the pond to insure good establishment.

J
OP Offline
J
Thank y'all for the all the help. I think I'm going to get a few different lilies and see how they do. A little off topic but my pond has been stocked with channel cats and copper nose BG. LMB were already in there when I got the property. I feed the CC and BG a few times a week. I like catching bass but understand my pond is really not big enough for that to be the main focus. Would you suggest keeping the bass population to a minimum to give more size to the few that would be left in there or just trying to remove them all together?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Managing the bass has a lot to do with your goals for the fishery. If you want more larger BG then it is best to have more smaller bass who eat primarily the smaller BG (1.5"-3") who need the most cropping to allow better growth for the remaining BG. If you want a few large bass then you want to remove lots of bass and have lots of small BG to keep those big bass well fed on larger 4"-6" BG. Remember the bass prefer eating BG around 1/4-1/3 the body length of the bass. You small pond will support a few 3-5 Larger 16"+ bass or about 13-18 10"-13" bass. Somewhere in the middle can be achieved with good management and have the bass who eat pellets. If you have bass that don't eat pellets you can replace them 1:1 with pellet trained bass or some hybrid striped bass..

There is lots of good fish information in the Common Pond Q&A Archives
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

See these links for helpful pond plant information
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=110943#Post110943

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=517612#Post517612

Beneficial pond plants
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=440475#Post440475

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/05/20 02:11 PM.

P
P

P.S. Protect those original plants! We did by placing thorny honey locust branches over them, but many just temporarily fence them off.[/quote]

I second this! I spent much of last year establishing some arrowhead plants and they were doing well so this spring so I took the chicken wire off...2 weeks later the turtles (I think) ate through every stem smirk

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!