Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
R
R
Welcome to the club. If you havnt already take some pictures. Share the om here or at least for youself. It always nice being able to see how much you change things.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
North Texas covers a lot of acreage. What town?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
M
I bought a kit and plan to check it and see what it looks like. Thanks for the tip for sure.

M
M
Denison

F
F
Howdy folks. I'm new to the forum. Thinking of putting a 1/3 acre pond in on my property in Northern Virginia. Need to clear the site of trees. It's in a natural drainage area with a seasonal/wet-weather stream bed flowing into it. Haven't reached out for any professional help yet....just in early stages of planning.

Is there a forum you recommend I join to get some planning tips?

Thanks!

R
R
Welcome to the club. I would start by drawing a picture of what the finished product is you want. Maybe drive around and see what you like with what you have to work with. What are your goals for it? Do you want it for swimming or fish or both? Mine then main reason is for looks. And we also love the wildlife that comes with it. Me and the kids was catching frogs tonight for example.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
T
T
Tony from Ky Trex83 on here. Recently built a pond for fishing and maybe swimming.

J
J
My name is Joe Van and I’m new to this forum, I have a 9 acre pre existing pond that was once full of trophy bass. The pond was built in 1991 the year I got out of college, I moved off in 1998 and no ones has really kept the pond up for the next 24 years. I recently moved back home and I am wanting to learn as much as I can about pond maintenance and growing more of those big bass! I can’t wait to hear from some of you and the things you do to grow big bass, thanks!

Joe Van Kilpatrick

S
S
Welcome to the forum Joe. Lots of good info and good people on this forum.

Good luck with your new project. It has been fun for me.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome Joe. 2 things: Water quality and balance.

Big bass need forage/prey that is approx. 1/3 their size. It's a matter of energy expended vs calories obtained.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
N
Hello Everyone! I am Peter. I am new to the forum. Fishing is my passion. I came across this site when searching for some information regarding the ponds. It's a great platform to share knowledge and experiences and to learn more from others.

flyfisherpro.com
D
Online Content
D
Hello,

I am Steve(Donatello on here) from Ellsworth Co. KS. I am in the first year of My Pond Project that was started in June of 2020 and I am now too broke to pay attention! My friends and I have done all the work ourselves and after 88hrs on the rented D6T and 50 in the excavator we have what seems too resemble a pond. I love the Conversations on here and Can't wait to fish and swim in the new pond! My Buddies kids have already been in it multiple times

Acres 5 2.5 Deep (6-20ft) and 2.5 Shallow (less than 5ft)

Hope you all are doing great!

Steve

5 Acre Pond- Ave Depth 7 ft- Max Depth 18 Ft.
A
A
Hey Everyone, Mike from Alaska. Just bought a 40 acre recreational property with lakefront on a lake stocked with Rainbows. There are 3 seasonal ponds on the property , each about an acre or so in size. I am considering making one or more into a permanent pond that I can stock. Just popping in here to get some ideas and see what this whole process would entail!

M
M
Hi folks! I'm new to the forum, and new to pond ownership. We purchased a just over 2 acre property last December here in the Heart of Texas (land is just south of Waco proper) to build on in the next year or two, and it has a small pond in one corner. It seems to be fed by a natural spring, and I want to find that source. But its under a great deal of brambles, Virginia creeper, poison ivy, and Greenbriar. What we can see is that on the USGS maps, the area is marked at marshland. In 1938 maps, there is no pond. In 1955 maps, there is a pond. We think that the pond was dug in the post WW2 boom, which was also when Lake Waco was created by damming the Bosque River. I've seen little bitty fish, lots of saw grass, several trees (one sycamore that is growing from the middle of the pond). The south half of the pond extends on to neighboring property, where cows drink and they have the shore line largely cleared. Our game camera has caught a pair of possums, 3 raccoons (1 pair and a single), a single fox, several armadillos and 1 Great Blue Heron. Cows to the south, goats to the north :P yes, in the middle of a neighborhood.

We have 2 boys and are concerned about cotton mouths. The poison ivy loves the wet around the pond. And the greenbrier just loves all of it. I've read enough Jack London to know that The Wild is out to kill you, and I've watched the Italian Job enough times to know not to mess with Mother freaking Nature. We want this to be a fun place to sit and watch birds and critters, a migrating bird sanctuary. I'm a permaculture gardener, I love ecology, and I get all excited thinking about figuring out this pond and this land.

"Truth is as subjective as reality."
P
P
Welcome to the forum Mama
Treat it like eating an elephant...... one bite at a time..... eventually you will get it

1 member likes this: Mama Rachael
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Step one, to me,is to spray the poison ivy.

1 member likes this: Mama Rachael
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Step one, to me,is to spray the poison ivy.

If you can find a guy or a rental place that has a skid steer with a Fecon Head on it, you can chip all that brush back, and chip up small trees, then when it starts to grow back spray it to kill it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
R
Richard C, Kaufman Texas near Dallas. Purchased our property and built a house on it a couple of years ago. Pond is a mess. Maybe a Half Acre in size and 25 to 30 willows around it, many covered from the base of the tree to the top in poison Ivy. Pond doesnt go dry in summers but goes down fast due to all the willows I assume. Filled with weeds due to all the shallows. About 10 to 15 foot deep in the middle. Found someone to work on it finally but I needed to drain it. I had to lay out some pallets since I was sinking in the silt up past my knees. Finally tied a rope around suction hose and went to opposite side of pond, tied it round a tree and use it to pull the line out to the middle of the pond. Anyways, Finished draining it today and now we just need to let some of the mud dry up.

I came across this site as I was searching for the the right way to turn this into a good fishing pond. I had read somewhere a couple of years ago that you shouldnt put black bass in a pond unless you have two acres of pond. Is that true? This one had some decent sized black bass in it.

Well, I will be reading quit a bit to figure out how to shape this hole into a good pond to support Perch and catfish for sure.
I was thinking about adding a waterfall on the back of it for aeration. Any feedback on that?

Thanks,
Look forward to reading what everyone has to say about ponds and maybe asking a few questions of my own

S
S
Hello. I'm new here, and actually only recently decided that I wanted to make a backyard pond. Therefore, I decided to study the theory of this issue and first of all I registered on the forum to chat with experts.

B
B
Originally Posted by superjacob
Hello. I'm new here, and actually only recently decided that I wanted to make a backyard pond. Therefore, I decided to study the theory of this issue and first of all I registered on the forum to chat with experts.
Welcome to the forum and the journey to pond ownership!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
L
L
Hi everyone, my name is Rob and I'm moving back to my hometown of Edinboro Pa after a long career in the military. I bought 35 acres with Cussewago creek running through it and it has lots of potential for ponds. I will graduate this spring with an associates degree in Fisheries Sciences with focus on salmonids.
I intend to dig a pond or two for fishing and raising food for personal use and possibly a small scale fish farm. I have visited this forum in the past and finally getting around to joining. My main finfish interests are Trout, Perch and Walleye, and creating natural food webs to support them.

I look forward to interacting and learning from the group.

Rob

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Rob, welcome back to PA!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

L
L
This site is great! I am new to forum but not new to ponds or fish. But I have learned more here the last few months than I had my 52 years on this earth. Thanks for having this my name is Bill

2 members like this: anthropic, jpsdad
S
S
Welcome Bill!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
1 member likes this: jpsdad
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome Bill

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images