Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bayard Hollins, caitlin, Christopher Harm, mcbzx225, OhioDarin
16359 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16359 Members
36 Forums
37373 Topics
509464 Posts

Max Online: 3583 @ 01/15/20 02:21 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24219
ewest 20066
Cecil Baird1 20043
Dave Davidson1 14205
Bill Cody 13148
Who's Online
9 registered (KneeDeep, Uncle Shawn, RStringer, Clay N' Pray, Dave Davidson1, anthropic, nvcdl, Brettski, Flame), 186 Guests and 727 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#160393 - 04/24/09 03:22 PM Keeping muskrats out of the bank
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: Northeastern Indiana
How effective is large rip rap limetone stone in keeping muskrats from digging into a bank? My guess is it depends on how much, but they still might find an opening? Anyone have rip rap and can indicate if they still have rat problems?

Has anyone been desperate enough to lay out a roll of fence material just above the water line down into the water the full width of the fence to keep them from digging? It doesn't seem like it would be difficult as my main pond is drained for maintenance.

One of my small reproduction ponds has a dike that is not really as wide as it should be (although it's fine if the rats don't dig into it) due to property line constaints. Other than removing all cattails that are a food source, I'm wondering if there is any more I can do to not allow the to dig into the banks.

I do trap them out every year but I'd like to prevent them from digging in the first place.

Edited by Cecil Baird1 (04/24/09 03:23 PM)

#160397 - 04/24/09 03:34 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
Bing Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014

Lunker

Loc: Fayette County Illinois
One of my ponds has fencing material laid down on the lake side and extending into the water. The other pond has rip rap on the face. I've not had any muskrat problem with rats on either dam. My muskrats have all made dens further up the lake, generally at the mouth of coves.

Bing

#160409 - 04/24/09 06:19 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Bing]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Good to hear!

#160429 - 04/24/09 10:59 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Cecil:

Some of the houses that I trapped at had seawalls that went down 1' below the bottom of the lake and the 'rats still dug under it. I've never seen them dig any deeper than that tho. Water depth there was 18" to the lake bottom.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#160500 - 04/25/09 09:33 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: esshup]
CJBS2003 Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Loc: northern VA
My dad has a seawall at his house in a salt marsh creek. The muskrats are constantly digging under it. When its low tide the wall is exposed, at high tide water is 3' up on it...

#160650 - 04/26/09 09:40 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: CJBS2003]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My dad has a seawall at his house in a salt marsh creek. The muskrats are constantly digging under it. When its low tide the wall is exposed, at high tide water is 3' up on it...

CJ:

Any idea how far down into the dirt the seawall is placed?

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#161079 - 04/28/09 11:04 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
bryani289swmi Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: SW Michigan
Cecil,

When MWHF put in my dam they buried some chain link fence on the pond facing slope. Seems to have worked thus far.

Bryan

#163564 - 05/13/09 11:49 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: bryani289swmi]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Cecil,

When MWHF put in my dam they buried some chain link fence on the pond facing slope. Seems to have worked thus far.

Bryan

What does MWHF stand for? It's been driving me crazy!

#163585 - 05/14/09 05:49 AM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
otto Offline
Lunker

Loc: texas
Me too

#163600 - 05/14/09 08:43 AM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: otto]
Theo Gallus Offline
Lunker

Loc: Central Ohio
I was scared to ask.

#164234 - 05/18/09 09:33 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: otto]
bryani289swmi Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Loc: SW Michigan
Sorry, I was out for a couple days. Michigan Wildlife habitat Foundation.

#164270 - 05/18/09 11:46 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: bryani289swmi]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Sorry, I was out for a couple days. Michigan Wildlife habitat Foundation.

Thanks Bry. Would never have guessed!

#516393 - 02/03/20 05:58 PM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: bryani289swmi]
jimwaltman Offline

Loc: MS
i have a hole (have pics dont know how to download them) in my dam from beavers. Thinking about putting used chainlink down without post. How do i keep them flat and in place

#516402 - 02/04/20 12:41 AM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: jimwaltman]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Originally Posted By: jimwaltman
i have a hole (have pics dont know how to download them) in my dam from beavers. Thinking about putting used chainlink down without post. How do i keep them flat and in place

Take #3 or #4 rebar. Heat or otherwise bend the end so it looks like an upside down J. Leave the long part 12"-18" or so long, the short part 3"-4". Use those as "staples" to hold the chain link in place like tent stakes except pound them all the way into the ground. If it was mine, I'd start at the top and bottom corners, and put a staple every 6'-8' along the edge.

#516550 - 02/09/20 06:33 AM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
Zeke76 Offline

Loc: Northwest Georgia
One or more persons on a front porch or other viewing location close by (although the range of engagement can be increased... IMHO a person should be within 100yds) One Rifle w/some type of solid rest for steadying the Semi-Automatic or Bolt Action weapon chambered in .17HMR(IMHO) & your choice of magnification in a rifle scope mounted with a quick release cam action fastener onto a picatinny type rail for daytime engagements if any are currently un-threatened, and have any diurnal habits or boldly unabashed tendencies you may have noticed about their habits previously, before they're observed, then engaged by an operator posted at a site which you've pre-determined as being your projectile's barrel disembarking point and they wise up because of a miss, multiple critters out at the same time and only one get's engaged, or they just are aware and cautious from that point on cause that's how they roll in your body of water... now only coming out at night.
So then, at that point... I'll change the tactics I've attempted to use previously on them and immediately go about about swapping out my quick release mounted normal daytime glass lensed scope for my ATN THOR LT 3-6x Thermal Imaging Scope and get closer if I want, walk around the edge, change my shooting nest location, or do nothing at all other than sit and wait on darkness or another muskrat to come out before darkness arrives, because the thermal scopes work just fine in the daylight as well as at night. I have "#zero" 'skrats in my ponds and more enjoyed time with friends or relatives sitting and conversing or even fishing quietly than I would've ever had if I were intstead... completely go around the edge & w(rap) my riparian zone with an expensive 4-6"(baby surge) or 6-12"(surge stone) sized rip-rap rock, that I'd been forced to purchase then have to more than likely hand place it for the finished look moving those HEAVY 6-12" surge stone" type of rock by stacking them in their final resting area 1 at a time... muskrats are WAYYY lighter in weight and (IMHO) About 100% more fun & challenging to stack than "RIFF RAFF" ROCKS as I've heard it called by more that a few. Maybe now at least you know where the name rip rap came from. I hope I haven't offended anyone and lowering the total number of the heard decibel's from the rifle's report(pew-pew) upon engagement is an optional piece equipment which normally increases your overall success rate pretty substantially... but I've only heard such talk of..and have not ever witnessed it's positive or negative results firsthand for myself...

#516759 - 02/13/20 07:08 AM Re: Keeping muskrats out of the bank [Re: Cecil Baird1]
Blaze Offline

Loc: IL
Yep, I either give mine an extra dose of vitamin BB, or they seem to die from lead poisoning.

Today's Birthdays
edwin strickland, mikesavage, Mobley HVAC
Recent Posts
Pros & Cons of Spring Fed Ponds
by Uncle Shawn
Otter Sighted in Pond
by nvcdl
06:38 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by RStringer
06:11 PM
Get together in East Texas
by Dave Davidson1
05:24 PM
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by Dave Davidson1
05:11 PM
Overstocked
by Bayard Hollins
03:55 PM
Should I stock tilapia?
by Bill Cody
03:51 PM
3-5" BG...Optimal BG or Jr?
by NEDOC
11:23 AM
How long does it last (treatment) ?
by TGW1
07:09 AM
Question about Stocking a large body of water
by anthropic
12:11 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Getting photos on this forum is a PITA!
Retreat
I Subscribe Permanent Link
Need Plants Identified - Texas Pond - Lily Pad ...
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide