Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
at this link:

http://www.pbase.com/jjbaird/fish

2.81 lbs. 16 1/4 inches and a girth of 13.0 inches.

Not bragging just thought some of you might want to see the pictures.

Anyone know if it's possible to take this link with future pics and put them here on the pond boss website?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
WOW, Cecil what a catch, great pics.Your description in the other post does not do this fish justice "congrats" Did you send Lynch a note on this ?? I would.

What a fish! I've been following the other threads on this - congratulations, Cecil! If they're anything like the perch in Texas he must have given you a run for your money! What did you catch him with?

Are you inquiring about inserting photos into a post, or something else?

I also checked your taxidermy website - very impressive!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks guys.

Tea Lea Evergreen, yes I have contacted Bill Lynch via email(supplier for perch) about the state record. Haven't heard anything back yet, but I suspect he is at a NCRAC conference. However, I got this perch orginally from Dr. Dave Smith of FFO although it may have come originally come from Lynch.

Yes 82Martin I wanted to know how to add pics in the future to this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Got the fish on a rosy red fat head fished on a single hook below a slip bobber. Of course it was through the ice.

Had two friends over to fish today for da big big perch. They left before the evening bite started due to the fact it was raining. The record stays intact another day! Whew! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ah - well, that's easy enough, Cecil. Go to where the image you want to use is located and right click on the image, then click "properties" from the menu that opens. The resulting box will have the URL of the picture. Copy the URL and then paste it in the post box here with [ IMG ] at the begining and [ /IMG ] at the end (without the extra spaces). Or you can use the IMAGE button and it will put the code in for you; you just have to paste the URL. You should use images at a hosting site like the one you have your pics at; linking to a photo at a standard website may be frowned upon as "bandwidth theft" by private websites. This method works on most other message boards as well.

One fat yellow boy:

This record fatty kinda makes up for all those bones...

H
H
All I can say is... WOW!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Martin,

Thanks for posting the photo. A friend of mine want to know if it's one of those three eyed fish from the Simpsons. \:D

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
WOW, talk about genetic superiority!
I wish I had some young-uns from this brood stock.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ed,

I'm not convinced it is genetic superiority. In my opinion it's a matter of getting a fish that had plenty to eat (feed trained) from the get go to reach maximum growing potential. If a fish is behind in growth from the beginning it will always be below it's maximum size potential.

These fish were fed from the time they started to feed to the time I got them at only 2 years of age at about 9 inches. I.e. a typical wild perch the age of this fish at four to five years of age would be only about 8 inches in length.

I know one individual that is getting even faster growth in indoor tanks (RAS) by feeding them and keeping them at optimum growing temps year around. He can get them to 9 inches in one year.

Additonally the pond I have these perch in is very fertile with a typical seehci dish reading in summer of 12 to 18 inches due to the phytoplankton bloom. If I could intensely feed these perch without the bass crowding them away from the feed, I believe I could get even better growth and ultimate size.

For those of you who are not that familiar with yellow perch, be aware that part of this fish's girth is due to an egg mass that can account for 20 percent of a perch's body weight just for spawning.

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Cecil,

What is the optimal growing temp for yellow perch? And what is the best growing range? i.e. minimum and maximum growing temp.

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Cecil,
I guess fish are similar to other livestock in their growth habits. If a calf or pig gets off to a slow start on feed for any reason, it stunts or "runts" as some call it.
The difference with mammals is they can be easily observed, while fish sometimes go un-noticed in their watery environment.

Still, in order to get a deer to attain its maximum antler potential it needs: (1) Some age, (2) Great nutrition, and (3) genetic potential. You have successfully achieved all 3 with your perch. I believe I'm suffering from perch envy!

I would like to post a picture of our latest perch pond but; it resembles a giant block of ice. \:\(

Ed

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by LBuck:
Cecil,

What is the optimal growing temp for yellow perch? And what is the best growing range? i.e. minimum and maximum growing temp.
Optimum temp for growing yellow perch is supposed to be about 75 F. according to the first source link below, and the other source says optimum growth is 73 F. to 77 F.

http://www.ksuaquaculture.org/fish.yperch.htm

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/aquanic/ncrac/wpapers/yp32900.htm

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Edward P. Eitel:
Cecil,
I guess fish are similar to other livestock in their growth habits. If a calf or pig gets off to a slow start on feed for any reason, it stunts or "runts" as some call it.
The difference with mammals is they can be easily observed, while fish sometimes go un-noticed in their watery environment.

Still, in order to get a deer to attain its maximum antler potential it needs: (1) Some age, (2) Great nutrition, and (3) genetic potential. You have successfully achieved all 3 with your perch. I believe I'm suffering from perch envy!

I would like to post a picture of our latest perch pond but; it resembles a giant block of ice. \:\(

Ed
Goof points! One thing to consider is yellow perch have not really been domesticated even though they are being feed trained. Who knows what the ultimate size will be?

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I don't know who's better looking, the fish or its trainer. Dang...portly fish there, Cecil. You are definitely the perch man.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
C
C
HOLY smokes! What a monster!!! Congratulations. If you're wondering about the world record...

(Taken from Field and Stream)

The all-tackle world-record yellow perch, taken in 1865, weighed 4 pounds 3 ounces and is the oldest freshwater sport-fish record in the books.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A yellow perch with a standard weight of 4 lbs 3 oz would be 19" long. But I presume this world record perch was a gravid female. This same fish without eggs would have weighed 3.2 to 3.4 lbs which means by the "Fish Calculator" it was 17.0" to 17.75" long. I am very confident that Cecil or I will produce a 17" perch within the next few years. Stay tuned.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And the race is on! \:D

Cecil Baird Indiana State Record
Bill Cody World Record!

No wait...

Cecil Baird Indiana State Record
Cecil Baird World Record

Yeah that sounds better! ;\)

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Oh now it is a race. I like fish growing contests.

All I know for sure is that Cecil's 16.25"er is NOT going to be in the race for the 17" mark \:\( . Whereas Bill, left all this years 16+"ers in his pond! \:D , ;\) . What if Cecil's big record perch was the largest one of his first year's stocked fish?

I have watched big perch feed under the ice. Usually the biggest perch will dominate a feeding area and circles the feeding area tending to keep smaller less dominate perch at the periphery. I can easily see the bigger ones getting caught first.

Patience, Grasshopper!

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I hate to say it Bill but your THEORY does not hold perch water. Remember me saying say the first two weeks I fished I could not locate the big perch? I was catching the smallest perch first :p

Remember the saying, "A perch on the scale is worth two in the pond?" ;\)

Sure those aren't mini walleyes you're looking at under the ice? :p

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Can I play, too? ;\)

I've figured out a way to grow a perch that big in just one growing season. Without giving away too many secrets, just let me say it involves selective breeding, gene splicing, artificial feeding, uranium isotopes, trick photography and questionable weighing techniques.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Seriously how about a pond raised record status for Pond Boss members for different species? Could be a fun way to see who can grow the biggest fish in their ponds. Fish must be weighed on a certified scale, two witnesses of the catch, witness at certified scale etc. Measure on a board with a picture on the board. and a good close up pic of the fish.

Could be a separate category for catch and release which would only require a measurement and photo.

Categories could be:

Largemouth north of the Mason Dixon Line
Largemouth south of the Mason Dixon Line
Yellow Perch
Bluegill
Hybrid Bluegill
Redear (Shellcracker)
Green Sunfish
Channel Catfish
Blue Catfish
Bullhead
Smallmouth bass
Walleye
Black Crappie
White Crappie
Hybrid Striped Bass
Rainbow Trout
Brown Trout
Brook Trout

No prizes, certificates, or money, just a pic in the Pond Boss magazine?

What do you think Bob?

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I personally love the idea. But can we add rock bass, white bass, pumpkinseeds, freshwater drum and goldeye? Our goldeye were caught in the wild obviously but have readily taken to pellets. They are huge! Our rock bass also eat pellets and we have many 10-11" rock bass that I think will only get bigger.

Norm Kopecky
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Norm,

Sounds good to me.

If Bob Lusk is not kean on the idea we can keep track on an informal basis.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, what would you estimate was the lifetime calorie uptake of this perch, by percentage, of natural forage vs. pelleted feed?

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward