Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus), 769 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How effective is large rip rap limetone stone in keeping muskrats from digging into a bank? My guess is it depends on how much, but they still might find an opening? Anyone have rip rap and can indicate if they still have rat problems?

Has anyone been desperate enough to lay out a roll of fence material just above the water line down into the water the full width of the fence to keep them from digging? It doesn't seem like it would be difficult as my main pond is drained for maintenance.

One of my small reproduction ponds has a dike that is not really as wide as it should be (although it's fine if the rats don't dig into it) due to property line constaints. Other than removing all cattails that are a food source, I'm wondering if there is any more I can do to not allow the to dig into the banks.

I do trap them out every year but I'd like to prevent them from digging in the first place.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/24/09 02:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
One of my ponds has fencing material laid down on the lake side and extending into the water. The other pond has rip rap on the face. I've not had any muskrat problem with rats on either dam. My muskrats have all made dens further up the lake, generally at the mouth of coves.

Bing

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good to hear!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil:

Some of the houses that I trapped at had seawalls that went down 1' below the bottom of the lake and the 'rats still dug under it. I've never seen them dig any deeper than that tho. Water depth there was 18" to the lake bottom.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My dad has a seawall at his house in a salt marsh creek. The muskrats are constantly digging under it. When its low tide the wall is exposed, at high tide water is 3' up on it...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My dad has a seawall at his house in a salt marsh creek. The muskrats are constantly digging under it. When its low tide the wall is exposed, at high tide water is 3' up on it...

CJ:

Any idea how far down into the dirt the seawall is placed?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil,

When MWHF put in my dam they buried some chain link fence on the pond facing slope. Seems to have worked thus far.

Bryan

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Cecil,

When MWHF put in my dam they buried some chain link fence on the pond facing slope. Seems to have worked thus far.

Bryan

What does MWHF stand for? It's been driving me crazy!

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Me too

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I was scared to ask.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sorry, I was out for a couple days. Michigan Wildlife habitat Foundation.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: bryani289swmi
Sorry, I was out for a couple days. Michigan Wildlife habitat Foundation.

Thanks Bry. Would never have guessed!

J
J
i have a hole (have pics dont know how to download them) in my dam from beavers. Thinking about putting used chainlink down without post. How do i keep them flat and in place

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jimwaltman
i have a hole (have pics dont know how to download them) in my dam from beavers. Thinking about putting used chainlink down without post. How do i keep them flat and in place

Take #3 or #4 rebar. Heat or otherwise bend the end so it looks like an upside down J. Leave the long part 12"-18" or so long, the short part 3"-4". Use those as "staples" to hold the chain link in place like tent stakes except pound them all the way into the ground. If it was mine, I'd start at the top and bottom corners, and put a staple every 6'-8' along the edge.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Z
Z
One or more persons on a front porch or other viewing location close by (although the range of engagement can be increased... IMHO a person should be within 100yds) One Rifle w/some type of solid rest for steadying the Semi-Automatic or Bolt Action weapon chambered in .17HMR(IMHO) & your choice of magnification in a rifle scope mounted with a quick release cam action fastener onto a picatinny type rail for daytime engagements if any are currently un-threatened, and have any diurnal habits or boldly unabashed tendencies you may have noticed about their habits previously, before they're observed, then engaged by an operator posted at a site which you've pre-determined as being your projectile's barrel disembarking point and they wise up because of a miss, multiple critters out at the same time and only one get's engaged, or they just are aware and cautious from that point on cause that's how they roll in your body of water... now only coming out at night.
So then, at that point... I'll change the tactics I've attempted to use previously on them and immediately go about about swapping out my quick release mounted normal daytime glass lensed scope for my ATN THOR LT 3-6x Thermal Imaging Scope and get closer if I want, walk around the edge, change my shooting nest location, or do nothing at all other than sit and wait on darkness or another muskrat to come out before darkness arrives, because the thermal scopes work just fine in the daylight as well as at night. I have "#zero" 'skrats in my ponds and more enjoyed time with friends or relatives sitting and conversing or even fishing quietly than I would've ever had if I were intstead... completely go around the edge & w(rap) my riparian zone with an expensive 4-6"(baby surge) or 6-12"(surge stone) sized rip-rap rock, that I'd been forced to purchase then have to more than likely hand place it for the finished look moving those HEAVY 6-12" surge stone" type of rock by stacking them in their final resting area 1 at a time... muskrats are WAYYY lighter in weight and (IMHO) About 100% more fun & challenging to stack than "RIFF RAFF" ROCKS as I've heard it called by more that a few. Maybe now at least you know where the name rip rap came from. I hope I haven't offended anyone and lowering the total number of the heard decibel's from the rifle's report(pew-pew) upon engagement is an optional piece equipment which normally increases your overall success rate pretty substantially... but I've only heard such talk of..and have not ever witnessed it's positive or negative results firsthand for myself...

B
B
Yep, I either give mine an extra dose of vitamin BB, or they seem to die from lead poisoning.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images