Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
HBHB2, kmoudy, Fitz's Fish Pond, Tatesmith, Joesport5
16366 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16367 Members
36 Forums
37390 Topics
509664 Posts

Max Online: 3583 @ 01/15/20 02:21 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24219
ewest 20074
Cecil Baird1 20043
Dave Davidson1 14211
Bill Cody 13158
Who's Online
14 registered (DavidDunn, RStringer, Clay N' Pray, ewest, John Fitzgerald, Augie, saint_abyssal, Chris Steelman, Pat Williamson, mcbzx225, rjackson, Theo Gallus, Sunil, KingfisherBoiler), 247 Guests and 629 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#515688 - 01/13/20 02:11 PM New Column in Pond Boss
Bob Lusk Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker

Loc: Whitesboro, Texas
For you guys that don't know, we started a new column in the magazine, "Forum Talk" where I select a popular thread here in the forum and turn it into a story.

The first story, in the Jan-Feb issue is, "Ideas for Pond Catch Record Keeping".

I working on the March-April issue. Which threads do you guys think are worthy of a story in the magazine? Let me know soon...I'll write it today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll peruse the pages here and see what strikes me, but many of you know about threads I'll miss.

#515692 - 01/13/20 03:54 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
Bocomo Offline

Loc: Boone County, MO (pond)
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
For you guys that don't know, we started a new column in the magazine, "Forum Talk" where I select a popular thread here in the forum and turn it into a story.

The first story, in the Jan-Feb issue is, "Ideas for Pond Catch Record Keeping".

I working on the March-April issue. Which threads do you guys think are worthy of a story in the magazine? Let me know soon...I'll write it today or tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll peruse the pages here and see what strikes me, but many of you know about threads I'll miss.

Hi Bob, I highly recommend the posts from wbuffetjr on his efforts to aerate a remote subalpine lake to sustain a trout population:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=515516&page=1

Edited by Bocomo (01/13/20 04:01 PM)

#515693 - 01/13/20 04:07 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
Bob Lusk Offline
Lunker

Good idea...actually wrote a story about that, in the column, "Field Notes" in the Jan-Feb issue as well. Fascinating story. Had several great conversations with Chad and Brian about it. Good photos, too.

#515696 - 01/13/20 05:27 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
Bocomo Offline

Loc: Boone County, MO (pond)
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
Good idea...actually wrote a story about that, in the column, "Field Notes" in the Jan-Feb issue as well. Fascinating story. Had several great conversations with Chad and Brian about it. Good photos, too.

...Time to renew my subscription... whistle

#515699 - 01/13/20 08:55 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
RStringer Online   content

Loc: Parsons KS
Man that's hard to narrow it down for sure. There is one that iv reread a few times. 2009 project of the year (family farm). I believe most red blooded Americans would love this place.
The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716

#515715 - 01/14/20 09:31 AM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
Bob, there is a new thread here where WBJ ask on how to circulate his upper half of the ponds water. His project as u know is a winter situation. But here in Texas I have a problem with keeping some cooler water refuge with good DO numbers during the summer. I've tried reducing the hrs and also the time of day the system is run but still have a problem keeping cooler water temps for sanctuary at the ponds deeper depths during our summer months. For me I am thinking of running surface aeration during those hot summer days and doing something different with the bottom diffusers. I can see things with my fish during those times that show the fish are under stress because of the heated water temps at the ponds bottom.

After 4 yrs of running bottom air diffusers I am not convinced the good outweighs the bad when it comes to dealing with our ponds and our Tx summer heat.

Tracy

#515728 - 01/14/20 02:08 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
Bob Lusk Offline
Lunker

Tracy,
Thanks, I'll go through that thread and see if it will make a good story.

Will also look at that 2009 project thread.

#515743 - 01/15/20 06:08 AM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
wbuffetjr Offline

Loc: in the mountains
MNFish is back to experimenting with his ponds and should be posting some interesting things here soon.

Something I just recently witnessed was my ice doming up from aeration. I actually shot it and it blew up!! I couldn't believe it! I think the doming phenomenon could make a cool article as well. Apparently it's not totally uncommon with intermittent aeration and ice.

Cody Note: Mr.Buffet you should have taken a video of shooting the ice dome as it blew up. Great video show for that.

Edited by Bill Cody (01/15/20 11:23 AM)

#515775 - 01/16/20 11:23 AM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
MNFISH2 Offline

Loc: MINNESOTA
I would like to read article(s) about how the digital age of computers, social media, forums, and such have impacted the fisheries/pond science business activities. Both good and bad. How knowledge and pond management techniques used to be communicated, say 30 years ago, as compared to today. How methods have changed like DO measuring. I'm assuming equipment like a Pro ODO was not around 30 years ago. How was DO measured pond side 30 years ago? The evolution aeration equipment or fish food advancements. Maybe an interview question and answer type format of guys that have been in this business for many years.

Edited by MNFISH2 (01/16/20 11:49 AM)

#515784 - 01/16/20 05:50 PM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
anthropic Offline

Loc: East Texas, USA
I'd be interested in an article(s) about pond safety and state laws concerning liability. How do we best minimize the chances that someone will get hurt or die? What kind of insurance is recommended? How does the law treat someone who trespasses on our property & is injured?

#516022 - 01/23/20 09:33 AM Re: New Column in Pond Boss [Re: Bob Lusk]
RStringer Online   content

Loc: Parsons KS
How about all around recreation in the pond? I have had all sorts of fun in mine and others. From swimming, fishing, kayaking, tubing n skiing, ziplining, ice skates, rope swings, slides. That's just a list of the things I have did and would love to see other ideas of a good time. Theres alot more to ponds than fish. Could also use a map of the zones of all the different kinds of forage fish that is available to the public. I never even heard of scuds til I read about them on this forum.

P.S. Not trying to say that's all POND BOSS writes about is fish.
The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716

Today's Birthdays
RochelleRanch
Recent Posts
How often do bluegills spawn in West Virginia?
by ewest
46 minutes 53 seconds ago
Tagging Young Fish
by ewest
Today at 02:11 PM
New 1ac pond in SW Ohio, help with stocking plan
by KingfisherBoiler
Today at 12:56 PM
My front yard cow pond
by Augie
Today at 10:31 AM
When to stop feeding ?
by Flame
Today at 09:35 AM
How to catch My Florida lmb on live bait
by Flame
Today at 09:29 AM
How far south for Yellow Perch and Wallege?
by Augie
Today at 09:00 AM
Will the real MVP please stand up?
by RStringer
Today at 06:25 AM
Smallmouth Stocking Question
by RAH
Today at 06:11 AM
Identify/control
by Trent Aldridge
Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Getting photos on this forum is a PITA!
Retreat
I Subscribe Permanent Link
Need Plants Identified - Texas Pond - Lily Pad ...
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide