Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
HBHB2, kmoudy, Fitz's Fish Pond, Tatesmith, Joesport5
16366 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16367 Members
36 Forums
37390 Topics
509664 Posts

Max Online: 3583 @ 01/15/20 02:21 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24219
ewest 20074
Cecil Baird1 20043
Dave Davidson1 14211
Bill Cody 13158
Who's Online
13 registered (DavidDunn, jim kearns, RStringer, Clay N' Pray, ewest, John Fitzgerald, Augie, saint_abyssal, Chris Steelman, Pat Williamson, mcbzx225, rjackson, Theo Gallus), 240 Guests and 628 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#514555 - 12/02/19 10:07 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

Loc: South Central, Virginia
LOL!!! Thanks Dr. Perca. It sure helps to have the Dean of Students keep me from double secret probation because professor Hudson was about to fail me!
JK.
Thank you both for your help!
Heppy

#514566 - 12/03/19 09:58 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
Let us know your crayfish trapping results. Some more southern crayfish may still be "somewhat" active and invited into traps with some good tasty food items.

#514721 - 12/07/19 06:29 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

The small fish in the stream that I thought were bluntnose minnows are actually the eastern blacknose dace. There are creek chubs in the stream as well. 80-100 gpm is coming through the 10” outlet of the big pond from the 3 sources of water that feed it. I need to check the flow amount in the next drought.

TJ, I have been thinking about the HBCP vs BCP and considering stocking the HBCP. Fall 2020 the 50-75 SMB and 20-25 WE (ladder stocked each fall) will be going into the pond. When and what numbers should I stock of the HBCP and HSB according to your plan if I’m able to locate the HBCP?
I’m unable to get to the farm until Monday at the earliest to put out crayfish traps but will report results when I return.

Thanks,
Heppy

#514924 - 12/14/19 11:23 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

Bill Cody email sent with minnows and local crayfish that feed the main pond. I’m not sure how to post iPhone pics to here. Repost pics if you would like to educate others.
Thanks!
Heppy

Edited by Heppy (12/15/19 07:39 AM)

#515265 - 12/25/19 12:48 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

Quick question?
As you know I have already stocked 25 8+” and 400 4-6” feed trained YP. Recently, I learned of a public body of water where 16-18” YP that are not feed trained are caught regularly over the next month or two. I have the capability to transport any caught fish and am wondering if it would be a good idea to put these genetically larger fish that are NOT feed trained in my 2.7 acre pond assuming I can catch them? Thoughts?
Thanks for the help!
Heppy

#515267 - 12/25/19 04:09 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Please post pictures of 16"+ YP next to a ruler. I've only seen one or 2.

Lusk stocked large LMB and they actually lost weight in the pond. Don't know if YP will do the same.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#515268 - 12/25/19 04:44 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
4CornersPuddle Offline

Loc: southwest Colorado
Yes Heppy, if you do catch some perch that big, please post all kinds of fotos.
If I caught any that size, I'd be eating them, not stocking my pond with them. Ha! I'd consider pond stocking of some 14" or so. Remember, it's mostly great feeding opportunities throughout the entire lifetime of a fish that is mostly responsible for it reaching its maximum potential. Sure, genetics play a part, but those good genetics likely exist in many of the YP from that BOW.
An example is Cascade reservoir in Idaho. 2+ pound perch have been caught there. Some age classes in that lake have perfect feeding their entire lives. Other fish born in other years aren't as fortunate.
Regardless, good luck fishing for those jumbos.

#515273 - 12/25/19 10:45 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

Here is a picture of the VA state record set in 2010 but not from the same reservoir. This fish is 16.5 inches. The only reason I believe the possibility of 16-18” YP is because my son has seen the pictures caught by the professional fisherman who is a friend of his who has been fishing on the lake his entire life. Guess I will find out soon enough and report back with my findings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vdgif/4463219900

Thanks,
Heppy

#515762 - 01/15/20 09:42 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

I have no more information to pass along on the YP as of now but did learn that some of the crayfish in the small stream that feeds the pond are Cambarus acuminatus common name Acuminate Crayfish via Bill Cody. These are a burrowing species but there’s not much that I can do about that. Hopefully the YP and SMB can enjoy them. I will update this thread as the additional crayfish and minnows are identified.
Heppy

Edited by Bill Cody (01/16/20 09:04 PM)
Edit Reason: word edit

#516144 - 01/27/20 02:18 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

I have a question that I have been unable to find the answer after a substantial time. Here goes. I have 140’ of 10” construction drain through the bottom of my dam. The 10” pipe has been reduced to an 8” UD slide gate valve. The problem I’m trying to solve is the size of the cage/guard that will go at the bottom of the pond around the UD slide gate valve that is constructed of cutting board like material and stainless steel springs. I understand when RAH stated that surface is your friend. Does anyone have suggestions on what size of cage and shape the openings should be to allow the passage of leaves and sediment to pass through the grate openings in order for the construction drain at the bottom of the pond to not clog with leafy debris? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Heppy

#516145 - 01/27/20 06:03 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
Is this a pipe only used to drain the pond or is it the primary spillway?

#516151 - 01/27/20 10:52 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

RAH,
This is the primary spillway with a riser and trash rack that sets the water level at the surface in the pond. It has the drain valve in the bottom of the pond. This is a conventional pond piping system. Here is a picture http://www.ponddampiping.com/conventional.html
Thanks,
Heppy

#516153 - 01/27/20 11:27 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
My bottom drain tube has an elbow and extension going upward with lots of 1" holes drilled in it and a small slotted cap on the end. I have never used the drain so I cannot report on its performance. I will say that I worry about the valve failing some day. I actually have a bottom drain on my most recently built pond as well, but I needed some way to drain water while I was building it.

#516163 - 01/27/20 04:23 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

RAH,
My pond has the UD slide gate valve. It is made of plastic about the thickness of a cutting board functioning as the open/close feature. Other than that there are 6 or 8 stainless bolts/springs/nuts (no need to worry about rusting shut) to set the amount of pressure required to open/close the valve. My drain is 3-4 feet off the bottom of the pond with about a 10x10 sump area for collecting debris. I’m wanting to cage the area around the drain to allow leaves and such to pass through but not fish. Do you believe the 1” holes will suffice?
Thanks,
Heppy

#516347 - 02/02/20 02:11 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

I Think That I Finally Figured It Out!!!
This should be easy to replicate for anyone with a UD slide gate bottom drain in their pond. Now for the specifics. As previously mentioned I have a 10” conventional pond piping system with a bottom drain inside the pond. The 10” pipe drain is necked down to an 8” UD slide gate valve with a 10’ long 1 1/4” pvc handle to allow opening/closing of the drain. The plan for my trash rack is as follows.
Pond Drain Trash Guard
55 gallon PVC drum
Drill many 3/4”- 1” holes all around the drum.
Remove one 2” bung and leave the other intact. I may have to leave both intact and cut a new hole in the top of the drum if the location of the bung hole will not permit valve housing to fit. Either way not an issue.
Use a jigsaw cut from the bung or new hole (on top) 3/4 way down the side of the drum. Cut an 8.75” hole from the side of the drum centered with the cut you just made from the 2” hole. The final product will look like Swiss cheese with one 2” hole on the top of the barrel cut all the way to an 8.75” hole.
Slip the drum around the valve sideways and turn straight with the bung hole going around the 1 1/4” pipe and the 8.75” hole that you cut going around the 8” pvc pipe holding the valve. 2 or 3 zip ties may have to be used on the cut from the bung hole to the top of the 8.75” hole to secure the drum as a trash guard. Be sure to drill small holes on each side of the cut you made before attaching the trash guard if the zip ties are needed.

This should allow me to open the drain a couple times a year to get rid of sediment and decomposing organic debris that enters the pond without fear of having fish larger than 1” being washed out. I have given lots of thought to this and would appreciate all helpful feedback good or bad. Hopefully this can extend the life of a pond where buildup becomes a nonissue.

Thanks!
Heppy

Edit: A picture of the U.D. Slide Gate is here.
http://www.ponddampiping.com/accessories.html
Edit: 8” sch 40 pvc has an od of 8.625” therefore the cut has to be larger than 8”. I decided on 8.75” for a little slop going around the outside of the 8” pipe

Edited by Heppy (02/03/20 09:14 AM)

#516370 - 02/02/20 11:55 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Good idea. The holes will let 1" tall or smaller fish through, but if there isn't much O2 at the bottom of the pond there won't be many fish there either.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#516374 - 02/03/20 12:27 AM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

Thanks esshup!
This is a flow through pond and I’m uncertain of the amount of O2 at the bottom of the pond but you give me further confidence that this will work!
Thanks!
Heppy

#516397 - 02/03/20 08:41 PM Re: Thoughts on a new 3 acre pond stocking [Re: Heppy]
Heppy Offline

I finished the PVC 55 gallon trash rack today. Ended up with 7/8” holes instead of 1” simply because it was so quick using the step drill bit to push all the way through and pull out. The drum had to be cut with the jigsaw all the way across the top, completely down one side and all the way across the bottom in order to be able to spread the trash guard around the valve and 1 1/4” open/close vertical pipe. It will be secured with (about 10-12) heavy duty zip ties after installation once the water warms. I didn’t use the bung holes on top of the barrel because it didn’t look wide enough for the valve that close to the side of the barrel. Instead, I used the jigsaw to cut the 2” hole closer towards the center of the drum and the lower 8 3/4” hole a couple of inches off the bottom on one side.
Heppy

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Today's Birthdays
RochelleRanch
Recent Posts
Tagging Young Fish
by DavidDunn
7 minutes 31 seconds ago
How often do bluegills spawn in West Virginia?
by ewest
54 minutes 42 seconds ago
New 1ac pond in SW Ohio, help with stocking plan
by KingfisherBoiler
Today at 12:56 PM
My front yard cow pond
by Augie
Today at 10:31 AM
When to stop feeding ?
by Flame
Today at 09:35 AM
How to catch My Florida lmb on live bait
by Flame
Today at 09:29 AM
How far south for Yellow Perch and Wallege?
by Augie
Today at 09:00 AM
Will the real MVP please stand up?
by RStringer
Today at 06:25 AM
Smallmouth Stocking Question
by RAH
Today at 06:11 AM
Identify/control
by Trent Aldridge
Yesterday at 09:22 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Getting photos on this forum is a PITA!
Retreat
I Subscribe Permanent Link
Need Plants Identified - Texas Pond - Lily Pad ...
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond

© 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide