Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#486280 02/18/18 06:32 PM
N
OP Offline
N
What size of pen would I need to raise 300 wipers From (2.5 t0 3 inches) to 5 to 7 inches for release? The pen would be a floating pen 4 foot deep and 4 foot wide with round corners, need to know how long it should be? Or would a larger all round pen be better? The 4 foot measurements are do to the fencing material coming in 4 foot widths. How much feed would it take? How long would it take? No air would be provided. If anyone has tried doing this and found it to be more cost effective to just buy larger fish please let me know? What if I would raise 500 wipers? If this works I would try bluegill next.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
http://www.pondboss.com/news/videos/why-subscribe-to-pond-boss
C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
I typically take them through food size 1.75 to 2 lbs and start from 8" to 10" in spring having the ready for harvest by following November. When starting from smaller 1" fish in spring they can get to be just shy of the 8" to 10" size needed for following spring. Starting with larger and not getting as big, I think 60 to 90 days is all the time needed if growing during the summer. Should be on lower end of that range. A 4' x 4' cage will be OK I think if water quality is kept good. I have done on round and rectangular cages but not with purpose of comparison. Info should be out their in a masters thesis somewhere. Would look into to ways of getting water to move through the cage and economy of scale will hurt you on that. Fish would be increasing in weight by 4 to more than 8-fold so for every lb of gain assume about 1.25 lbs of gain. I would use pellets that are formulated for salmon to promote faster growth.

If no air double size of cage at least and keep out where water flow is not obstructed by shallows.

check this video out, they are raising HSB "whipers" in cages. Some good info. hope it helps! click on the link or copy and paste it.

https://youtu.be/iXqK7CeypJk

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
the comercial guys who raise them for food, without oxygen added use 5 fish per cubic foot in there pens so if you have a 4x4X4 pen thats 64 cubic feet, so that comes out to 320 fish per a pen!

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks lots of good info on that sight.

61 acre water shed lake. bass, channel cat, black crappie, wiper, walleye, redear sunfish, blue catfish and bluegill. To many bullhead and common carp
no problem glad I could help

S
S
Interesting video.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
N
OP Offline
N
Up date. I bought larger wipers 4 to 6 inches and just turned them out. I caught a few in the fall and they almost doubled in size.

Would like to buy some small fry from KEO Farms. What size netting would one need to get them to 6 inches? 1/4 inch mesh would plug up with algae awful fast. Would 1/2 or 3/4 be to large? Would I need two cages one with small mesh size and one with the larger size (3/4).How much feed would it take? 1000 fish grown to 6 OZ would be 375 lbs. gain. So would that take 10 lbs. of feed per pound of gain or some other factor when using a 40% protein feed?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Mesh size depends on the smallest size of the juveniles or YOY that you buy. Technically fish fry are considered fry only until the fish is fully scaled often at about 1/2". Then it becomes a juvenile or fingerling. Know what the expected size / length will be when you get them then buy the largest mesh size that will contain all individuals. You don't need to have a bunch or your stockers immediately swimming into the fish community. It strongly depends on the size of your stockers as to how many per cubic foot that you stock. IMO I would not buy HSB for caging any smaller than 3"-4". Remember you will need to reduce the density per cubic foot as the HSB grow to the next larger size class. Too high of stocking density can easily result in heavy losses. Cage raising fish is not as easy as it sounds.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I chronicled my entire experience from Keo. I highly recommend working with them.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514956&page=1

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Since you didn't cage the first batch of Wipers, I suggest doing your big BG cage batch next. It should be a cheaper way to learn if you make any big mistakes.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
G
When talking about mesh size I will add an experience I had, was keeping some 4' to 6" fish in a cage to be used for catfish bait so obviously didn't need a real fine mesh, we had several snakes slide in thru the mesh and gorge themselves with fish, they obviously couldn't get back out with fish inside them but the did a number on our bait fish.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: gehajake
When talking about mesh size I will add an experience I had, was keeping some 4' to 6" fish in a cage to be used for catfish bait so obviously didn't need a real fine mesh, we had several snakes slide in thru the mesh and gorge themselves with fish, they obviously couldn't get back out with fish inside them but the did a number on our bait fish.

Wipers are plenty cheap. I think I had mine purchased AND shipped for around 27 cents per fish.

S
S
Originally Posted By: gehajake

I have had them do the same thing in minnow traps.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
N
OP Offline
N
Any idea on how much feed it would take? Your mesh looked to be 1/2 inch NEDOC.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I think the mesh in my first cage was 1/8”. But 1/4” would suffice I believe. I think I could’ve raised 1200 on a 10lb order of optimal #2, 10lbs of #4, 40 lbs Bluegill Junior and 40 lbs Regular Bluegill.

You can raise a lot more fish in a flow thru cage than you would think.

Last edited by NEDOC; 01/14/20 10:06 PM.

N
OP Offline
N
With the price of making a cage ($100.)and the feed ($300.) it looks like I could raise them for under 75 cents each.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
nehunter, you may wanna look into these net pens. I'm not sure if they'd work or not, but at the price it may be worth a try....

https://duluthfishnets.com/store/assorted-nets/small-mesh-net-pens/

BTW, I hope you have the ability to feed them a minimum of twice per day the first couple of weeks. This year I only fed them once per day and I THINK that may have really hurt my survivial and feed training. BTW, I doubt you spend that much on feed. If that doesn't work for you I know a high schooler down here raising them as an FFA project. They'll cost you 2-3$ per 5-6" fish, but save you the trouble.

NEDOC #515747 01/15/20 10:06 AM
A
A
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
nehunter, you may wanna look into these net pens. I'm not sure if they'd work or not, but at the price it may be worth a try....

BTW, I hope you have the ability to feed them a minimum of twice per day the first couple of weeks. This year I only fed them once per day and I THINK that may have really hurt my survivial and feed training. BTW, I doubt you spend that much on feed. If that doesn't work for you I know a high schooler down here raising them as an FFA project. They'll cost you 2-3$ per 5-6" fish, but save you the trouble.

Those nets don't last very long in sunlight/pond environs. I'd recommend net dip if you do use them.

Originally Posted By: Acoursey
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

Those nets don't last very long in sunlight/pond environs. I'd recommend net dip if you do use them.

You beat me to it. I agree 100%, and have several nontreated "working" cages rotting as we speak. Their lifespan is determined by the length of time they're wet and in the sun, and getting a dipped net sure helps. I get mine with the green dip, not the black. The black dip is too stiff and sticky for my pampered fish.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 01/15/20 04:26 PM. Reason: ADD

AL

N
OP Offline
N
Would you put a solid cover over the pen so the fish would have shade and may stop some of the growth on the side walls. The price is right.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: nehunter
Would you put a solid cover over the pen so the fish would have shade and may stop some of the growth on the side walls. The price is right.

They have lids for them on those links. I agree with the guys above about dipping the netting.

S
S
I have 4 net pens from them.. 2 I like, 2 I don't.
I bought net pen lids for all and 2 have zippers, 2 don't. The zipper is nice for quick add-remove, Plan on strapping noodles to the center of lid if using one.
If equipped with lids and a good frame it runs around 300$ for a 4x4x6.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images