Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,059
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (bstone261, FishinRod, jpsdad, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus), 681 guests, and 162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
C
But how does he stock only large enough HSB to avoid being eaten by his larger YP and SMB?

AT what size or age do HSB swim quickly enough or school up in numbers safely to avoid SMB predators?

N
NEDOC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

I know what I’d do.... I’d stock HSB. Get them to an age where they’ll feed train on pellets. And then train them to eat larger pellets when thrown in. Once they’re trained to do that I’d catch HBG, cut them in half and throw them to your HSB. I’m crazy that way.

Wow! I never would have thought this. Excellent idea! Thank you! I’m an absentee pond owner, so daily stuff is not an option, but I’ll do what I can do.
Thanks again,
Jeff

HSB typically hand feed very easily in low light in mornings and nights. So if you are there often enough that they would begin to hit larger pellets like Aquamax Largemouth or Optimal Bass hand throw then you'll be set. The next step would be to fish for HBG all day, throw them on ice, then cut them up in the evening and feed to your HSB. A lot of work, but would serve a dual purpose in reducing HBG and growing HSB. And an absolute blast! You could also purchase fillets of tilapia or trout guts that are cheap and cut them into chunks to get them used to feeding on flesh. Then trasition to HBG, or use some of each. I feed a zillion fish on $80 of tilapia fillets per year (muskie and such).

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
N
NEDOC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
But how does he stock only large enough HSB to avoid being eaten by his larger YP and SMB?

AT what size or age do HSB swim quickly enough or school up in numbers safely to avoid SMB predators?

I'd buy some in the fall over 6", or grow some out if possible.

Thanks. I’ll see what HSB May still be available. I’ll certainly try to get them on feed. I can use a trap and catch quite a few HBG in no time. I’ll hardly have to cut them up. Maybe quarters.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
N
NEDOC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
Thanks. I’ll see what HSB May still be available. I’ll certainly try to get them on feed. I can use a trap and catch quite a few HBG in no time. I’ll hardly have to cut them up. Maybe quarters.

If you do this, chronicle the experience. It would be a great learning experience for us all.

S
S
Wow!

What great advice from all of you and special shout out to jpsdad for the effort he put into it. Been busy traveling and getting settled into our winter haunt and forgot about this thread. Not been on in a few days.

Sure is getting me excided to get something done next spring/summer. The 400 sounds perfect. And stringer if it works out, no problem getting you a few.

The harvest sounds right down my alley. I much prefer BG fishing over LMB because of the higher catch rate. So harvesting a lot of smaller/medium fish is what I like to do. Thanks everyone and thanks Nedoc for letting me steal your thread for a few questions.

Attached Images
PC090085.JPG PC090018.JPG

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: snrub
Wow!

What great advice from all of you. Thanks everyone and thanks Nedoc for letting me steal your thread for a few questions.

I feel exactly the same way. Thanks all, and Nedoc thanks for letting me pose a question or two.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
How in the dickens did you drop that much weight?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
Originally Posted By: Heppy
Does anyone know the difference between HSB (female white bass x male striped bass) and HSB (male white bass x female striped bass)? I’m guessing maximum size but have no factual information. The reason that I ask is either cross is available from different hatcheries with the HSB (male white bass x female striped bass) being more expensive.
Thanks,
Heppy

Once upon a time through an internet search I ran across an article about the different HSB crosses. Might have been Pond Boss, might have been a bass fishing magazine, don't remember. But it did a really good job of explaining the difference as well as some of the things mentioned here in this thread.

John

S
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
How in the dickens did you drop that much weight?

Ketogenic low carb/high good old saturated fat diet. Quit eating ten times a day to let insulin levels drop low. Got off 100 units of insulin a day within the first two weeks of the diet. Have not injected a drop of insulin since last mid-February.

You can't burn body fat as long as insulin levels are high. The way to keep it low is quit spiking it high with fast carbs/sugar. It really is that simple. Almost everything we have been told and taught about diet the last 50 years? Mostly wrong. Look up Dr Eric Westman or Dr Jason Fung or Dr Ken Berry on Youtube. Profesor Tim Noakes if you are an athelete.

Watch any of the "Low Carb Down Under" videos on Youtube you can find with a Youtube search.

I can don my full set of diving gear, walk around all day with it, and still be carrying no more weight than when buck naked year ago. I can grab two bags of fish food to take out on my dock feeder and be only 5# heavier than I would have been holding nothing before the weight loss. Off a hand full of prescripotion medicines. Take zero prescription medicine now and last check up blood markers (including the much maligned cholesterol) all much improved. I got my life back. All with a diet change.

Last edited by snrub; 12/12/19 08:29 AM.

John

A
A
John, your story is terrific. As a fellow diabetic, I needed to hear this!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Well done

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
H
Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: Heppy
Does anyone know the difference between HSB (female white bass x male striped bass) and HSB (male white bass x female striped bass)? I’m guessing maximum size but have no factual information. The reason that I ask is either cross is available from different hatcheries with the HSB (male white bass x female striped bass) being more expensive.
Thanks,
Heppy

Once upon a time through an internet search I ran across an article about the different HSB crosses. Might have been Pond Boss, might have been a bass fishing magazine, don't remember. But it did a really good job of explaining the difference as well as some of the things mentioned here in this thread.

Thanks snrub!
Your comment about seeing it somewhere before led me to to a google search. I found this “ Produced in hatcheries, the most common hybridization is the female striped bass Morone saxatilis and the male white bass M. chrysops. This is due to the high number of eggs produced by the female striped bass. This hybrid cross, palmetto bass, typically produces a faster-growing offspring which attains larger size than the sunshine bass.“ on Wikipedia. I will look more into it.
Thanks!
Heppy

R
R
And stringer if it works out, no problem getting you a few.

Sweet I hope it works out 4 you. You say your a diver. We are headed to the Bahamas just after the 1st of the year. Any place you can recommend there? Congrats on the weight loss. It's hard to stick with something after you have already created your eating habits.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
S
S
All the diving we have done in the Bahamas (and that has been considerable over the years) has been done off of Blackbeards, Cat Palau and Juliet livaboards. You can do a google search to find them. But they are a week long trip and I suspect you already have land based itenerary.

We have not done any shore based diving excursions.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

I know what I’d do.... I’d stock HSB. Get them to an age where they’ll feed train on pellets. And then train them to eat larger pellets when thrown in. Once they’re trained to do that I’d catch HBG, cut them in half and throw them to your HSB. I’m crazy that way.

Wow! I never would have thought this. Excellent idea! Thank you! I’m an absentee pond owner, so daily stuff is not an option, but I’ll do what I can do.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff, they make automated solar powered fish feeders....................

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: esshup
[quote=NEDOC]

Thanks again,
Jeff

Jeff, they make automated solar powered fish feeders....................

I’ve got a TX Hunter, but had some weird algae last summer, so I shut it down. I’ll start it back up in the spring. It’s the catching, and cutting up of HBG that I’ll have to get around. Obviously feeding the cut up HBG is essential in getting the HSB to target HBG. I’ll do that when I can, as often as I’m up there. Actually when I think about all the HBG we’ve tossed up into the woods, I’m going to start using those for food. I left my fish trap out overnight last summer, and the turtles found it. Paid the price for being lazy.

Otter attack in 2023
N
NEDOC Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
N
I'm not sure my method will alter your HBG numbers enough to make a noticeable difference, but I can promise you it'll be a blast!! And I'm guessing the HSB will explode in size.

Thank you. Trying to source HSB and YP now. I may try for walleye if I can’t find HSB.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
WE are even harder to find.......... Fall stocking only is my experience.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
I'm lucky to have Todd Overton around for fish stocking when it comes to most all of my fish needs. He has always had hsb when I wanted them in both spring and fall. He also had different sizes like the 4" I purchased along with the 10" and some 16" ones. you might give him a call. Maybe he can overnight some of the smaller sized fish. And/or I would try sending Bob Lusk an email where you might pick up some hsb in your area. Or maybe someone like Brian(highflyer) or Al(fireishot) will have the get together this spring where you could pick some up down here in Texas and take them home with you. One or both are discussing who will have the party (from another post as to who is carrying who's water bottle) smile I was just now thinking I might be able to bring some up if there was a good quail hunt available out of the trip. Are those setters finding any birds? smile Hay! a guy can ask can't he lol

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
Online Content
J
Just a quick question. Given that HSB do attempt migratory runs for spawning ... what are the chances that they might leave the pond in which they were stocked during high water events? Would there be a tendency to move downstream as the water subsides?

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

A
A
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I'm lucky to have Todd Overton around for fish stocking when it comes to most all of my fish needs. He has always had hsb when I wanted them in both spring and fall. He also had different sizes like the 4" I purchased along with the 10" and some 16" ones. you might give him a call. Maybe he can overnight some of the smaller sized fish. And/or I would try sending Bob Lusk an email where you might pick up some hsb in your area. Or maybe someone like Brian(highflyer) or Al(fireishot) will have the get together this spring where you could pick some up down here in Texas and take them home with you. One or both are discussing who will have the party (from another post as to who is carrying who's water bottle) smile I was just now thinking I might be able to bring some up if there was a good quail hunt available out of the trip. Are those setters finding any birds? smile Hay! a guy can ask can't he lol

Talked HSB with Walter Overton, he said they have 6-8 inchers now. I'm interested in a little ladder stocking and hope to get threadfin shad this year to help feed them. My guess is that I have maybe 40 - 50 of the original 70 still swimming, but maybe that's optimistic.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Latter stocking has worked great at my place. But today nothing less than 14" is going in the pond. I would think snacks for anything smaller. And Overtons has always had the size I needed or wait awhile and then he has them.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
JPS, yep, in a high water event you can expect to lose some of all types of fish. I have a small water hole below my dam. It has BG and GSF

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:04 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails