Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,924
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (Theeck, Homestead 101, Augie, phinfan, Jward87, Joe7328, shores41, Fishingadventure), 858 guests, and 540 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Joe seems to be having great luck with his SoilFloc down here TJ. Not sure if you have talked to him yet but I ran into him the other day and discussed it a bit. He is going about it quite a bit differently. He is just adding it along the edge as he raises the water. He stopped adding water when he got it to 9' deep. After 2 weeks he only lost about an inch of water, which was most likely evaporation. I'm not sure how much he was losing before, but it was astronomical amounts. His quote 'I wish I'd have known about this before refilling this pond several times'.

We decided to address his issue differently, drain to lowest point until seep stopped, then treat and rise water levels and repeat. I haven't heard an update in a while, I am really happy it's working. Like all of us he's been pumping so much money and frustration into his leaking pond for so long he was almost ready to fill it in. I'm glad to hear things are improving, great to be a part of the solution!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
After warm weather the last 2 days the pond ice is receding. I can see about 2 feet of my shore line now. I can see the water level and can see that over winter I probably did lose closer to a foot of water over the past 4-5 months. That much easily could be a very slow leak plus some evaporation. Very happy with how my first application went since I did it in mid September and had immediate results the first winter.

Even if I have a slow seep somewhere, that is fine with me since now in the spring I have a little room for the topping off effect of heavy spring rains.

TJ, how warm is 'warm enough' in the water to do my spring reapplication? I don't want to wait till May but also don't want to apply to frigid water when it doesn't work well either... Probably have just about 1 unit left to reapply to the whole pond.

Jeff, I was originally told by Aquaben the minimum water temp was 40, and they preferred warmer water as it helped accelerate the cross link expansion. They've also apparently instructed otherwise to some folks. All I can tell you is what has worked for me and others, so far all treatments were in water temps 40+. I think provided you're above that you're going to be fine. If you feel more comfortable waiting until you hit the 50-60 range, go for it.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

C
C
Originally Posted By: John F
The consultant at Aquaben, Sandra, told me that Soilfloc can be used effectively at any water temperature as long as there is no ice near the application site.

TJ, any advice on whether there is a practical reason to do the application at a certain temperature vs another?

J
J
I did my applications when the water temp was between 40 and 50. I feel if I waited until later, the FA would interfere and gum up the works, so to speak. My first application was at 40 degrees, second about 43 degrees, and the last and by far the largest application was at 50 degrees. The first application of maybe five pounds stopped the leak I had through a filled in drainage ditch in the dam in 40 degree water.

I think if I tried to apply it in summer, the FA would catch most of the Soilfloc and keep it from being very effective. The additional step of treating for FA would have to come first. BTW, the lowest temperature we had all winter was 11 degrees F and it was very brief. Only a skim of ice ever appeared on the pond all winter, and the coverage was never complete.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: John F
The consultant at Aquaben, Sandra, told me that Soilfloc can be used effectively at any water temperature as long as there is no ice near the application site.

TJ, any advice on whether there is a practical reason to do the application at a certain temperature vs another?

Jeff good question, and at this point I think it's fair to say treatment can be made at any temps above 40, and a distinct advantage applying in cooler water is that one is likely getting ahead of vegetation establishment, which can impact the efficacy of the treatment by preventing access to the pond bottom. If vegetation serves as a possible issue, targeting treatment when vegetation is either still dormant in Spring or dying in Fall would be my recommendation. In new or turbid ponds which lack established vegetation I feel timing of application is not a significant concern, but finding conducive application periods of low wind is the primary concern.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Canyon creek, no time so far to do it. In addition, we're going to enlist the help of some strong back/weak minds teenagers.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/08/16 06:29 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
C
Sounds good! If you have some reliable people operating ropes tied to boats or running a trolling motor using a water sock or dragging anchor or something to slow you down and give you control it should work well. At least have someone video it to share the fun with us smile

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Joshua Flowers will be managing the job. And, the camera will be rolling.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
I'd like to see some video. I haven't seen or heard of any. I still have not opened up the packaging. So still in planning stages.
My plan is to let this next few days of storms pass through. Hope to get started next week. (If the weather cooperates.)

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
J
J
I am glad I got my Soilfloc done 5 days ago. The rain today has added 4 inches of new water in addition to the 3.5 or so inches I pumped in late last week. Still 5.5 inches of space left before it spills over the E spillway. Maybe I will have some definitive results on the Soilfloc in a couple of weeks, depending on rainfall.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Backtrolling provides good boat control, still, using ropes and two helpers on bow and stern is best way to apply.

Regarding application - here's my application method: Throw AT water 2 OZ product A, then 2 OZ product B, covers 11 sq ft area. You can also toss few OZ of bentonite on top of A/B to help it sink. Move linearly to next 3.5x3.5 area and treat, repeat. Just like painting...cover entire area thoroughly. Any questions let me know can cover a lot more ground over the phone.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ:

Have you done any new constructions where the product was spread out over the ground, then the pond filled with water?

Or does it need to be incorporated into the ground like Bentonite, then compacted, then filled with water?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Have not worked any projects on dry application yet. It's not designed for dry application - BUT, they indicated folks have used it in conjunction with bentonite and also just the polymer with good results. Till into top 4" clay, then compact with 18-24" clay in 6" lifts. As soon as one of these projects is attempted I will include the forum on the process and results.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
The way that stuff worked on my pond, I wouldn't be surprised if it would stop my bathtub from leaking after pulling the plug. smile

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Have not worked any projects on dry application yet. It's not designed for dry application - BUT, they indicated folks have used it in conjunction with bentonite and also just the polymer with good results. Till into top 4" clay, then compact with 18-24" clay in 6" lifts. As soon as one of these projects is attempted I will include the forum on the process and results.

Rats. No clay locally, all sand. If I had good clay to compact in 6" lifts I wouldn't need it.......

I was going to dig a few 1/10 & 1/20 acre ponds in the sandy soil. No clay on site until 22' down..... I wasn't going to make them that deep.......

Maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Scott maybe use backhoe and dig a mini pit 5x5x5 and we could treat it and see what happens. Way cheaper to try with 1 unit before proceeding. I would incorporate bentonite with the polymer if you can get it at a decent cost. If it doesn't work, you'll need another well maybe or liner. They claim it will, you know my position already - believe it when I see it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No THATS an idea. No need for a mini backhoe - tractor and FEL will do that easily.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
what about using a bucket filled with play sand, add a little soilfloc. drill a few holes in the bottom and see what happens?? just a thought. i still have 3 units of soilfloc that i just havent had time to apply. pond is full right now, our ground is so saturated from all the rain in the last few months. i am going to apply it soon. i can save a cup or two if anyone comes up with an experiment they would like me to try similiar to the bucket idea.

Scott Hanners
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Scott I think that's a good test idea.

C
C
esshup,
If you had a small test pond, say 10x10 or 20x20, why not put a foot of water in the bottom so at least the powder can land in water or 'very wet sand' and float down to simulate what a 'on the water' application would be like. Then apply part B, then slowly add more water, as water level slowly comes up, reapply?

Does it have to be applied to dry sand and tilled under? You have the option to at least wet the sand or have temporary standing water and treat that right?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
esshup,
If you had a small test pond, say 10x10 or 20x20, why not put a foot of water in the bottom so at least the powder can land in water or 'very wet sand' and float down to simulate what a 'on the water' application would be like. Then apply part B, then slowly add more water, as water level slowly comes up, reapply?

Does it have to be applied to dry sand and tilled under? You have the option to at least wet the sand or have temporary standing water and treat that right?

Right now I have the main pond which is 18" below full pool. I was going to dig some small ponds here this year, but they aren't constructed yet. I don't have any small new ponds in sandy soil scheduled yet this year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We are tentatively scheduling to do my leaky dam this Saturday morning. It all depends on wind.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
JohnF, any results to report yet?

J
J
Dave,
I am still watching it carefully. The damp spots behind the dam disappeared right away, and when we got the big rain three weeks ago, which filled within 4" of grassy spillway, no leaks reappeared. It still goes down some, but much slower than a couple of months ago. The clay in the new part of the dam was too dry when put in last summer, so I an still getting some settling there. A backhoe driven over that part last month made deep ruts that had to be filled in, so I am giving it more time before contemplating further action. It seems that it is easier to hold at a higher level than it was prior to the Soilfloc. I only used a half unit (55 pounds) total, plus 150 pounds of sodium Bentonite to help Soilfloc sink and prevent its migration from wind.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks, I need to find some bentonite.

Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/23/24 03:33 PM
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!