Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle, Fishingadventure), 689 guests, and 211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#514223 11/22/19 09:31 AM
F
Funky Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have been looking through the resource guide and have looked on google for somewhere in or near Michigan to acquire some pumpkinseed sunfish. So far I find nothing. Is there anyone out there that knows of a fish farm in Michigan or close maybe in Ohio that carries them? Thanks for any help on this!

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You are learning that some of the fish promoted as beneficial here on the form are very hard to find such as pumpkinseed sunfish, lake chubsuckers, bluntnose minnows, spotfin shiners, etc.. When some of these uncommon fish are raised it is by the rare fish farm far away or the fish are quite expensive and for the aquarium market. There are still opportunities for niche fish farm market but are they profitable? I learned many years ago the best way to get a start of some of these rare fish is to go out and collect them yourself. However this is not all that easy for most pond owners.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
Funky, I'm with you on wishing some of these very desirable species were available. I think if a bunch of us pond owners in MI had a need we might be able to work with the team at Stony Creek and they may be able to get some.

To do this they would likely have to collect some wild strain and see if they could get spawning in one of their hatchery ponds and then sell the young at the end of the season before ice in.

I don't have an easy way to catch these locally. I know lakes starting about an hour north of me that have them natively. I would say that north of a line from Grant/Newaygo should give a good chance of having PS natively.

I imagine i can go fishing up north, bring along a portable DC aeration system and try to gather some that way. If I could get a breeding adult population in my pond come spring and can seine or trap them come next summer or fall I will post their availability.

I hope others would do the same.

Last edited by canyoncreek; 11/22/19 01:49 PM.
I got my PS from Keystone fish farm in Richmond, Il. Unfortunately, they only sell to WI and IL residents. I think they buy their PS as opposed to raising their own. Maybe a call to them might help you identify a Northern supplier.

Good luck! PS are beautiful fish.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Z
Z
Jonah's fish or Jonah's Aquarium sells them. I have access to them somewhat on my own and can ship them live to you, but I don't know about thousands. I am in the same predicament about wanting some of each of the 3 Esox Genus of Pickerel species Esox niger (Chain), Esox vermiculatus and Esox vermiculatus americanus (Redfin and Grass Pickerel) for a niche type of species only breeding pond with tons of minnow and shiners as a forage base for a readily available supply for the predatory type aquarium fish keeping trade.
One single 4-5" Chain pickerel sold for almost $200 dollars (& after shipping was added in the total, it was well over that price!!!)earlier this year after a couple of folks got into a small bidding war on who really wanted it the most.
I'm going to try to make a few Blue Catfish, Flathead Catfish, Bowfin, and some of the other predatory type oddball hard to find fingerlings available this way also on my 20 acre North Georgia Farm where I live also.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I checked Jonah's Aquarium a few weeks ago and again today. He does not currently list pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus). There may be more trouble in growing pumpkinseeds then their value in the retail market. It would definitely be a specialty fish for a limited number of customers.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/10/20 10:55 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
I know it would be a little bit of a drive and ma not be legal in your jurisdiction but...

https://smithcreekfishfarm.com/coll.../products/live-pumpkinseed-fish-for-sale

Great people. I have purchased from them a couple of times before.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!