Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc, Mike28
18,440 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,780
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
8 members (BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24, Sunil, Fishingadventure, azteca), 738 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Limited on space? Weak argument. If the article is in demand why not give him the space of 1 1/2 or two articles? Why does a good article have to be just 1.5 pages? Article could be mostly all pictures with captions.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/21/19 04:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Is it possible to have 2 versions, with the hard copy version shorter, and an online version that is longer? Take my comment with a grain of salt since I do not subscribe.

R
R
I'm with bill (I wont say weak). I have to be honest some of that stuff in the magazine is over my head with all the numbers. I just want my pond to look like it should be on a golf course. Not trump's golf course (sorry had to). I'm mostly bout the looks. Now dont get me wrong not much more I love than a kid catching a fish. They get pure joy out anything and any size. I do subscribe mainly just because I feel like I should because the love of this forum.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A mostly picture article gives the magazine content some format diversity. Each issue normally has 13-16 articles. An occasional longer article just reduces the total number of articles by one and the same total number of pages is retained. The editor thinks more than 2000 words causes the average reader to get bored and lose interest in the topic.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
...The editor thinks more than 2000 words causes the average reader to get bored and lose interest in the topic.

I have been an avid reader my entire life and still read 4 or 5 novels a month (more than 2000 words each). IMHO if the reader loses interest after 2000 words then either the topic is lacking sufficient content that is of interest to the reader or the author has failed to make the subject interesting. These are not problems I've found with PBM articles.

I think Brian's experience with solar would be a great series of articles but I also think there are other members that could chip in with their experience to really make the series outstanding! Maybe send a shout out to members for inputs?

Good time to suggest another series? Snipe has extensive knowledge about WE; from propagating newbies to stocking to harvesting to....I would really enjoy learning and reading about his experiences.

Wouldn't it be a nice addition to PBM to add a section titled something like "Readers choice" in each issue dedicated to topics the readers request?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/22/19 06:56 AM. Reason: clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Love ya, Bill Cody. When you start paying the print bill, I'll take your 'weak' comment. We are limited to 64 pages, period. That's the number. Happy to add more photos. What do we delete to add more pictures or words? I'd rather a long story be broken into a series to do it justice. There are 18-21 different pieces in each magazine. That's due, in part, to my philosophy of about 60-65% content and the rest advertising. Most magazines, by necessity, are 55-45 just to cover the financial nut. Not that many years ago, we had 12-15 different pieces in each magazine.

The online version is the same as the printed version. I'm personally not interested in investing more time than I already do to write longer articles, pay the layout guy, and pay the company that hosts the online version just so we can have more photos and more words. The cost doesn't justify the effort with no financial return. That's how it works. And, I'm not interested in more effort to post on the Pond Boss website so people can read it for free. That's the business side.

We truly appreciate those of you who subscribe and frankly, I don't understand why the rest don't. Subscriptions and advertising in the magazine, with a few donations, is where the money comes from to cover the cost of this "free" forum.

I've always appreciated everyone's input, especially guys like Bill Cody, Highflyer, Sunil, and all of you other guys that make this forum a family. The volume of information and the welcoming attitude of everyone here is what makes this thing fly. I appreciate all of your "free" donation of time to do what you do to make this forum as successful as it is. It can be a big time sink. And guys like Bill Cody, teejaeh, esshup, Dave Davidson, and lots of others are living proof of that.

Thanks, all of you. Working to provide a better magazine.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
S
S
I'm late here but believe anything from Highflyer on solar would be very good reading-possibly the best understanding of an entire system that I have ever seen. I really enjoy speaking with him knowing we both have backgrounds in the same industry to pay the bills and both have similar interests beyond that. His knowledge of solar would be a very highly received chunk of info in my mind. Can't help but think that would be a good move to include whatever he has to share.
My 2 kw..

A
Online Content
A
Appreciate all the great info & advice, Bob! Your attitude toward constant feedback & openness to positive change is refreshing.

Hope to make the April Higher Pondology conference, if my foot issues clear up a bit. Gout ain't fun!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've heard that an excellent article about hatchery spawning of walleye will be in an upcoming issue of PBoss magazine. Get your subscription for Christmas.

Bob Lusk - Thanks for explaining the editor's position of running a low profit magazine. I have no answers for getting more subscribers as this topic has been "floated" numerous times to minimal success. There are lots of ponds across the country but few owners are willing to be concerned enough to spend $35.00 a year learning about good pond management. Evidently a fact of 'pondlife'.

My uneducated answer to: "What do we delete to add more pictures or words?" My thinking about how to add more pictures to a story is delete one of the other short stories in the issue and run the deleted short one next issue. I've heard the editor is always looking for articles for next issue - LOL.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/22/19 10:33 AM.

S
S
Bill C., I remembered to renew my membership so I wouldn't miss that walleye article, looking forward to the reading.

Just a suggestion, but I've been at Brian's watching him build his toys for years. So, as a guy that's seen and tried to digest all the info I could, I would like to see a solar article split into 2 regular sized articles, with 1 article on 2 consecutive issues.

The first issue could be a short explanation of what the system's capable of, and the the main body could be about solar panels. Panel type, sweet spots for panel wattage, seasonal angle changes, hooking up multiple panels, etc. All the way to the system plug.

The second article could be about the inverter, controller, wiring sequence, batteries, power requirements, optional controllers, etc.

Way too much technical stuff to digest all at once. Or at least it would be for me.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 11/22/19 07:47 PM.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
FirelsHot - Excellent suggestion for topics of two solar aeration articles. You know enough about a system to suggest important topics for explanation. Articles like this would educate readers as to what is involved in a solar aerator so wise homework decisions can be made for buying or understanding components of a system. Eagerly looking forward to reading the articles. Educational articles like this could increase subscriptions to the magazine. IMO we need more articles with this format. How to do it type of things.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/22/19 08:08 PM.

W
W
I will double down on what FireisHot said. I think there is a LOT of room to run with a solar series of articles. I think "on demand" aeration via solar could be it's own article or two. Then there could be a series on solar with batteries from there. When you start talking about "The second article could be about the inverter, controller, wiring sequence, batteries, power requirements, optional controllers, etc." I am still digesting after a few years of doing it! I also think the article has got to explain things where even a caveman like me can understand it all.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
T
T
Brian(highfyer) has been kind enough to invite me to his place on several occasions and I have seen his solar setup. He walked me around it all and told me about what he has done and what he is going to do with it. All of it was over my head. I'm am just lost for the most part. So, I have to agree with wbuffetjr and request a series of articles. I did learn that if you want to aerate with something like surface aeration or pond circulation 24/7 there is a lot to it all when using a solar setup with battery storage. Solar/battery system for dummies might be a good article all of it's own. The power cold then be used for whatever around the pond. Pier lights, underwater lights, surface aeration, just to mention a few.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/23/19 06:51 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
J
J
I have been thinking about having Walleye in my pond for a few years. This year I put them in. So the articles about walleye are going to be right up my alley. Thanks.

Lunker
Lunker
We've actually got two walleye articles in the Jan-Feb issue of PB.

I'll be in touch with Brian to get to work on a series of articles about solar.

Last edited by Bob Lusk; 11/23/19 04:31 PM.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Originally Posted By: Snipe
Bill C., I remembered to renew my membership so I wouldn't miss that walleye article, looking forward to the reading.

Me too. I just remembered (thanks to a reminder I got in the mail smile ) to renew my subscription for another 2 years today. Pretty easy to do by clicking the Pond Boss link and renewing from the store!

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/23/19 08:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
C
C
Bob,
I'm listening to an old facebook live video that you did this spring. In this segment you mentioned the presentation and article you wrote about the history of pond/lake management. You said that it wasn't worth writing a book about this as no one would read it. Yet I think many of us would like to read it.

I found your article on the Lake Professional society web page. On the same page was a group of other fantastic sounding articles written by Greg Grimes, Matt Rayl, Mike Otto and others. All the articles are password 'locked'

I'd love to read your article, can you grab that PDF and post a link somewhere on this site? Or better yet would the other authors of the articles on that page mind if last year's information was made public for all of us to read and enjoy by giving us the password?

Here is the link:

http://lakeprofessionals.org/2019-summit-presentations/

Finally, will you be at this organization's 2020 summit coming up in January, 2020 in Florida? I bet many on this forum would love to go but maybe the general public is not invited to this society meeting?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 11/23/19 07:55 PM.
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I'll be in touch with Brian to get to work on a series of articles about solar.

IMHO it would be nice to get some input from Wbuffetjr as well. His experience with the unique challenges of dealing with solar in the cold, altitude and snow would be an interesting addition and perhaps be information that is not available else where...maybe his solar and wind power projects together would be something for "the cutting edge" section of PBM?

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/23/19 08:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
IMO those presentations should be written up and published in PBoss magazine. I think this would improve the technical side of the magazine. The editor wants to make some content improvement changes and this would be one good way to do it. Plus it would lighten the bimonthly writing load for the editor. Win - Win.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/23/19 08:27 PM.

All,

Great insight on what is needed and wanted as it pertains to a set of articles on solar. While it is true this can be a complicated subject, like so many, I started out using cheep controllers and the wrong batteries. Thankfully, I had mentors that showed me the way to do it as a best value proposition. I will work with several to ensure we get the balance right for each article.

It is great to see so much enthusiasm for this topic. I believe solar can change ponds. For me, it goes all the way back to Bob saying aeration is magical when it comes to pond health. I understood immediately what that meant (gases in solution, Boyle's law ect.) and I could see how solar could give that magic to those who don't have electricity at their ponds. I then got busy on my journey. I now use solar to move water and air, light Tilapitopia, and heat water. I have the parts for three more solar projects on the farm and I hope to get to a few of them this winter. I will take pictures of those projects as they progress.

These articles will be fun to collaborate on. Let the journey begin.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
W
W
I am looking forward to this. I think it's gonna be great!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
A
Online Content
A
I'd like to see a couple of articles on stocking trout in a southern LMB pond. What size trout are best as forage, little or bigger guys? What are the results of stocking? How important is it to feed the trout? I have an idea that trout in the winter and TP in summer might be a good, though expensive, strategy. But I've had bad ideas before!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The magazine has in the past had an article or two about fall trout stocking to feed bass and as a cool - cold weather sportfish. It is probably time for the editor to run another trout article. IMO it would be very good if interviews and pictures from pondowners who do this are included in the article/s!!!.

The forum member Catmandoo regularly stocked trout in the fall as an exciting winter sportfish. If you would like to read those past printed articles you can either search the indexes of past issues or do a PB forum or google search for the past forum discussion info and associated pictures. This reminds me to get busy as time allows to create multiple year indexes for PBoss mags post 2007. Look for these cumulative indexes in the Common Q&A Archives section in a month or two.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

Pond Boss Trout Articles:
Trout, as bass forage, Sep-Oct 2000
Trout – put & take, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout rainbow, Mar-Apr 2004
Trout tiger, Sep-Oct 2004
Trout brook spawn box Sep-Oct 2006
Trout catch & release Jul-Aug 2006
Trout cutbow Jan-Feb 2006
Trout Donaldson steelhead Jan-Feb 2006
Trout forage mgmt Sep-Oct 2006
Trout Kamloops Jan-Feb 2006
Trout rainbow hybrids Jan-Feb2006
Trout rainbow varieties Jan-Feb 2006
Trout wild feeding benefits Nov-Dec 2006

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/24/19 09:55 PM.

A
Online Content
A
Thanks so much, Bill! I hope there's been some scientific studies on this, or at least reports from pondmeisters who've done it. Expensive, but I'm willing to do it if it would help the condition of my fishery.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by catscratch - 03/18/24 08:53 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM
A modest proposal
by anthropic - 03/18/24 06:29 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?