Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
A
Originally Posted By: RStringer
How about a pond calendar?

I like this idea. I'd buy one. Would be much nice to look at than the silly Dilbert calendar that I have in my office now.

B
B
May have been suggested already, but would be great to have an index for all magazines and topics covered. Maybe each year in the Resource Guide. That way we know where to go back and find certain articles in previous magazines.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/28/19 10:05 AM. Reason: spell error correct

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
N
N
How about a featured pond each magazine. Could include pictures of the individual’s pond, interview Q&A style about steps they have taken to improve or overcome obstacles. I hear about everyone’s ponds on the forum, but it would be great to see pictures and get the back story one at a time. The pictures could be taken by the pond owner to keep the cost down of sending a photographer. They could include pictures of their aeration setup, feeder location, any structure they are working on, etc. that they feel could be of benefit to others.

Last edited by N.TexasHalfAcre; 09/27/19 11:54 AM.

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
R
R
Yes a face with the story would be nice. I remember some of the frequent posters but would have no idea what they look like. It makes it more personal. I try in post alot of pictures cause most of us men as we know are visual people. Always curious and want to look.

My wife says I have an addiction just looking at it. I'm always thinking I could do this or that. Most of it dont ever come to life but the wheels are turning.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
F
F
A lot has been said here, so I will just add a little from the north and say small ponds, northern ponds and northern fish would be nice to read about in building, stocking and problems along the way in which suggestions might be passed on to all of us. I have only been in the pond stuff for five years, but have learned so much in that time! Much right here on the forum, and really some of that needs to be out there in print! Last show Bob talked about how hot it was there and her in Michigan we are looking at mid 40's, followed by 80's in the day, soon to drop more. For people just getting into this fun time of a pond, there are so many question and this magazine is a great source and can be even better with more input from the group on this massive forum! i am thankful for all of those voices out there!

half-acre pond, LMB, HBG, BG, GSH and CC ....goal is to
have fun fishing. And I subscribe!
A
A
Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
How about a featured pond each magazine. Could include pictures of the individual’s pond, interview Q&A style about steps they have taken to improve or overcome obstacles. I hear about everyone’s ponds on the forum, but it would be great to see pictures and get the back story one at a time. The pictures could be taken by the pond owner to keep the cost down of sending a photographer. They could include pictures of their aeration setup, feeder location, any structure they are working on, etc. that they feel could be of benefit to others.

Great idea!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Originally Posted By: ewest
Bob task me with writing a science based column. Most science based studies are University/Gov based and not necessarily small water oriented. So I search for info that may be applicable to us PB people. I try to avoid statistics and unknown terminology and put them in common terms if possible.

I try to cross sell the Mag. and Forum (tie them together). To search for the best material I need to know what to look for - that involves you telling me what you want/like. Let's hear your ideas on how to approach the science within your pond.

I enjoy your articles in the PB Magazine, Do you have anything on lmb/RBT when it comes to using the trout as forage for the lmb? Things like water conditions/temp etc as to when to add them. And things like how many per acre/ size of RBT to use when it comes to forage size and do I need to remove 50 lbs of fish before I add 50 lbs of trout? Is it really worth the time and money? Will we see much benefit? Any thing else? Thanking u ahead of it all.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Quote:
May have been suggested already, but would be great to have an index for all magazines and topics covered. Maybe each year in the Resource Guide. That way we know where to go back and find certain articles in previous magazines.

This has been done plus more. There is a Table of Contents and Index for each Pond Boss issue by year in the Common Pond Q&A Archives Section.
Peruse the list of topics for each year's information.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=22&page=1

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/28/19 10:15 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I also like the idea of featuring a pond and owner in each issue. History of the pond and pictures of their fishery, and some of their pond related features.

Do more interviews of pond experts and some active Forum members. In the interview ask for pros, cons, suggestions and their helpful ideas of what works well for them. Maybe occasionally interview and feature a worth-while qualified, experienced, learned advertizer. Some of them are knowledgeable, management wise and not just sellers.

Need more how-to-do it techniques of pond management as a photo series and descriptions.

In each issue turn one of the magazines 'Ask The Boss' questions into a 1-2 page article with pictures.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/06/19 02:08 PM.

N
N
Maybe a DIY project in each magazine?

NTHA - North Texas Half Acre
Cattle Ranch Ponds
I really enjoy the tangent articles like the recipe article every issue, the article on using big bait to catch big bass, etc. IMO there are lots of ways to take this. Examples, fishing with bobbers and figuring out how deep to set the depth, selecting the right hook size, selecting the right line and the best knot, what to do when a fish is gut hooked, selecting the best pole and reel for the target fish and angler skill level, etc.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
R
How about Bob tell us what he thinks of our ideas. Maybe his input will get gears turning. Some of the best ideas didnt come from one person ita from group discussions.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Disclaimer: I do not subscribe. My suggestion is a section for those focused on restoration of wildlife habitat. Water bodies are a centerpiece for wildlife habitat, be they ponds or wetlands.

R
R
Food for thought: I really appreciate how Mr. Lusk keeps the focus on ponds. I’m sure it would be much more profitable to have a wide ranging magazine that had more appeal to regular outdoorsmen.

In that vein, individual pond write ups would be most appreciated. Time consuming for the editor but oh so interesting.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Okay, Team Pond Boss forum, I've read and re-read all these comments. Part of our improvement of Pond Boss magazine is how it looks and is laid out.
But, I also think we need to freshen some of the content.

Here's where I need your help. One overwhelming suggestion is to document small pond DIY stuff. I need input, ideas and photos. Do that now.

I like Al Allison's idea about Gadgets and Thingamabobs. Need input from all of you with your gadgets and thingamabobs. I travel quite a bit, but not many people get as creative as Al does. Send me some stuff!

Another suggestion that makes good sense is to write about what NOT to do. Again, I need your input. Send ideas, mistakes, etc to me...with photos.

Also, I've found a reasonably-price cartoonist who's sent a few good cartoons that fit us. Look for one in the Jan-Feb issue.

I'm also thinking about product reviews. I'm a bit skittish about that. Which aeration company do I choose? Which product of theirs? You can't imagine the pushback from the companies that don't get chosen. Same with feeders and a number of other products. Not too interested in that topic.

Here's your chance to put some of your best ideas to work. Send your specific ideas, along with an explanation or a story, with photos, to boblusk@outlook.com. I'm happy to edit your story or take your idea and run with it as long as there's a reliable source for the information beyond the idea.

Let's do this! Send stuff now. I'm working on the Jan-Feb issue.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Don't' do - never underestimate the power and danger of a siphon or spillway.

Attached Images
46gIMG_0402.jpg
Last edited by ewest; 11/18/19 01:32 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bob Lusk's comment - "thinking about product reviews. I'm a bit skittish about that. Which aeration company do I choose? Which product of theirs? You can't imagine the pushback from the companies that don't get chosen. Same with feeders and a number of other products."

Instead of PB choosing a product or company why not, if they are a paid advertiser, have a lottery for each issue and the winner gets to write up a one or two page article that deals with their chosen products. Article should contain testimony and pictures of a pond / owner that is actually using the product. The lottery is a way of an unbiased choice of who gets to create / submit the advertiser article for the issue. If the advertizer does not submit their article on time then a back-up advertiser article is used and the looser loses their chance of having a feature article. The PB editor could have these articles lined up at the beginning of each year and just insert it for each issue.

If PB accepts them as an advertiser the products should be worthy of a short article all about using their product/s. To make it even more interesting the next PB issue could publish feedback from PB members about the previous advertisers featured product. If I buy something that does not do as claimed in my pond, other PB members would want to know.

Also I think the editor or a staff member could go out and do a feature story each issue about a magazine subscriber's pond. Or subscribers could send in a short story about their pond with several pictures. Instead of pond stories the editor could do phone interviews similar to what editor McDonald used to do including pictures with interesting pond related people or topics such as fish hatchery or professional fishery workers. Readers should find it interesting to read about an interview with Anderson's or Malone's Fish Farm. What about who raises the unusual species such as paddle fish, blue catfish. pumpkinseed sunfish, invertebrates or pond plants?. Why is one farm's fish better or unique compared to the others? What is their pride and joy? This might also generate additional advertising for the magazine. Not many fish farms are advertised in the magazine. Ads are mostly for products and services.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/18/19 03:18 PM.

C
C
I'm in 100% with what Bill C said. I met the biologist at Stony Creek, a small fish farm but major online and catalog outlet for buying all things relating to pond life. They do a huge business every year.

I spent 45 min at the fish farm in small town USA talking to a biologist who had a life's worth of experience (and opinions) and just wanted to share with anyone who shared his passion.

over his career he has seen many changes, has been in many aspects of the industry, and has good advice for young folks interested in this area. He would be a great person to interview and base a series of articles on.

I agree with Bill that ALL advertisers who are willing to pay to have their name on the web ads or the paper ads should be willing to do a product presentation write up including testimonials from customers and then be open to followup articles giving real life feedback from actual users.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/19 12:01 PM. Reason: spell correct
Bob,
I would be glad to show the three solar-electric systems I promised Bill and the others. I could show the parts and prices vs what to expect for output. Some will be very disappointed, but others could learn a lot.

What I do with my solar power is different than what most would do, but the power production would be usable for any application.

I believe a lot of people here have a misunderstand about solar and wind power production, the cost of the needed parts, and the regulations that keep us safe. So I would be willing to show what works for me.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think a tried and true practical application article about solar aeration is an excellent idea! All thumbs are up for this one. IMO the magazine is definitely remiss if it does not publish an article on this topic.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/19 03:55 PM.

J
J
Solar is a good idea. Even a small amount of solar will run a pump. Every little bit helps the whole picture.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Brian,
Let's talk, I'm in. Enquiring minds want to know...

By the way, the next issue of Pond Boss will the best ever, by far.

If you don't subscribe, do it now.

$35 a year is cheaper than a Friday night date with your better half, and lasts a year. Plus, look at all the learnin' you get.

click here: https://www.pondboss.com/subscribe

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think based on the amount of information needed to get a basic education about solar aeration there should be at LEAST two articles. I am interested in solar aeration with and without using storage batteries. Needed is simple basic information. The only thing I know about solar aeration is that sunshine makes it work. I'm pretty dumb about electronics of solar.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/20/19 08:03 PM.

R
R
Hey Bob can you put lots of pictures of Brian's set up. Playboy had it figured out long ago pictures are worth 1000 words.

Last edited by RStringer; 11/20/19 08:46 PM.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
I'll talk with Brian. He'll need to provide photos. As you probably know, we're limited on space, but we can use some really good photos that enhance the story.

Brian is a really good writer with a technical/intellectual approach to his projects. We've published him before.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images