Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Landon, JosephNY, theo, raw10000, jluher
16265 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16265 Members
36 Forums
37224 Topics
507127 Posts

Max Online: 2277 @ 12/03/19 04:57 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24034
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 20010
Dave Davidson1 14124
Bill Cody 13039
Who's Online
17 registered (RAH, 4CornersPuddle, jgr, john kelsey, Jeffrey Bandel, Kris B, Chris Rigoni, Rick O, FireIsHot, wbuffetjr, RStringer, texansfan, rjackson, GPtimes2, SetterGuy, KingRace78, Sunil), 363 Guests and 554 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#514079 - 11/16/19 08:48 AM How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed)
TGW1 Offline

Loc: Harrison Co. Texas
My pond was in the process of being taken over by Southern Naiad this past growing season. I added around 3 14" GP per acre last month. Do you think that will do the trick? Or will they take to the APW that I like so much? I have what I consider the right amount of APW around the ponds edge. Should I plan on adding some Aquathol Granular when the water temp goes back up this coming early spring? I don't mind a little bushy pondweed but this darn plant is really aggressive in my pond.

Tracy

#514080 - 11/16/19 09:18 AM Re: How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed) [Re: TGW1]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
All good questions that I will also be interested in the answers. My one acre RES/SMB pond probably has somewhere between 35 and 50% coverage of Bushy Pondweed. Bob had identified it for me at the get together I had at my place a couple years ago. At that time it ringed part of the pond and was a welcome addition as it had about the amount I liked. Then this year it exploded. I dyed the water heavily early in the season (March) but otherwise took no other action. Water got super clear and the pondweed just went crazy. In fact it caused the water to get clear enough when we had dive friends from Boston out for a visit, we snorkeled that pond to look at the SMB. I have numerous under water humps so the pondweed is scattered even out in the middle of the pond with clear water only in the deepest parts.

I also added 4 grass carp this September. I'm hoping they will keep it subdued somewhat next year.

Edited by snrub (11/16/19 09:19 AM)

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#514099 - 11/17/19 11:55 AM Re: How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed) [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

snrub, same here with the water clearing up. After five years of fertile green water and now between the BPW and the cold snap the water has really cleared to where I can see it growing on the ponds bottom in 6 foot of water. My designed spawning area is covered all the way to the surface. Way to much BPW for me. I priced the granular Aquathol and it's around 500 bucks to clear a half acre. I sure hope the GP choose to eat the BPW and not so much the APW. It will probably be the other way around and the APW coverage is almost perfect as far as I am concerned.

Tracy

#514122 - 11/18/19 01:49 PM Re: How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed) [Re: TGW1]
BrianL Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
Same here. I got the BPW for the first time this year. Added 4 grass carp in my 1.8ac pond. Thought I would wait and see how they do and maybe do a little chemical control next year to help the GC. Crazy thing was how clear the water got. My secchi disk is on the end of a 48" stick. Well after having to go elbow deep and still visible. I put the secchi disk on the end of a 10 FOOT pvc pipe. Elbow deep and I could still see it!!!!! over 11 feet.... Advantage I could see all my previous placed structure and it was all still in place.

#514140 - 11/19/19 08:58 AM Re: How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed) [Re: TGW1]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
That Aquathol price is kind of scary to me. That would be a thousand dollars for my one acre pond.

I have grass carp in the adjacent old refurbished pond and have no BPW there. The spatterdock spread like crazy and may have to do something about it this year, but that is another story.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#514143 - 11/19/19 09:42 AM Re: How to control Southern Naiad (Bushy Pondweed) [Re: TGW1]
TGW1 Offline

BrianL, one good thing is like your's, I can see most all of my structure/cover I put in the pond. I found some that I forgot about. And snrub, I was looking at the cost for treating 3.14 acres frown . I sure hope the GCarp prefer eating the BPW instead of the APW.

Edited by TGW1 (11/19/19 09:43 AM)

Tracy

Today's Birthdays
bobguillory, cchoate, Gary R. Hoenicke, John H., Loren, Loren Willis
Recent Posts
Slow around here lately?
by RAH
1 second ago
Bob Lusk meeting on Monday, Dec 16 5 pm to 7
by SetterGuy
Today at 07:57 AM
Happy Birthday DonoBBD!
by Sunil
Today at 07:56 AM
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by SetterGuy
Today at 07:52 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by TGW1
Today at 07:01 AM
8/10 acre pond with 1,500 HBG - Now what
by Cypressjeff
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
Why are deeper ponds less prone to fish kills?
by Bill Cody
Yesterday at 09:48 PM
New builder and ponds
by RAH
Yesterday at 06:17 PM
Automatic syphon system in northern climates
by Jeffrey Bandel
Yesterday at 05:15 PM
Floating covered dock
by Snipe
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
I Subscribe Permanent Link
Need Plants Identified - Texas Pond - Lily Pad ...
Personal Record BGxRES
Harry's Pond
pond view
Fishing Colorado...finally

2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide