Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
Ben,

Thanks for the input. I have a huge water shed so runoff water is not a problem for me. For example, we got 3 inches of rain the last couple days and the pond rose nearly 3 feet. I also have a well I can use to supplemet if required. The pond is not large; less than half and acre. My thought was "what if" I didn't lose water, or lost less water, to the water table when it drops. I can easily compensate for evaporation loss.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
B
Then heck yeah I would look at it! It would be nice not to have water table fluctuations in the pond. Can I ask why a water table pond in the first place with that much runoff, I estimate at least 18 acres of watershed based on that rise unless it is actually coming from underneath.

More than 18 acres but the ground was so dry it took a lot of it.

It's a water table pond because the bottom is gravel, sand and stone with just a little clay. As the water table is very high here, it works even though the level goes up and down with the normal water table fluctuations; about 4 feet fluctuation.

[Linked Image]
The one thing I see I would lose though is, now the pond rises above the water table and then "flushes" the excess water into it. If I seal the pond, I lose the water exchange I enjoy now.

[Linked Image]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I have this issue posed to the technical team - will relate info soon. I know the polymer is designed to be used to in sand, gravel, shale, rock, etc. - however it's the hydraulic pressure from EITHER side in a water table pond that has me guessing a bit. If water table pressure exceeds head pressure form pond, will the seal hold? I'll relate research ASAP - this is good for me to learn.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
What I learned RE true water table ponds:

For existing water table ponds sealing can be done. This is a situation where I like to see bentonite used with the sealant, adding inches to the bottom. Or, I’ve seen dragging the bottom of the pond to disturb the top 2” (4” max) prior to applying be very effective as well; this is where ponds need to have good clay content. People will be concerned that the sediment will settle out too fast, but it won’t be tight until the polymer meets with it. It should be done in one application if possible, meaning the drag happens (slow drag) in front of the applicator in his boat.

I don't know if treating a water table pond is worth the risk, frankly. If there existed a small cell upon which one could experiment at low cost, I'd be more inclined to recommend it.

Hope this helps.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for following up TJ. Much appreciated. I agree with you. After looking at the pros and cons, I think I will just let my little puddle stay water table and enjoy the nice water exchange with each rain.

[Linked Image]
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey Mark - any updates on the pond sealant project? How was your SD fishing trip? We need updates and photos of your trophy YP and WE!

D
D
TJ - Great trip to SD. Lots of action for an August trip. Nothing huge but a number of WE in the 20' to 23" range. Also a lot of nice SMB, makes me really look forward to getting them going in my pond.

The SoilFloc is doing its job well. Still running at about that normal 2"/week evaporation loss. With the rains we've had I have not run my pump since introducing the sealant in early July. Before, even with these rains, I would have been running it every week to 10 days. Really happy with the results.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
We need photos to substantiate these fish!

2" weekly is music to my ears - that's about what I'm seeing with evaporation at the farm on my treated pond, also. I'm stoked the leaking issues were resolved - another successful project! Thanks for the update - call me anytime for help.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I just applied one unit of this along my dam last night, which is just over 5000 sq ft of product. I believe my leak is on the face of my dam so I'm attempting to spot treat my first time. I can't tell if it worked yet obviously and won't be able to tell for a couple of weeks when I turn my well off. But wanted to note a few things about the application process while fresh in my mind.

1). Rather than throwing 2 ounces of product out at a time as recommended I put 28 ounces of each product into a hand held fertilizer spreader and spread it. This was approximately enough product to treat 150 sq ft at a time. Since I was only treating 15 ft out from my dam I had alternating flag colors along my dam at every 10 ft. These designated my 150 sq ft units to be treated.
2). We began by anchoring in each unit and spreading the product. But after treating about 4 units the product created a slime so slick we could no longer pull up the anchor. So we had to come up with a Plan B.
3). For the rest of the face of the dam we filled 2 spreaders at a time and found a boat pace that allowed us to apply at about half rate. So we simply drove back over a second time and attained the full rate application. This worked much better. Although if treating an entire pond I think having people controlling the boat with ropes from shore would be the best route to apply thoroughly.
4). Make sure that you have plenty of wet and dry towels in the boat. I don't think there is any way to describe how slick and slimy anything becomes when a small amount of this product gets on it with water. It was nearly impossible to stand in the boat after the first 20 minutes.
5). Put your pets somewhere away from this water for a few hours. My dog drank some and he struggled as it seemed to gum up his throat and he was left puking and coughing for 10-15 minutes.
6). I'd advise wearing eye protection. I got just a bit in my eye and it bothered me for 20-30 min.
7). I lost 20-30 FHMs that were feeding on the surface and had their gills get gummed up due to the polymer.
8). The water seems a different color and quality today. TJ said it would clear my water up, which there seems to be some of. But it also appears to have made it more blue than it has been the last few weeks. It seems to have a similar appearance to when I apply dye. I'm guessing the floculation and settling of suspended particles caused the change.

All in all it took about 2.5 hrs with 2 guys to apply one unit. Although if we would've used the back trolling and spreading method from the beginning I think we could've done it in less than an 90 min. We spent the majority of our time trying to pull up a slimey anchor rope and move to the next treatment area and then coming up with another idea of how to apply the product. If it works it is certainly worth the money, time and effort.

Last edited by NEDOC; 08/30/15 01:56 PM.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
And if he wants I'll let TJ post the photos/video I sent him. I don't know how to post pictures on this site yet and I'm sure he does.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Product gets very slimy - I nearly ate the gunwale several times during my first application. Backtrolling or ropes from shore on bow and stern are the way to go. If you would have mentioned the anchor I would have warned you, sorry Corey!

Keep us apprised, can't wait to hear your results!

T
T
I have a 3/4 acre pond approximately 13 feet deep and its leaking a couple inches a day. This happen a while back and we discovered a hole about the size of a tennis ball in the bottom. It leaks into what my neighbor thought was a spring but it's lake water. I had an excavator contractor dig, chase and recompact the hole about a year ago. It held just fine and now it's leaking through the same hole system again because the spring on my neighbors property just started running again. With a hole the size of a tennis ball would soilfloc be a possible solution? I don't want to have to drain to repair again. Thoughts????

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hi Tm

Feel free to ping me at tj@hudlandmgmt.com and let's chat about solutions.

Welcome to the Pond Boss forum family!!!

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 09/01/15 08:04 PM.

C
C
I am new to this forum, but found it while trying to get information on soilfloc. Like most people on here I was at the end of my rope with my leaking pond. I had 4 leaks in the dam that I could see the water running out of and down the dam creating a mud field at the foot of the dam. I had tried putting a concrete collar around the overflow pipe, that didn't work. I removed the overflow pipe recompacted clay in the hole and trench, that didn't work. I was contemplating totally rebuilding the dam structure at an estimated cost of $5000 when out of desperation I searched online and found soilfloc. I called their office spoke to a very knowledgeable person who got me set up. I applied the product as instructed and within 48 hours my leaks had 95% stopped and at 4 days had completely stopped. this product is absolutely AMAZING!! I fixed my leaks for $500!!! It is not difficult to apply but it is a pain to clean off of your boat, and I would wear clothes you don't mind throwing away when you are done. Once the product touches water it begins to gel, and if you are sweating it gets everywhere. But it is worth the little bit of pain to fix the leaks.

Welcome to the forum! And, thanks for posting about your leak stoppage. I hope your repairs hold. Do you know what caused the leakage? Is the pond new; do you have muskrats; trees, esp. dead ones on the dam? If you will ,tell us more about your pond such as size, your goals for it, its age, dimensions, what fish are in it, on and on. You'll quickly see we pondmeisters are completely absorbed by all this pond "stuff", whether it be our own ponds or someone else's.
Enjoy.

C
C
I have no idea what caused the leaks. The pond is about 12 years old. I have never seen muskrats beavers or anything. The pond is 100'x200' 12' at the deepest when full. There are no trees on the dam but there are some below it. The pond is stocked with catfish largemouth and has a ton of bull frogs, I also think there is a few grass carp in there. I did not stock I bought the property 2 yrs ago to eventually build a house on.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Great to hear the positive feedback, Capt04 - and welcome to the forum! I've helped coordinate 15 projects at this point and have seen remarkable results myself.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
OK, I finally have what I believe to be as close to a scientific analysis of what SoilFloc did to my pond as I think I'm going to get. Instead of an entire application to my pond, I simply tried spot treating with one unit (a bag of Product A and a bag of Product B). When rehabbing my pond, I had bentonite available and was worked into the soil up to about 3 ft. from full pool. Upon filling my pond it came up 8" per day until I got over the part of my pond that had not had bentonite applied. At that point I began going from 8" of water level increase to 1.5" of increase overnight. I knew I was in trouble immediately. As I kept the pond full this became it appeared I was losing less yet I knew I was still losing a significant amount of water. At ice out this spring I finally shut off my well and let the only influx of water be rain water and water from my geothermal system. To my estimation, my geothermal should be able to keep up with evaporation when its running hard. But it wasn't. In fact, when my geothermal was running non stop I was losing 1/2" or slightly more per day. So with TJ's help I decided to apply SoilFloc. At first I wanted to treat the entire .6 acre pond, but out of curiosity I decided to try spot treating the dam first. My dam is roughly 300 ft. long and the width of untreated pond down to the bentonite treated area I estimated at 10ft. So assuming this was the worst of my water loss I decided to treat this roughly 3000 sq. ft. of dam with SoilFloc.

Upon treatment I became concerned that I had wasted my time. My dam runs from southeast to northwest. The day I applied I had a NE wind of less than 5mph. There wasn't a ripple on the lake. But with this slight NE breeze I was hoping it would push it up against my dam rather than toward areas of the lake that I didn't feel were of concern. When applied the polymer kinda floats on the surface therefore wind, even a slight drift, is a concern. Just as I had finished my treatment the wind switched more to an easterly direction and there was a noticeable movement of the polymer up against my west shore. I began to assume the treatment was going to hit a part of my lake I wasn't as concerned about.

For 3 weeks post treatment I tried keeping my water level 6" or so above full pool to increase hydrostatic pressure on the polymer. Quickly I felt some difference had been made as usually when I try to go above what I call 'full pool' my well can barely raise the water at all. And I was gaining substantially after the treatment. Probably close to an inch a day I was now raising the water level. But I wasn't certain as the water levels were now different. So I waited and waited for the water level to get down to 'full pool' so I could compare apples to apples.

Prior to treatment when my pond was at 'full pool' and the geothermal was running 24/7 I was losing 1/2" per day. Well over the last 4 days combined under those same conditions (there could be evaporative differences I suppose) I lost 3/4" or slightly less in total. So over a 4 day period I lost 1-1/4" less water than what I would have lost prior to treatment. My best calculations come out that one single unit of SoilFloc has saved me roughly 20,362 gallon of water over the last 4 days. That's the equivalent of having a 10 gpm well running for 1.4 of those 4 days (don't check my math!!).

My plan moving forward is to apply another 2 units of SoilFloc along the rest of my pond that did not have bentonite worked into it. I hope to seal the pond up even tighter and have the water in this pond continually spill over into my big pond just from the water added from my geothermal unit. I am very pleased with my perceived results at this time. I will keep this thread updated as I gather further info.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
That's great news to hear, Corey...I'm so glad to learn of the improvement. Let me know what else I can do to help, here anytime!

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Now just find a quick, easy and cheap way to get rid of all of the carp in my 20 acre pond. That's not asking too much is it? smile

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Oh, and remind me to proof read my posts. Wow, that was atrocious. That happens when watching over a one year old and trying to post detailed information I guess.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Corey, I figured out your 20 acre pond. Blow the dam with TNT, excavate where necessary, create levies and 5-6 separate 3 acre ponds with different fishery goals. Each can have a couple 1/4 acre forage ponds dedicated to keeping base diverse and healthy. If you'd like me to draw up the blueprint and find a contractor, just say the word.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Lol. That'd be great but I'd need to find a divorce attorney as well because I'm positive my wife wouldn't be up for breaking up the aesthetics of our big pond.

Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023