Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, esshup, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 749 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#513480 10/30/19 09:35 AM
B
bcraley Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have an 18 month old 1/3-1/2 acre (will be nice to measure whenever Google updates) w/ max depth of about 9 feet... pretty much triangular in shape Stocked w/ YP - SMB - RES (which are fat and happy).

I want a turn-key system (not a DIY build). I ran 350 feet of buried conduit from barn to dock for electric earlier this fall. Now just need to decide on a system that is best for pond of this size and depth. Anyone have recommendations based on first hand experience? I assume one diffuser is enough...

Thanks in advance!

A
Online Content
A
I bought one of these. Three months in service it's ok so far.
Price is decent and they advertise on PB.

http://www.fishpondaerator.com/files/bigmaxdesc.html

I don't have any experience outside the DIY realm, but I can say that I would feel more comfortable with 2 diffusers. 1 Vertex diffuser, given an adequate single diffuser pump, will turn a 1/2 acre pond over in a day without any trouble. Where having two diffusers, using a bit larger pump, gives more room for modifying the run times and surface conditioning.

I used three diffusers in my 1/4 acre pond and am glad I did. I can spread them out to cover more of the pond's surface, shorten my run time down to just a few hours for summer night time use, raise my diffusers up closer to the surface (for better surface agitation), and still turn the pond water over top to bottom.

This all comes at a price, but even the smallest PondLyfe system from Hoosier Pond Pros comes with a double diffuser.

Augie's recommendation is likely the cheapest way to go. We'll have to see how it does for him long term as I have not read much about folks using that system here at PB.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Does your pond get much wind action?

Does you pond get many leaves in it?

What's your goal for the system?

Fish on!,
Noel
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre

Augie's recommendation is likely the cheapest way to go. We'll have to see how it does for him long term as I have not read much about folks using that system here at PB.

Snipe has one. Maybe he'll chime in if he sees this.

I will caution the reader who is considering the BigMax system - DO NOT order the system online - call the vendor and order over the phone. The air line included in the web site price is plain old rubber hose - it is NOT weighted air line. There is a nominal upcharge for weighted hose, but if you buy it off the web you'll then need to buy enough sinking hose to reach the diffusers, or figure out a method of adding weight to make the standard hose lay on the bottom of the pond.

B
bcraley Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Budget I figured would be in the $1500 range.

Pond gets a moderate amount of wind, but the damn being on the south side does shelter it from the prevailing South/Southwest winds over the summer months.

I have very few leaves currently.

Goal is just a solid fishing pond that I can grow happy health fish.

S
S
I'm happy with mine as well. As Augie says, you'll want to go with sinking/weighted air line if you go with fishpondaerator system.
They use the soaker-type hose filled with smaller SS ball bearings for a diffuser-which works absolutely fantastic btw.
The idea of a bottom diffuser is to circulate water-not induce air...
The amount of air and size of air bubbles has a direct correlation to how much water is moved. Remember that "X" volume of air has more surface area in smaller, more numerous bubbles than it does in few, larger bubbles, so more water is circulated by using a good diffuser. The lower water column usually has lower dissolved oxygen so by bringing that water to the surface it is exposed to the atmosphere where oxygen mixes with that layer.
I also believe when using bottom diffusers you can create too much volume and draw sediment that shouldn't be.
Generally speaking, surface aeration can be better for O2 requirements for fish, but there are other advantages of supplying O2 to deeper water, I just believe it should be a gentle roll.

I was in your position about 5 years ago. I researched lots of systems. I was looking for a system with low maintenance and high efficiency. My puddle is similar to yours. I went with Airmax PS20. To date, I have done no maintenance other than change/clean the compressor air inlet filter and burp the diffusers a couple times a year. The diffusers move more water per cfm of air than a membrane disc diffuser or other. They advertise no maintenance on the diffusers and I have seen no drop in performance after 5 years. I've seen lots of posts from folks with membrane diffusers that talk about pulling them up every year to clean them (different for every pond I'm sure!). The compressor is oversized for my puddle so it doesn't break a sweat in my pond which means longer life. I only have to run it 8 hours a night. I see no downside except.....they are pricey compared to most other systems! frown I recently found out that Rainman(Rex) here on the forum sells Airmax so he might be a good source.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/30/19 08:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
J
The big max offer you show is a rebuilt unit and only lasts a year before they need rebuilt. This is based upon me and my neighbor's experiences over a couple years. My last rebuild resulted in stripped threads on the housing bolts. Never again.

Agree about the non-weighted airline comment above as well.

I am getting much better aeration from the top-of-the-line Hiblow long lasting compressor and it is so quiet you can barely hear it at all unless you are standing right above its shelter. I've got two 2"x2"x12" airstones connected to it and it is simply outstanding. I run it all year long, non-stop. Easy filter access and cleaning. Always put check valves near your diffuser heads.

Cheers

Buckeyedude
S
S
Jeff, you can choose reman or new. This is why Augie suggested calling direct. I did the same and chose new.

Interesting. I wonder where they get so many used compressors to remanufacture?

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/31/19 07:27 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
S
Bill, I was told they are actually discontinued units obtained at a price they could rebuild and pass on an initial savings to the customer-note I said initial.. I realize they may or may not last as long as new, depending on what is required but they do fill a need.
I chose a new pump and it was twice the cost.
In my case it's a Thomas and I got to look at the rebuilt unit and the heads are different. I've since found that style pump and learned it was discontinued quite some time ago and there are no rebuild kits available for that pump but there is a replacement that isn't double the cost of the older unit so these are still in no way, obsolete.
I think these were units they gave an allowance on for updated units-as to the question of where they came from.
I found this old style pump is exactly the same housing used in our Medbed applications on our Air Ambulance aircraft. I looked at mine and it's identical but these are still available but about 6500 a pop. (typical in aviation).

Last edited by Snipe; 10/31/19 08:07 PM.
J
J
Snipe - let me carefully say, we were given 'less than full disclosure' on our units. Enough said. Happy now with my Hiblow.

Buckeyedude
S
S
Jeff, no problem.. we need to share experiences-especially here-or we have no feedback.

C
C
I would make sure you check vertex systems as a turnkey they are awesome.

I have their simple system, 1/4hp compressor, single station with 2 diffusers meant for ponds up to about 10-12feet. It easily does my 1/4acre pond no problem.

Very quiet.

After 5 years of warm weather only use I got the rebuild kit and they provided good support and walked me through the rebuild at home. It was very simple and the new parts improved on some design flaws of the old system.

Several vertex vendors on this forum. I would talk to the vendor first and ask if the new units are selling with the upgraded teflon cup and improved wear parts or if you will need to do that yourself upfront.

The main cost for me in using vertex was that they shipped to Michigan from somewhere in Florida and shipping weighted line is horribly expensive!! I didn't know it at the time but esshup on this forum is a dealer in Indiana (Hoosierpondpros) and would have done a great job getting me set up too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023