Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I been fishing a little recently to reduce any skinny lmb or male lmb. I am seeing some skinny males in the 15" size. My females in that size are not skinny, just the males. I caught one yesterday that was a female but it was covered with red places down it's sides. looked like red pimples. Any ideas as to what this is? Disease or water chemistry issue? When I was describing it to my son he said he a caught a couple of big bg that had the same look. I am not eating this fish if it is a disease. It's setting in a fish cage right now until I come up with an answer. Thoughts?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Tracy I have seen that on BG during the summer, stress maybe?

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
could be! since my were temps were high during the summer months and is just now cooling down to where I feel comfortable catching and releasing some of the fish.

Tracy
S
S
A picture would be nice but that sounds very similar to anchor worms..

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks snipe, but after loosing two phones in the pond I no longer keep the phones handy around the pond. maybe I can look up anchor worms and see if a pic of such things are out there. Clumsy on my part I guess

Tracy
S
S
Does it look similar to the "pimple" on the FWD Upper half of this tail??

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the pic but it is hard for me to see the pimple in the picture for comparison. But it could be the same. The lmb that I caught had a lot of these red pimples. It has so many that I wont eat it or release it back into the pond until I find out what's up. Only one fish out of the 6 I caught had this. The rest of the fish I caught were healthy looking females.

Tracy
S
S
Yeah, sorry the pic isn't any better..
Something you can do is mix a bucket of pond water with stock salt-straight NACL-in maximum dissolved concentration and put fish in that solution for several minutes. I think what you have is anchor worms, common external parasite in a stressed fish. You can take small tweezers and remove them manually, they are just like a short (3/16-1/4") piece of monofilament fishing line, but hard like a micro piece of "stick". The head is "T" shaped and anchors just under skin-usually under a scale-and the body, or "stick" part of parasite is normally pointed aft or slightly down, a little hard to see but you can grab that stick with fingernail or tweezers and pop it out.
There is no cure for removing these from a pond but the healthier the fish the less chance there is of attachment.
If you salt dunk these fish, when you put them in the salt solution you may see the fish go into what appears to be a convulsive behavior, this is normal, it won't kill the fish and the fish may even go belly-up but leave it in there for 2-4 minutes then remove the fish and put into straight pond water in another bucket and it will right itself fairly quickly. This salt solution will literally burn the eggs, interrupting the reproductive cycle of the parasite.
This procedure works for any external parasite including anything attached to gills.
There are some species that react differently than others in this salt solution but we use this on LMB, SMB, BG, WAE, GSF and RES.
I recently treated some YP with the same mix and had no mortality in 40+ fish. I can't say how any other species react other than CC, they turn pale in seconds and can only be in this for maybe 30 seconds before the burn is irreversible-they don't handle this well but they are also non scaled.

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Snipe, it's an interesting procedure. I am not sure what stock salt is other than pure salt. If I understand it all, the water treated is at saturation? And if you checked the chlorides under saturation the water would test @ or around 325,000 ppm. I would think the fish would die under this situation? Unless you just dip them in the salt water?

If I decided to mess with this I wonder if that fish would continue with normal growth or would not fully return to normal growth rates. And Thanks for the information on Anchor worms. I have good numbers of lmb in this size range and in fact this sized fish is what I have been removing through culling. It is easier to just chunk this fish on the bank. I don't think I want to eat it lol.

Tracy
R
R
I that the parasite that causes swimmers itch?

S
S
Tracy, when we move any fish from one State impoundment to another this is how we do it every time. The salt dip is complete saturation, correct. We do the same thing with every WAE we take eggs or sperm from during the egg program. Nebraska utilizes this technique as well.
It's just straight salt, obtainable at any farm supply store.

Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Tracy I have seen that on BG during the summer, stress maybe?

I see it on my CNBG and LMB then too.

AL

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Snipe, thanks for the info. I picked up the fly rod yesterday as this cold front move in, it was chilly, and did a little fishing around the 3 feeders. It's been awhile since I targeted the bg. I was surprised to see that I had about 10% of the cnbg had some of these pimples on them. I thought to myself "that sucks"! I guess I will see where it takes me. Bathing 10% of the fish would be a big job. Another thing I noticed was the fish that are most effected are the ones located where the feeder throws in the 4' of shallow water.

Last edited by TGW1; 10/12/19 06:49 AM.

Tracy
S
S
I know this sounds quite labor intensive, but I mix a 5gal bucket every time I fish.. I soak every fish I catch unless it appears perfect, then I just do a dip n go. It may not get rid of them but I'm stopping the cycle of as many as I can.
I do this with fall net samples too..after measure-weigh they go into a 200gal tank mixed this way and I do 5-6 fish at a time. Some fish get it twice in 7 days because I know I get some recatch but 700+ fish dunked in 7 days without any loss makes me feel better I guess.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Tracy - Lost 2 flip phones and finally got a smartphone along with a lanyard: https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Beast-Universal-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B01KYCQDUO

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails