Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freg, Jared015, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 729 guests, and 217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 65 of 183 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 182 183
A
A
Talked the Mrs. into going skinny-dipping in the pond for the first time tonight.

She didn't stay in for very long but she did it. lol

R
R
Congrats Augie!!! Ponds are a beautiful place for everything.

Last edited by RStringer; 09/11/19 08:57 PM.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Originally Posted By: Augie
Talked the Mrs. into going skinny-dipping

WoooHoooo!

Fish on!,
Noel
R
R
Got 10 dozen craws today by USPS for the new pond.

C
OP Offline
C
curious how they packed them so that they could stay alive in a box? I understand their gills need to stay wet to survive out of water?
What was the transit time and from what location?

R
R
Place was in Ohio and I'm in Central Illinois. They mailed Monday and I received Thursday morning. Interior of box was cool, not warm at all. They seemed to have packaged them on sopping wet sphagnum moss, 12 to a plastic container about the size of about 24oz cottage cheese container but made of hard plastic like a solo cup. Holes punched in the top and taped to keep closed. The containers were set inside a cardboard box and containers were packed in with damp newspaper that may have been frozen when first packed. Box was a bit damp but held up well. Craws were frisky for the most part with a few casualties but less than one would expect for the journey they had. $60 Shipped for 120 craws. I bought them last year for my bigger pond with about the same results, would buy again.

Additional SMB recruitment. Must be from last year?

Schools and schools of these fry all around the pond. Caught 100s of HBG. Big fish fry last night. smile

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Originally Posted By: Augie
Talked the Mrs. into going skinny-dipping in the pond for the first time tonight.

She didn't stay in for very long but she did it. lol

Ha! Lots of swimmers here, but no skinny dippers!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
Dumbfounded frown Went looking for my ECHO Polesaw and it has come up missing. I worked on it a while back thought I put it away and now I am not sure if someone needed it more than me or I just misplaced it. I had two young men out to the pond and worked to remove some of the Willows that are so invasive at the pond. Wound up using one of the chain saws along with some roundup 365 to dab on the top of the willow cut. We also replaced a couple of the metal 55 gal drums used for floating my pier and replaced them with plastic drums. We used the front end loader and some straps/chains to pick up one end of the pier and slipped out the drums that needed to be replaced. The water was cooler than I expected after it had been in the mid 80's just a few weeks back. Now I am thinking I might be ok to start up a little fishing in a couple weeks. Still have a lot more Willows to be removed. I also increased my feeding time by 2 seconds on two of the three TH feeders. Bg were very active along with seeing several lmb in the 3lb range moving around and in with the bg. It was a long day at the pond.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
A case of walking polesaw ? Hope it did not go for a swim !

T
T
Eric, anything is possible when it comes to me and my projects smile My CRS seems to be getting a little worse each year. I am going to backtrack my last trip around the farm. It's possible it is laying on the ground someplace if it was knocked out of the back of the side by side. I can see it now, where I forgot (CRS again) I had it back there and I caught on something that pulled it out of the back of the Polaris without me knowing it. Hay! what's another 400 bucks for replacement? Dam it!

Tracy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I know the feeling all to well !!! shocked

G
G
Originally Posted By: roundy
Place was in Ohio and I'm in Central Illinois. They mailed Monday and I received Thursday morning. Interior of box was cool, not warm at all. They seemed to have packaged them on sopping wet sphagnum moss, 12 to a plastic container about the size of about 24oz cottage cheese container but made of hard plastic like a solo cup. Holes punched in the top and taped to keep closed. The containers were set inside a cardboard box and containers were packed in with damp newspaper that may have been frozen when first packed. Box was a bit damp but held up well. Craws were frisky for the most part with a few casualties but less than one would expect for the journey they had. $60 Shipped for 120 craws. I bought them last year for my bigger pond with about the same results, would buy again.

I would be interested in an address or name of the place you purchased those craws, I love them for forage for bass and even crappy, the pond I fish in currently is loaded with them, you never see them but all the crappy and any injured bass that I clean are always loaded with them, but I am filling a new pond with fish so I wouldn't mind to get a good start of them in that pond before I introduce the predator fish. Thanks in advance!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
R
R
Gehajake - PM sent, I was unsure on the propriety of posting a direct link to the website by a non-advertiser.

-------------------------------------------------------

Well done ! Thank you for not posting on the open forum - the mods.

Last edited by ewest; 09/19/19 10:42 AM.
A
A
Originally Posted By: gehajake
Originally Posted By: roundy

I would be interested in an address or name of the place you purchased those craws, I love them for forage for bass and even crappy, the pond I fish in currently is loaded with them, you never see them but all the crappy and any injured bass that I clean are always loaded with them, but I am filling a new pond with fish so I wouldn't mind to get a good start of them in that pond before I introduce the predator fish. Thanks in advance!

Love craws, both in pond & boiled, but be aware they may eat some of your pond plants. I haven't stocked any for that reason, as until this year I've had a hard time growing pond plants. This spring will be a different matter! grin

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

R
R
Anthropic - I will concur on the pond plant issue. I have done three different plantings trying to get plants started in my 2 ac pond. I haven't been able to get anything started yet. Not even any natural occurring plants except just a smattering of smartweed. Earlier this spring I had a coating of green on the pond bottom around the edges and in the BG nests, but even that is gone now. I don't think that is all by accident, them craws are hungry rascals. For now, I'm going to add some more hedge brush and see what develops. The pond has only been filled since this early spring, but had but was dug a couple of years ago, I had to rework watershed to get pond to fill.

As many of you know, I stocked too many crawdads in my pond prior to stocking the game fish and the craws outgrew the fish. The only plants that have taken to naturally growing IN the water are the Arrowheads (and the occasional culled cattail). I successfully planted a few Pickerel Weeds that made it through the winter and have planted a couple Thalia dealbata this year and some Kidneyleaf Mud Plantain. The craws don't seem to eat these in my pond, maybe they would be something to consider in y'all's ponds that have crawdad populations.

I tried American pond weed too, but the craws uprooted them all and they are now hanging in pots off the dock and seem to be doing well, but the craws can't get to them.

Fish on!,
Noel
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I used to feed baby LMB and BG/RES in an aquarium . One item I would use was tiny craws about the size of a green pea. The fish loved them. I rotated fish in and out as they got bigger. A few months later I noticed that some new small fish had cuts on them and the fish number was down from stocking. I looked real close and under some stacked rocks was a 3 inch craw snacking on a dead BG. One of the tiny craws obviously survived and hid in the rocks. One days prey becomes the next weeks predator.

V
V
Although less than 50 miles from areas flooded by Imelda we are still waiting for some serious rain. In the past few days Imelda has probably dropped a half inch at our ranch. The biggest benefit has been for the grass and forest, both were suffering from a prolonged hot dry spell. The ground is not saturated so no runoff to the pond yet.

Imelda may still dump something on us tonight. Fingers crossed.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
P
P
I’m north of ya and we haven’t had even a drop ......pushing 3 months without any rain

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Is this terribly unusual weather for your area of Texas?

N
N
What did I do in my pond today. Well, I have about a 1/4 to 1/3 acre Michigan pond that is stocked with about 10 large mouth bass and 75 bluegill. I fed those bluegill with a purina gamefish feed about 32% protein. Just have been doing that for about 2 weeks and they are starting to learn and are starting to turn up the water. Noticed my minnow population and baby bluegill population are exploding and the bass are going crazy on them around the shores. Plenty of places to hide for these minnows, but the bass are crafty. smile Oh, and up here in Michigan(at least my town) has abnormally low rain this summer. Lost about 27 inches over 6 months.

Last edited by Neskcafeshorts; 09/20/19 02:52 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Rah, some areas around Houston got up to 40 inches of rain. One, a little more. While that's unusual and overwhelming, it's not unheard of. One problem along that area of the Texas coast is overbuilding. The areas that were once natural drainage areas have been developed with a lot of houses and other structures which impedes the natural runoff back into the Gulf.

Who was the singer that sang "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."? I've never seen a politician that didn't want growth.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We pond and wetland builders are certainly helping slow the movement of water and reducing flooding downstream, but some poor regulations certainly discourage such activities. Often, imagined risks are considered without considering the tangible benefits. Wears me out sometimes...

Last edited by RAH; 09/20/19 06:05 AM.
T
T
RAH, great time to post up that picture with the statement about regulations and the unforeseen consequences. Texans for the most part don't like regulations and really don't like them when it comes to the land the own through working to get it or by family passing it down through generations. Not a lot of regulations here when it comes to pond or wetland building. We even get tax breaks for wild life preservation. Similar to as if we were growing crops. What concerns me is the fact that many people are now moving into Texas and they come from over regulated areas across the USA. It's just a matter of time before they will want to change Texas to be like the place they left.

As far as our weather, it's either feast or famine and has been that way as far back as I can remember smile

Last edited by TGW1; 09/20/19 06:27 AM.

Tracy
Page 65 of 183 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images