Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Ryan M Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I’m about to come into possession of a 100 gallon aquarium. Got me wondering if I could utilize it over the winter to do something to benefit my pond come next spring. The bg In my pond are not pellet trained and I’ve never seen one go after any of my catfish pellets. From what I’ve read here - sounds like introducing pellet trained bg can help to teach feed training to existing bg stock. So would it make sense to gather some small bluegills and train them over the winter? Or I’ll open this up to other suggestions - can you think of a fun winter project for a 100 gallon aquarium that would ultimately benefit my pond.

The reality is I just like fish and want an excuse to get an aquarium going in my shop. Just thought it would be more fun if it had an end goal.

S
S
I have never seen BG that wouldn't train to feed in the pond on appropriately sized pellets-eventually..
But, with that aside, nothing wrong with trapping some YOY or buying some and working with them in the aquarium.
I'm guessing some sinking or hydrated feed to start with would be best. Starting with small pieces of worm and slowly adding a few pellets. Others here are masters of feed training so I'm not going to pretend I am, but I did successfully train my first 2 big batches of perch this year by instruction of Bill Cody.
Have fun with it.

Snipe, you haven't seen my silly bluegills. I stocked 25 7 and 8 inch adults in June. They came from a fish supplier who supplementally feeds Purina and another brand of fish food (not Optimal).

I feed Optimal BG. My trout and grass carp devour it, my GSF will eat a bit of it, the bluegills ignore it. Or, if they do grab a pellet, they quickly spit it back out!

Crazy fish, those bluegills and their hundreds of fingerlings. They're right under my nose at the dock. All they want are dried mealworms, which they scarf until they look like they'll explode.

Ryan, I brought a few GSF, BG, crawfish, and tadpoles into the house to stock my aquarium. The sunfish and crawfish all enjoy Optimal in the aquarium setting. Go figure.

I believe my GSF and YP learned to eat pellets from watching my trout feed. The bluegills just can't be convinced that pellets are the way to go.

S
S
Again, never say never.. At 7-8" they may be a bit more set in their ways but I can't help but think they would eventually start feeding on it.
4CP, let me know if you want more YP.. I have an extreme abundance right now.

R
Ryan M Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have fed my cats in the ponds for two years now and have not seen a bg take a single pellet. But again I’m feeding randomly 2-4 times per week and it appears that consistent feeding might be the issue.

Curious if you have pellet trained bg - and you can only feed a couple times per week - do they remain trained? Or do they stop feeding on pellets?

R
R
I hand feed Aquamax MVP Sportfish very intermittently, maybe twice a week and only about 8 oz at a time. BG, HBG, GSH, and FHM all tear it up and they have never been trained. I think they are just hungry! LMB and YP will come around and look things over, but I think they were more interested in all the other diners more than the pellets.

I would imagine the mealworms are like filet mignon to the BG you have, I wouldn't want to eat pellets either.

S
S
That’s actually an interesting idea. Never heard of this approach, but I mean definitely give it a try. I guess I’m not that creative with my tanks. Also, I’m not a fan of such big aquariums though, I find it pretty hard to maintain them. That’s why I usually go for either 30-gallon or 50-gallon. My brother actually owns an aquarium shop if you want to check them out, I know they have a great variety of 100-gallon tanks that would suit you. But for me, I like to choose the best 50-Gallon Fish Tanks online. I like to read recommendations and reviews, and nevertheless compare prices between more stores, so that’s my go to option.

Last edited by Saviran; 02/19/21 02:12 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
Piece of cake. Been there, done that, published the article in PBMag.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If the BG are conditioned to eat meal worms then this is what they will prefer until the meal worms stop. regular CC pellets 36% protein is not the food you want to use to train BG or any fish to eat pellets. Usually the higher the protein the more palatable the pellet. You want a 40%protein that almost always has flavor enhancers. Quickest and IMO best way to train BG is to take a lesson from the ones here that are relatively easily training RES to eat pellets - use Optimal. Then soften it to the point that you can roll, shape it into shapes of wax worms. This softened pellet will sink. Once fish are eating it gradually start feeding just soft pellets that float on the surface. Then gradually make the pellets more and more less moist.

Excerpt of how to soften high protein fish food from the link.
Abt. 1/2 c water to 1 qt pellets and shaken till all water is absorbed. Different brands sometimes require more or less water. Allow wet pellets to stand 1-2 hr , some pellets need to soak longer; warming helps speed softening. Now the pellets can be rolled, pinched or molded into softened balls and many hesitant fish will accept this form of food. Larger pellets for big fish can be made by molding several pellets together. Small fish can eat a larger pellet that has been softened. Many fish reject the hard pellets due to texture. Soften the food, make it similar texture to other live things fish eat and now they will learn quicker and easier to eat pellets.
https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthre...rd=10&Number=27378&what=showflat

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/17/21 12:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Freeze dried krill work well for a starter food. They will first eat them after they waterlog and sink, then the greedy fish will start eating them while floating to get the krill first. After they eat on the surface, a good 40%+ pellet is an easy lesson.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
I would go to local pet store and purchase a pelleted feed for carnivorous cichlids which are highly palatable, usually more so than feeds made for pond use. Selecting floating pellets that are about 1/4 diameter of the bluegill mouths you are trying to feed. Feed frequently in small amounts. The aquarium feeds are less likely to cloud water and glass of aquariums when you are pushing the filtration system. Freeze dried krill is great when you can get it in small amounts. Sundried shrimp are not too bad as a second choice. Once fish on feed in aquarium, they will quickly transition of pellets in a pond setting.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
S
S
I've got BG, RES, LES and PS in my tank.. They took fairly quickly to flake foods first, then as Jim says, I went to cichlid pellets and now I feed Optimal Jr crushed a bit.. They're fat little suckers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails