Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Felt, LaBassmaster, Andrew Epperson, Steve Grasberger, sriley
16217 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16218 Members
36 Forums
37129 Topics
505293 Posts

Max Online: 2022 @ 10/09/19 11:25 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19973
Dave Davidson1 14049
Bill Cody 12961
Who's Online
2 registered (Snipe, N.TexasHalfAcre), 64 Guests and 534 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#511516 - 09/12/19 11:05 PM Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium?
Ryan M Offline

Loc: Western NY
Iím about to come into possession of a 100 gallon aquarium. Got me wondering if I could utilize it over the winter to do something to benefit my pond come next spring. The bg In my pond are not pellet trained and Iíve never seen one go after any of my catfish pellets. From what Iíve read here - sounds like introducing pellet trained bg can help to teach feed training to existing bg stock. So would it make sense to gather some small bluegills and train them over the winter? Or Iíll open this up to other suggestions - can you think of a fun winter project for a 100 gallon aquarium that would ultimately benefit my pond.

The reality is I just like fish and want an excuse to get an aquarium going in my shop. Just thought it would be more fun if it had an end goal.

#511517 - 09/13/19 12:21 AM Re: Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium? [Re: Ryan M]
Snipe Online   content

Loc: NW Kansas
I have never seen BG that wouldn't train to feed in the pond on appropriately sized pellets-eventually..
But, with that aside, nothing wrong with trapping some YOY or buying some and working with them in the aquarium.
I'm guessing some sinking or hydrated feed to start with would be best. Starting with small pieces of worm and slowly adding a few pellets. Others here are masters of feed training so I'm not going to pretend I am, but I did successfully train my first 2 big batches of perch this year by instruction of Bill Cody.
Have fun with it.

#511650 - 09/16/19 09:31 PM Re: Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium? [Re: Ryan M]
4CornersPuddle Offline

Loc: southwest Colorado
Snipe, you haven't seen my silly bluegills. I stocked 25 7 and 8 inch adults in June. They came from a fish supplier who supplementally feeds Purina and another brand of fish food (not Optimal).

I feed Optimal BG. My trout and grass carp devour it, my GSF will eat a bit of it, the bluegills ignore it. Or, if they do grab a pellet, they quickly spit it back out!

Crazy fish, those bluegills and their hundreds of fingerlings. They're right under my nose at the dock. All they want are dried mealworms, which they scarf until they look like they'll explode.

Ryan, I brought a few GSF, BG, crawfish, and tadpoles into the house to stock my aquarium. The sunfish and crawfish all enjoy Optimal in the aquarium setting. Go figure.

I believe my GSF and YP learned to eat pellets from watching my trout feed. The bluegills just can't be convinced that pellets are the way to go.

#511653 - 09/16/19 11:26 PM Re: Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium? [Re: Ryan M]
Snipe Online   content

Loc: NW Kansas
Again, never say never.. At 7-8" they may be a bit more set in their ways but I can't help but think they would eventually start feeding on it.
4CP, let me know if you want more YP.. I have an extreme abundance right now.

#511655 - 09/16/19 11:37 PM Re: Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium? [Re: Ryan M]
Ryan M Offline

Loc: Western NY
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I have fed my cats in the ponds for two years now and have not seen a bg take a single pellet. But again Iím feeding randomly 2-4 times per week and it appears that consistent feeding might be the issue.

Curious if you have pellet trained bg - and you can only feed a couple times per week - do they remain trained? Or do they stop feeding on pellets?

#511671 - 09/17/19 10:47 AM Re: Training BG to eat pellets in aquarium? [Re: Ryan M]
roundy Offline

Loc: Beardstown, Illinois
I hand feed Aquamax MVP Sportfish very intermittently, maybe twice a week and only about 8 oz at a time. BG, HBG, GSH, and FHM all tear it up and they have never been trained. I think they are just hungry! LMB and YP will come around and look things over, but I think they were more interested in all the other diners more than the pellets.

I would imagine the mealworms are like filet mignon to the BG you have, I wouldn't want to eat pellets either.

Today's Birthdays
cwooten
Recent Posts
Walleye
by Snipe
2 minutes 55 seconds ago
Plant suggestions for muddy/fluctuating pond
by N.TexasHalfAcre
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
What fish combinations for a tiny BOW?
by jpsdad
Yesterday at 10:49 PM