Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32
W
OP Offline
W
Deeper water here we come! The area covered in grass used to be 2" - 6" deep. Now it is 14' deep. Once we raise the water level it'll be 16' deep. Doing this for ~30%+ of the shoreline. Bring it on winter!

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/08/17 09:08 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Getting all that vegetation out of there will help with your oxygen issues.

W
OP Offline
W
I hope so! This is the most expensive weed eater I have ever used! smile

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/19/16 06:32 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
Well back from hunting and collected some data while I was there. I would like to hear what the experts have to say about this. It seems like a huge improvement to me. I don't like to see lower DO numbers in the first few feet but seems much more important to have "livable" DO over twice as deep this year. A few changes that could have led to the "improved" numbers.

First, summer 2015 I did not have the diffusers running in the deepest water all summer. The deepest diffuser was in ~12' and this year I put all the air to one diffuser at 19' all summer. There was a terrible smell coming from it. Just moved it to 7' on 9/26.

Second, summer 2015 was our first year with the repaired water level 4.5' deeper. There was still quite a bit of vegetation growing in areas that I thought would be too deep for it to live with the new, deeper water. Still had a good bit of water crest. Not nearly as much vegetation as summer 2014 though. Summer 2016 there was considerably less vegetation than 2015.

Third, not sure why but this summer I am assuming we had a heck of a plankton bloom. The water was greener than I have EVER seen it. It is usually Tea colored, but this summer it was very very green. This September every morning shortly after sun up there would be bubbles and a "film" on top of the water. Plankton die off? Whatever it is I am assuming it is oxygen related and not good.

Fourth, we did another round of tree clearing this summer.There were several days the windmills seemed to spin all day. Of course here and there they seemed to sit still for a day. I think they will spin even more in the winter than in the summer. I installed a Davis weather station with wind meter and a data logger so that I can see for sure when I get back there summer 2017.

Anyway, the fish seem as healthy as ever. They chase the fat heads all the way into the very shallow water and thrash around like sharks. Every morning drinking coffee you can watch fish jumping here and there. Still a billion scuds in there and the fish are plump. Caught the first Brookie ever from the lake and he looked like he was doing very very well! I have a remote camera pointed at the lake to see if we can keep a hole open through the winter.

Now hopefully they make it through the winter. Time will tell.....

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 10/13/17 12:10 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It matters when you took the O2 readings (time of day). First light will be lower than late afternoon. Bloom probably is from nutrients brought up from the lowest anoxic water getting to sunlight and O2. More plankton/plants means more of an O2 swing night to day.

Vegetation will grow a few feet past where you can see a secchi disk. If the tops of the vegetation can get sunlight, it will grow even if the bottom of the plants don't see sunlight. They might not grow there next year, depending on the water clarity.

Every little bit that you are doing will help long term. I'd like to see the O2 levels in the 9-10 range, but you will get there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: esshup
It matters when you took the O2 readings (time of day). First light will be lower than late afternoon. Bloom probably is from nutrients brought up from the lowest anoxic water getting to sunlight and O2. More plankton/plants means more of an O2 swing night to day.

Vegetation will grow a few feet past where you can see a secchi disk. If the tops of the vegetation can get sunlight, it will grow even if the bottom of the plants don't see sunlight. They might not grow there next year, depending on the water clarity.

Every little bit that you are doing will help long term. I'd like to see the O2 levels in the 9-10 range, but you will get there.

Thanks Esshup. I always take the DO readings first thing in the morning so that I will be looking at worst case.

I am putting in a solar rig next year come hell or high water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Next year, take the reading at the usual time, then take another reading in the same place an hour or two before sunset to see what the difference is. You might be surprised!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
Bill Cody what do you think of those DO levels?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The pond was not thermally stratified in 2015 nor 2016 when the measurements were collected. The planktonic algae bloom in 2016 is consuming lots of DO during the night(algae respiration) so when the DO was measured early morning it is quite low which no doubt stresses the trout. They are barely surviving at 4ppm. Trout are stressed at DO below 5. The cooler temps in the 40's help reduce the DO stress to the trout. Several cloudy no wind days will result in low daylight DO production. If you have a trout kill this fall-winter it will be due to the 2016 plankton bloom if it persists.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/04/16 03:31 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
W
OP Offline
W
Thanks Bill!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Another note: natural trout waters (lakes/ponds) stay clear and rarely have algae blooms that reduce the transparency. Algae blooms generally cause significant DO sags that eventually end up killing trout.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/04/16 08:15 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
I am assuming that after I have been aerating the lake for some time EVENTUALLY the blooms will slow down??

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
What I do know about blooms is they are unpredictable and undependable. I think some of the stimulation for your bloom has to do with the shoreline cleanout and sediment resuspension. Sediments have a lot of nutrients in them.

W
OP Offline
W
Bill this bloom happened over a month before the shoreline clean out. I am almost positive it was from moving the diffusers into the deepest water in the last week of June. Never had them there before and never had a bloom like this before. The diffusers have been back in shallow water now for almost 3 weeks for winter. Hopefully the bloom is over for now.

EDIT: Thinking about this a little more. After the shoreline cleanout on August 10-14th, the whole lake looked like chocolate milk. Everyone was surprised that one, we didn't kill all the trout and two, how fast it cleared up. Maybe the milky water has something to do with the lower than 2015 DO as well?

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 10/05/16 12:48 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
Well, it has begun! Last year the lake was frozen over by November 5. I hope an extra two weeks of open water helps make life a little easier on the fish this winter. Maybe a slight increase in their chances of survival??

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/08/17 09:11 AM.

W
OP Offline
W
Not a definitive test, BUT the black arrow is the "hole" from my Koenders windmill and the yellow arrow is the hole from my American Eagle windmill. Will be interesting to see how the holes fare as winter progresses. Weather station nearby said -4 degrees there this morning.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/30/16 09:01 AM.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
What is the water depth at the diffusers?

W
OP Offline
W
7'-8' deep for both

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/30/16 01:08 PM.

That camera is too cool! Can you make it pan and zoom remotely? What's the power source? Solar?

It will be interesting to see if the holes are visible once some snow gets built up on the ice around them.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
W
OP Offline
W
Unfortunately it cannot pan or zoom. It is just a cellular trail camera. I have two of them up there. One is made by Covert and one by Reconyx. The Reconyx camera takes one picture per day whether there is any movement or not. It is perfect to watch the progress of the lake through the winter. They are both powered by AA batteries. I use lithiums and they will run for months.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 12/01/16 06:25 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's pretty cool. -4??? Dang, I am not looking forward to that weather at all.....

Good to see the holes, I hope they stay open!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
OP Offline
W
Interesting developments. Have had a good bit of snow up there. Not exactly sure how much, but will know soon. The weather station nearby has recorded a low -8.5 degrees so far. Both windmill holes disappeared for one week. However, the American Eagle windmill not only opened its hole back up, but has had it open in every pic I have gotten since. Meanwhile, the Koenders doesn't seem to have actually been able to even make open water. You can see what looks like a wet spot just left of center in the pic. Definitely starting to see a trend.

Both windmills are running two vertex diffusers. I am having doubts as to how much the one little hole open can really help my lake.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/08/17 09:15 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Only -8.5°F? We has -16.2°F Monday morning right before sunup.

What are the specs on both windmills in regards to CFM?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: esshup
Only -8.5°F? We has -16.2°F Monday morning right before sunup.

What are the specs on both windmills in regards to CFM?

Esshup,

WOW! That is COLD!!!

We just came back from a week up there for Christmas. Took a snowcat to get up there. The coldest temps we saw while we were there was 0. We had ~4 - 5' of snow on the driveway but only ~18" on the lake due to wind it seems. I had pictures of holes from both windmills open in the lake before we got there, but all holes were frozen over by the time we arrived and on through until we left. Before we left, I closed one of the valves for the Koenders to force all the air to one diffuser. I figured one stronger diffuser might stand a better chance opening a hole than two diluted diffusers (The Koenders could not keep a hole open last year with two diffusers. This year I moved them close together thinking they might help each other, but it did not seem to be working). The day we got home I got a picture showing the American Eagle hole open again, but nothing for the Koenders.

SPECS

From Koenders rep
"The compressor is capable of pumping 28 lbs pressure, but will only pump the amount necessary to push air into whatever depth water you have...for example 10 ft of water depth will require about 4 lbs. (aprx .4 lbs per ft of depth) And it will only require about a 9 mph wind to do it! The volume again varies with water depth. At 1 ft of depth you will get 3 cfm...at 10' about 2.5 etc."

From American Eagle website
The American Eagle website claims 3 CFM in 3-5 MPH winds and 6CFM in 15-28 MPH winds.

From personal observation in the summer and fall, I can see that the American Eagle unit puts out way more air than the Koenders. The plume from the diffuser seems twice as big.

W
OP Offline
W
Well here is an update. Have had a couple good storms come through and one of them alone dropped over a foot of snow in town. I don't know how much at the cabin, but it could easily be twice as much. Had three or four days in a row with little to no wind and no holes open and then this today. The American Eagle poked another hole through again. With all the air going to one diffuser the Koenders has had a hole open more now than it did previously, but it still doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the American Eagle unit. I have to say I am impressed.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/08/17 09:15 AM.

Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy