Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ari Rak, Mel-, Sdelaney, Fredly, Ryan P.
16181 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16182 Members
36 Forums
37056 Topics
504050 Posts

Max Online: 1622 @ Today at 10:09 AM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19948
Dave Davidson1 14026
Bill Cody 12921
Who's Online
17 registered (Joey Quarry, KW35, Snipe, dreams of ponds, Flame, Augie, Bocomo, Zep, RStringer, Custom 68, Downrigger56304, NEDOC, Quarter Acre, ewest, MOFishermen, Dave Davidson1, teehjaeh57), 952 Guests and 575 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#511350 - 09/09/19 09:14 PM Central Ohio first year .85ac pond questions
Oddo Offline

Loc: Central Ohio
what thoughts do you all that read this forum suggest one do this fall?

my questions: how many more hybrid bass should I stock in October? what stocking size should these bass be?
[there are swarms of shiners and minnows all around the pond]
[to control predator fish numbers stocked hybrid bass; plus these bass fight harder and grow faster; put and take is the plan AND large BG; target size being 1 lb+ -- including redears]

background: pond filled over winter; pool depth 13ft; 50%+ 8 to 13ft deep; 17 stacks of pallets [4 to 5 high] along 200ft of perimeter; most stacks have X-mass trees attached [all weighted down]; total 36 X-mass some along edge of deepest pond area; crushed 3/8"or smaller stone 5" deep along the 200ft run [for spawning beds] 3 feet deep; pond is feed by watershed of 7ac. as of July pond settled to 12 feet deep [evaporation, very little ran]; water chemistry: PH 7.8--8.4 (varies by time); hardness 180+/-; alkalinity 220+/-; Secchi depth kept between 18" and 36", currently 27" [recently fertilized slightly]; pond water is nicely green; feeding about every other day.

stocked as follows:
spring (April)+ (May) stocking FHM & shiners:
20 lb. golden shiners + 20 lb. brooder shiners; added 2 gallon in May
20 lb. FHM standard (April)
20 lb. rose FHM (April); added 2 gallons FHM in May
spring May stocking:
mix of HBG and reg.BG 4" to 7" (about 75 @ 8") quantity 750
Redear BG 3-4" quantity 200
Hybrid striped bass 3-5" quantity 50 [stocked 25 April]
and 25 bullfrog tadpoles [stocked in adjacent wetland pool]

current conditions ~~ Sept. 2019:
feeding swarms of shiners and minnows along with BG; huge numbers of fry along shoreline; can not identify small BG yet -- need to learn and experience more.
the tadpoles [mix of green and bullfrogs] now show legs.
the Blue Heron visits but limited his access by double fishing line around most of the pond; emergent plants starting to show [volunteers];
many BG are now 8" a few 9"
there were dozens of spawning beds all around the pond June
many hybrid bass are now 9" to 11"
one can catch 5"+ golden shiners on small hooks
hoping the hybrid bass grow fast enough to control the numbers of huge shiners eating all the food in the pond
concern is what happens over winter?
over did the habitat?
hoping to have fat BG and bass come spring and have a fish fry

comments and advice greatly appreciated.

#511357 - 09/10/19 12:16 AM Re: Central Ohio first year .85ac pond questions [Re: Oddo]
Snipe Online   content

Loc: NW Kansas
Stepping out on a limb here, but I'll say welcome to the forum first!
It looks to me like you are setting yourself up for potential stunting of sunfish.
Your main predator is non reproducing and "I think" you may need another predator in the stocking plan here.
HSB don't have a huge gape so they will tend to eat a certain size forage that I think is going to leave an opening for escaped sunfish to overpopulate. That first year class of larger BG/HBG/RES are going to GROW big but their offspring may be a different story. A lot of this would depend on how many HSB you cull and how many you replace, Just seems like something is missing.. Maybe a few walleye??
I'll defer to others for consideration.

Edited by Snipe (09/10/19 12:18 AM)

#511365 - 09/10/19 05:23 AM Re: Central Ohio first year .85ac pond questions [Re: Oddo]
Dave Davidson1 Online   content
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
How big is the pond?

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#511372 - 09/10/19 06:48 AM Re: Central Ohio first year .85ac pond questions [Re: Oddo]
Theo Gallus Offline
Lunker

I was in much the same situation about 17 years ago. IMHO all those Shiners are detrimental to a goal of large sunfish. Given your fish populations and stated goal I would stock LMB, let them eat the Shiners (2-3 years time frame), then continually remove larger LMB to maintain a large number of small bass to thin the BG.

P.S. Large LMB eat just fine.

#511403 - 09/10/19 04:56 PM Re: Central Ohio first year .85ac pond questions [Re: Dave Davidson1]
Oddo Offline

thanks for the advice

will put in LMB for handling the larger shiners; my error in thinking the hybrid bass would be sufficient; was concerned with over population of the bass

pond is .85 acres -- in the title, easy to miss.

OK will stock 25 sizable [8--10 inches] bass this October when the water cools; about right number?

caught a 6 inch brooder shiner this morning -- looked heavy with eggs, last spawn before fall? -- there will be loads of food to over winter the LMB and HSB?

Today's Birthdays
adam black, JOTMCKIN, PondSmith
Recent Posts
To Aerate OR Not To Aerate?
by Joey Quarry
8 minutes 17 seconds ago
Water Chemistry Log by QA
by Joey Quarry
17 minutes 31 seconds ago
How long does it last (treatment) ?
by RStringer
45 minutes 42 seconds ago
Forage pond question
by ewest
49 minutes 43 seconds ago
Chronicles of stocking Hybrid Striped Bass......
by NEDOC
57 minutes 48 seconds ago
Soil question for pond renovation
by ewest
59 minutes 0 seconds ago
What did you do at your pond today?
by ewest
Today at 04:02 PM
Effects of winterkill
by ewest
Today at 03:58 PM
Pond leaking?