Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ari Rak, Mel-, Sdelaney, Fredly, Ryan P.
16181 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16182 Members
36 Forums
37051 Topics
503991 Posts

Max Online: 1383 @ 08/09/19 04:50 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19943
Dave Davidson1 14024
Bill Cody 12918
Who's Online
14 registered (Bocomo, saint_abyssal, Clay N' Pray, SetterGuy, DavidDunn, Bobbss, wbuffetjr, John Fitzgerald, jludwig, Custom 68, Nebucks, RAH, rjackson, Pat Williamson), 284 Guests and 547 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#510642 - 08/22/19 02:33 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. [Re: Snipe]
DrLuke Offline

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Sure am glad to hear that your dam held up! Whew!

It has been a funky year for rainfall. Here in central Iowa, May got 13 inches (normal is 5), June got 9 ( normal is 4.5), July was typical (4) and August was dry....until 4 days ago, when we got 4 inches in one shot, and 2 more 48 hrs later. My pond had evaporated down as expected during the dry July and Aug weather, but she's topped up again now! I had the 'iced coffee' colored water for 2 months (May and June) and it's back to that again. Main positive from this colored water was the effect on my FA. My pond has the least FA we've seen in the past 4 years. We have kept using pond dye this summer, once the water cleared up and spot sprayed and raked.

I am hoping that you kept more of your mature fish than you know. I know electro surveys can be a bit pricey, but maybe it would be helpful in developing the management plan going forward? I am likely going to get one next spring, to see now my 2017 stockers are progressing.

#510645 - 08/22/19 02:39 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. [Re: DrLuke]
Snipe Offline

Loc: NW Kansas
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
Sure am glad to hear that your dam held up! Whew!

It has been a funky year for rainfall. Here in central Iowa, May got 13 inches (normal is 5), June got 9 ( normal is 4.5), July was typical (4) and August was dry....until 4 days ago, when we got 4 inches in one shot, and 2 more 48 hrs later. My pond had evaporated down as expected during the dry July and Aug weather, but she's topped up again now! I had the 'iced coffee' colored water for 2 months (May and June) and it's back to that again. Main positive from this colored water was the effect on my FA. My pond has the least FA we've seen in the past 4 years. We have kept using pond dye this summer, once the water cleared up and spot sprayed and raked.

I am hoping that you kept more of your mature fish than you know. I know electro surveys can be a bit pricey, but maybe it would be helpful in developing the management plan going forward? I am likely going to get one next spring, to see now my 2017 stockers are progressing.

I work directly with KDWP so if I want to shock, I put the shocker boat on and just do it..:-))
Temps are still up at a point I don't like to handle fish if possible but when it gets down to upper 60's this is an option.
Our highs are forecasted in the mid 70's next week with lows into upper 40's so that may happen sooner than I thought.

#510733 - 08/25/19 11:23 AM Re: New Pond in NW KS. [Re: Snipe]
NEDOC Offline
Lunker

Loc: SC Nebraska
Iíve been watching this last round of storms down there. Hoping a couple of those big rains slid east of you.

#510736 - 08/25/19 01:19 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. [Re: Snipe]
Snipe Offline

Loc: NW Kansas
We had another 1.5 2 nights ago but missed the big stuff.
Pond did come up about 6" but that's normal. I don't see much for rain in extended forecast but highs in the low 70's and low's down in the 40's forecasted so not sure how my tilapia will fair. I don't think I'm going to need to worry about FA again this year, water was 72 yesterday evening..

#510739 - 08/25/19 04:01 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. [Re: Snipe]
RStringer Online   content

Loc: Parsons KS
Kansas has taking a beating this year with all the massive rains. Hopefully you will have a good turn out and not have lost many. Good luck I hoping for a mild winter myself.

#510740 - 08/25/19 04:15 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. (The end of..) [Re: Snipe]
John Fitzgerald Online   content

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
The big rains missed us again today. Not a drop fell here. Low ponds. We did get enough small rains last week to re-green the hayfield and lawns that were browning. We have not had any rain with run-off since June 24. Some places relatively nearby have had over 6 inches in the past two weeks. The weather site I belong to acknowledged we could be in a rain shadow.

#510741 - 08/25/19 04:26 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. (The end of..) [Re: Snipe]

If it starts to sprinkle here they put up flash food warnings. The ground has been pretty soaked all summer. No where for the water to go. I have a small creek in my backyard. It normally is dry most of the year. It has had running water for months now.

#510748 - 08/25/19 10:06 PM Re: New Pond in NW KS. (The end of..) [Re: Snipe]

This is the creek that for most of the year is dry. This year it has been from 3 inches to 4 feet deep and never been dry.

Attachments
Screenshot_20190825-210444_Gallery.jpg (34 downloads)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Today's Birthdays
jkdolan, jkilmer83, lassig, Monty M, Randy H., Trent Aldridge
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy
FA did not appear this year, think I know why
by John Fitzgerald
How would you tackle this hole?
by Ryan P.
11:01 AM
Renovating Erickson-Percival Reservoir
by NEDOC
10:18 AM
Crazy idea - pen raised tiger muskie....
by NEDOC
10:15 AM
New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control
by jludwig
08:39 AM
Soil question for pond renovation
by Alen jones
07:18 AM
Question about fixing an old pond
by TGW1
06:33 AM
Fall & water temp