Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (TLL, DrewSh, New Guy, catscratch, Boondoggle, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti), 1,109 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#508516 07/05/19 09:13 AM
K
Kubler Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Good morning! My name is Jonathan and my brother-in-law just purchased a property with a 1 acre pond, here in Florida. While we were celebrating our Independence Day and birth of our great nation yesterday, we had an opportunity to fish in his pond. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that there are any good fish in there and an overabundance of trash fish, specifically plecos and armored catfish. They were munching on the vegetation around the edges and coming up gulping for air. I think they have cleared out all of the good vegetation at the bottom of the pond as I was not able to feel any structure or plant life on the bottom when dragging a worm along the bottom. We also noticed that there didn't seem to be anything that were eating the bread balls that we were tossing in around the pond.

He is wanting to just have a fun recreational lake where his boys and mine can swim and catch bluegill, bass and the occasional catfish. With that in mind, it seems we will be starting a project to get the pond back in shape.

With so many of these plecos and armored catfish in the pond, I think we will start by cast netting as many as we can in hopes of greatly reducing the population. Any other suggestions for removing them? We will also be looking at the soil and water quality and possible aeration/fountain to promote better vegetation and water clarity long before we start to put any good fish in there.

In the meantime, I will be reading and absorbing as much information as possible to make this pond great again.

D
D
Might be best to kill them off and start over. The experts should way in shortly, but that would be my advice.

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Welcome to Pond Boss.

Sounds like a mess. I'm not knowledgeable about plecos or armored catfish. Gulping for air would indicate an oxygen shortage/water quality issue often caused by too many fish or rotting vegetation. With the lack O2 nothing can work out.

Step one is to observe and keep notes. Step 2 would probably be to kill off/nuke everything and cast netting won't do much for you in an acre. That takes chemicals and a waiting period of about a year. The water is too warm right now to stock anything.

BTW, bread balls won't draw anything. Fountains don't aerate anything but are mostly ornamental.

How deep is it? Any way to talk to the previous owner?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
K
Kubler Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the responses. The average depth is 6ft or so and I'm not sure that there is a way to talk to the prior owner or not. Aside from the commercial aerators, any links to more creative solutions if a fountain won't work?

Fountains have there place beyond aesthetics, but they are not the best for aerating the water in typical scenarios. Smaller shallow ponds can see good benefits from the fountains, but the most effective/efficient way to aerate a pond that I have read about relies on air diffusers driven by an air pump. A 1 acre pond would need at least 4 diffusers driven by, for example, a 1/4 hp rotary vane pump. 6 to 9 diffusers may be more appropriate for 1 acre ponds with hot summers or odd shapes. This pushes the pump size up too (3/4 hp).

I would definitely do some cast netting, seining, trapping, and fishing to determine the size classes of trash fish (and others) you have and their abundance. Ponds can be turned around by stocking predators that are large enough to not be eaten themselves, but this takes years. Like others have said...draining/nuking the pond and stocking from scratch should yield the fastest results.

Fish on!,
Noel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?