Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure), 694 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#508444 07/03/19 07:54 AM
A
Aynsley Offline OP
OP Offline
A
So am new to this forum, have done the whole searching around on the things I needed advice on and now need to get some clarification on some points.

I am here in northern Va with a pond that hasn’t had anything done to it in years. I moved in 10 years ago, once I got other things checked off my list I finally got to the pond about 6 years ago, I trenched some electric cable down to the pond edge myself, which was the biggest obstacle to the aeration project.

Picked up two gast pumps locally , fairly cheaply I think. One is a 1/4 HP and the other monster is the 3/4HP model, $500 for the pair just needed rebuilding with the rebuild kits. I am currently running the 1/4hp unit. I just have two 100’ hoses out to single diffusers about midway in the pond. Best option I thought, pond is narrowed tear drop shape with the point being shallow at a few feet to the fat end being 8-10 at most.

So now I have some more motivation to get more done with the pond. Got an extension agent and the John Marshall soil and water county agent coming out together next week. I am going to get the water hardness and ph tested as well as the soil or muck on the bottom tested.

So my questions are -

When I get everything tested etc. I plan to get my circuit changed over to 240v and the motors rewired (as they can be wired for 120 or 240 ) , and then run the 3/4 Hp unit-this unit can run up to how many diffusers ? 5 seems to be the number I’ve seen on here. And keep the 1/4 as a backup for 2 diffusers

Best place to get the weighted air lines, seems to be about $100 per 100’ is the average, unless there is a better retailer someone knows about?

If I have to apply lime, alum or whatever else is it cost effective to DIY or find someone to do it ? I have a farmers Co-op I use for feed and farm stuff 2 miles away, so can get lime etc. -once it’s all been tested.

If I DIY anyone know of a tried and tested method, ie. buying such and such pump and spraying the slurry mix out of what’s needed over the pond, in order to get a more even application.

That’s it, the agents are coming out and will have a better plan of attack after that is my hope.

"and then run the 3/4 Hp unit-this unit can run up to how many diffusers ? 5 seems to be the number I’ve seen on here. And keep the 1/4 as a backup for 2 diffusers"

The 3/4 HP Pump with the deepest diffuser at 7 foot should be able to handle up to 9 diffusers giving about 1 CFM per diffuser. Vertex diffusers are rated at 1 CFM while, the Matala 9" are rated from 0.88 to 2.8 CFM and the 12" are 0.88 to 5.65 CFM. Mix and match appropriately. You will have about 9 CFM to work with.

I run my 1/4 HP Gast with 3 diffusers, but when I cut back to one in the winter time, I exhaust some of the air so that I don't blow the membrane up. This may not be necessary. I'm just being cautious. I know that one vertex can handle all that my pump will put out (about 4 CFM) for a short period as I have done it by accident a time or two.

Check out Hoosier Pond Pros for 5/8" weighted line...

https://shop.hoosierpondpros.com/Aeration_c3.htm

Fish on!,
Noel
C
C
That's where I got my weighted hose, great folks to deal with.
Dave

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
A
Aynsley Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you , will look into them and order some hose and add my next diffuser this year, with maybes another next if I use the 3/4 horses gast pump then.

I always thought at least adding an aeration system would be the biggest single thing I can do for the pond, and is better than nothing. As adding this will aid the bacteria already present in eating all the bio-degradable muck.

Will let you know what the water results are next week and the plan for the pond is , as far as lime etc.

Aynsley, It's important to know how big your pond is in order to verify the aeration system's size. You can use google maps to measure the shoreline (then convert to acres) and you will need to know some water depths so that an average depth can be figured.
Then gallons of water can be estimated. This will help you decide which pump is more appropriate AND how many diffusers you need.

The 1/4 HP pump with 2 or 3 diffusers would handle a simply shaped, relatively shallow, one acre pond. I think it would be pushing it for a two acre pond, especially if it was odd shaped and/or fairly deep.

Let's estimate your pond size before you make any decisions. Guessing on the depths can be very risky as older ponds may fill in faster/slower than you know. Do you have a boat to get out on it and take some rope measurements (or like to swim)?

Fish on!,
Noel
A
Aynsley Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I figured at the time that two diffusers was better than none, and that’s what I had the spare cash for, pumps, rebuild kits, diffusers, putting the electric cable in and weighted air hoses. Now I want to move onto stage two, again have some spare cash to do it now.

Will look into depths and more precise size this coming week and as I said I’ve got two pond guys coming out next week. Then armed with all the pertinent depths and test numbers will get a plan sorted out. A good supplier of weighted air line was my main concern and some reasonable straight forward advice.

The larger 3/4HP takes a bit more electricity to run and only have the two diffusers out there anyway. Although I do like the look of this type of DIY solar setup-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UyTTbt-dpRQ
Or at least is a good starting point for me to figure my own out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass