Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle), 625 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm wanting to get into fly fishing - this will (at least initially) be just to use around my ponds. I have some basic ability in using the equipment - I used to fly fish our family pond about 30 years ago - but am needing to (obviously) upgrade gear.

Anyone have any recommendations? Not looking to break the bank, just a decent starter setup.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
I just got a Big Horn 3wt combo for Father's Day. It was on sale at Cabela's for like $70. Comes with 7.5' 4pc rod and reel loaded with 3wt weight forward floating line. I'm loving it!!!

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/17/19 11:22 AM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
Hard to beat a Big Horn combo at that price.

Not sure what fish you're targeting, but a 5 weight will handle most anything in a pond. A short outbound line (weight forward) is easy to throw, and I might go up 1 weight to make casting much easier. Buy a 6#, put 7# line on it, etc. Doing this is the same as fishing a 1/2oz lure on a conventional fishing rod that's rated for 3/8oz lures. That small amount of extra weight makes casting a bit easier.

AL

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Hard to beat a Big Horn combo at that price.

Not sure what fish you're targeting, but a 5 weight will handle most anything in a pond. A short outbound line (weight forward) is easy to throw, and I might go up 1 weight to make casting much easier. Buy a 6#, put 7# line on it, etc. Doing this is the same as fishing a 1/2oz lure on a conventional fishing rod that's rated for 3/8oz lures. That small amount of extra weight makes casting a bit easier.

Mostly BG/HBG/BCP but odds are I'll pick up LMB.

I'm thinking that Cabelas combo might be the ticket.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
A 3wt can handle LMB up to maybe 4#. But you wont land her quick. My son uses one for trout fishing and catches 20" trout in current with it.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
B
Bass Pro has a great setup that is on sale now from $129 down to $80 or so i think.....their "Hobb's Creek" brand of fly gear.

If you want to be able to throw big, hairy bugs, streamers (clousers) or worm-type (4-6 inch weighted)flies, a 5 or 6 weight rod isn't going to do it.

Get a 9 ft., 8 weight rod and use a 4 or 5 foot level 12-14 pound leader....nothing longer or you will have a hard time turning over a big fly.

Of course if you are only catching 14 inch bass and can throw a small fly to do it then a 5-6 weight would be fine. You will be happy you have an 8 weight when you catch a 4 pounder and need to muscle it out of cover and keep it from going deep into brush, etc.

You need a fast action fly rod for bass flies and you won't find a much better deal than the Hobb's Creek setup.....but go 8 weight. BM61.

Last edited by bassmaster61; 06/17/19 02:18 PM.

Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
Bass Pro has a great setup that is on sale now from $129 down to $80 or so i think.....their "Hobb's Creek" brand of fly gear.

If you want to be able to throw big, hairy bugs, streamers (clousers) or worm-type (4-6 inch weighted)flies, a 5 or 6 weight rod isn't going to do it.

Get a 9 ft., 8 weight rod and use a 4 or 5 foot level 12-14 pound leader....nothing longer or you will have a hard time turning over a big fly.

Of course if you are only catching 14 inch bass and can throw a small fly to do it then a 5-6 weight would be fine. You will be happy you have an 8 weight when you catch a 4 pounder and need to muscle it out of cover and keep it from going deep into brush, etc.

You need a fast action fly rod for bass flies and you won't find a much better deal than the Hobb's Creek setup.....but go 8 weight. BM61.

Just my personal experience, but an 8# is a lot of rod to start with, especially if you're targeting BG or BCP. A 5# will pull a 6-7# LMB out of a brush pile.

AL

B
B
If you are targeting BG I would use a 2 or 3 weight rod....7-9 ft. in length. If you are tossing flies that small you can use a longer 7 or 9 ft. leader.

A 5 weight might pull a 6-7# LMB out of a brush pile but it won't be able to cast big hairy flies very well.....maybe with a 2 ft. level leader you could give it a try.

Remember, a fly rod uses the weight of the line to get the fly out there, not the weight of the fly itself. Maybe my casting skills are lacking, but I can't cast a wet 6 inch long rabbit strip fly with dumbbell eyes for weight with a 5 weight rod.

And yes, when starting as a new flycaster, a 9 foot 5 or 6 weight rod is good to learn on. I don't think you want the action to be very fast however, something in a medium action is good. BM61.

A 5 weight might pull a 6-7# LMB out of a brush pile but it won't be able to cast big hairy flies very well.....maybe with a 2 ft. level leader you could give it a try...

Again, just my personal experience, but with the exception of Gamechangers, a fast tip 5# will throw most any fly by using a smooth Belgium cast. No tip shock when the heavier fly transitions from the back cast to the forward cast, and the transition and fly drop on the backcast are much more comforting to me when I don't have a big fly hook heading at the back of my head on the forward cast. A 5# would never be my first choice for heavy flies, but it will do in a crunch.

I really enjoy fly rod talk, and specifically targeting LMB and HSB would be a fun thread to start. My recommendations on this thread are based solely on the OP's targeted fish, and my almost daily experience fishing for CNBG.

AL

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

A 5 weight might pull a 6-7# LMB out of a brush pile but it won't be able to cast big hairy flies very well.....maybe with a 2 ft. level leader you could give it a try...

Again, just my personal experience, but with the exception of Gamechangers, a fast tip 5# will throw most any fly by using a smooth Belgium cast. No tip shock when the heavier fly transitions from the back cast to the forward cast, and the transition and fly drop on the backcast are much more comforting to me when I don't have a big fly hook heading at the back of my head on the forward cast. A 5# would never be my first choice for heavy flies, but it will do in a crunch.

I really enjoy fly rod talk, and specifically targeting LMB and HSB would be a fun thread to start. My recommendations on this thread are based solely on the OP's targeted fish, and my almost daily experience fishing for CNBG.

Holy mackerel - the above post made me realize just how little I know about fly fishing....might need to find a 'fly fishing terminology for dummies' book as well as a starter rod and reel.

Dale

I remember many afternoons with my dad in a 14' jonboat. Sculling along the river bank with flyrods and bumblebee popping bugs. Dropping those poppers beside a big cypress tree, or in an open hole in the pads and having bass come clean out of the water after them. Most weren't monsters but on a flyrod, there's as much finesse in the fight as there is in the delivery.

If I could only own one rod, it would definitely be a flyrod....or three!!

T
T
Haha! I laugh at myself because I own 4 different sized (3 to 8wt) fly rods and fish with most all of them but can't even carry on much of a conversation about all there is to know about fly fishing. lol I learned how to use one by using a dvd from BPS smile When I hook into a 4# lmb or 5# HSB with my lighter one I just hang on smile I have learned how to tie a few ugly looking fly's on cold rainy days.

Dale, let me know if you run across a dvd that explains on how to talk fly fishing jargon

Last edited by TGW1; 06/18/19 05:01 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
dlowrance, you can file most everything you've read into the brain closet, and just enjoy the fishing. It'll all come with time. If I may, I'd like to suggest most any Lefty Kreh youtube video as a good place to get a very clear image for proper fly casting. He's as smooth as silk, still amazed me at his advanced age. He passed away last year.

Mike, don't drink fly fishing Kool-Aide or you'll be hiding new fly rods from your wife like I do. I keep one of my 5#'s and 9#'s rigged in the shop with the hook tips cut off, and practice a little every day, especially if it's breezy outside. I throw out 4-5 hula hoops, and use those as targets. I'm addicted to the calmness of it all.

AL

Tracy, maybe we could talk about all things fly related at a get together this fall or next spring at your place? Just sayin'. I've got a big swamp, so nothing much appealing here.

AL

T
T
Big Swamp? lol Big fish from what I here smile And yep, anytime you want, just a call from you will set things up. smile Your cost to do a get together might be a couple of those floating plants (lilies I think?) you have. All kidding aside, sometimes I think of my pond as a 3 acre aquarium. After about 4 and a half years of this and that at the pond, today I see some good results. Just yesterday, I sat beside a feeder that cast a shadow onto the water where I saw some Hugh cnbg. I don't know how big they actually are because they are smart and hard to catch rod and reel. But as I look into the water I know they are the largest bg I have ever seen. Ha! they have been feed everyday for 4.5 yrs. So, maybe a long cast with a 2# leeder from your fly rod might just do the trick smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
OP Offline
Update - ended up going with the Orvis encounter package - 5 wt 9' setup. A little more than I was hoping to spend but hopefully it'll be one I can use for a while. On sale at Cabelas...

Dale

That sounds like a great rig, now it's fun time.

Jargon

Last edited by FireIsHot; 06/21/19 03:57 PM. Reason: ADD

AL

Orvis makes top of the line equipment. You'll be well pleased with that rig. Hope your first bite is a big'n. Guarantee the fish wont be only one thing hooked!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM