Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,124
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Angler8689, anthropic, jbird5986, jpsdad, Sunil, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 875 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Unless aerated or subject to near constant wind/wave action, in the summer once stratified, only about one-third of the pond is not toxic or devoid of dissolved oxygen for fish. Hartley's, like many fish farms may have a minimum order for deliveries, and suggest stocking plans that sell fish, not reach goals...

Fish don't like eating tadpoles...ever tasted one? laugh

C
C
No I have never tasted one but assumed they would eat them. Thank you for the information looks like I should maybe stock one pond with cc and fhm and the other with bg, redear, fhm, then bass the next year.

P
P
my name is pat(surprise!) im from Kansas I have no idea how big my family pond is, its an old limestone quarry that filled in it ranges from a foot deep in parts to about 15, it was stocked in the 70s with largemouth bass, a few species of sunfish and channel catfish. its been fished by family and family friends I don't know about bass but I was told that the catfish were overfished. ive fished for catfish for 3 or 4 years now and haven't caught a single one so I don't know if any are left, and there are shite tons of bass, some up to 4-5 pounds most under 1 pound, and lots and lots of bluegill with the average being about 3-5 inch length. id like to learn how to manage our fishery better, and my goal is to increase the size of bass and figure out if there are any ways to figure out if catfish are left. ive done a little bit of research but its helped only a bit. I did start killing any bass I was catching under 10 inches last spring and caught several bass over 3 or 4 pounds this year, a lot more than last year. I was refered to this site by a member of a facebook group. what do I do lol

theres a reason its called fishing, not catching
I
I
Hello; I just joined. My pond was dug about 6 months ago and i stocked it with fish in May. It is approximately 1 acre pond. I was very satisfied with my pond. However, we have had a very dry summer here and a guy has been irrigating his farm and i think is helping to make my pond get low. I have already had someone dig me a well to try help fill my pond with water. The well is approximately 60 feet deep. What kind of water pump would you suggest I purchase to try and put water back in my pond

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum.

What size is the well? That will determine what type of pump you get, also do you have any idea how many GPM it is capable of producing? The well driller should have an idea of the GPM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I
I
The well from my understanding is a deep well (its about 60 ft deep). My well man put down a 2 inch pipe which may need to be upgraded to a 3 or 4 inch pipe. I am not sure how much water it can produce. Right now, my dad hooked a sump pump to it and it runs most of the time. I am not sure the amount of water that it would produce. I did some looking and the Honda WH 20xkl high pressure pump seem to look like it might work. Do you have any suggestions.

Last edited by irlene; 08/27/15 09:20 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If he put a 2" pipe in, then it's most likely to be considered a "shallow well" and will use a pump that is mounted above ground level.

If it was a 4" pipe, then what is called a submersible pump can be used.

I don't know about shallow wells, but a 4" submersible pump can pump up to 100 gpm. The size and style of pump will be determined by the amount of water that is available and the "head", which is the distance that the water is below the ground level without any pumping going on, i.e. static level.

For instance, my 4" well is 66' deep. The water head is 13'. I have a 3/4 hp submersible well pump that is pumping 27 gpm. I can upgrade the pump to pump up to 100 gpm if I want.

My electric going to the well is 220v. That also has some determining factor on which pump you use.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Hello all forum users
I am Polish and I am looking for a contact on buying eggs musky and bringing into Polish. I have a private lake of 40 hectares, and I want to bring musky or a hybrid musky (tiger). I'm looking for sites in the states but the town can trace who can sell and send to Polish.

K
K
Hello everyone! I'm Kyle. I'm from Texas!!! (Yea Baby that state everyone knows!) An hour south of Dallas. I grew up as stock ponds for my swimming hole haha. I look forward to meeting and talking to you guys!! Holler at me anytime!!! Lets talk ponds, dirt, cattle, tractors, or whatever you want haha!!!

Last edited by esshup; 12/28/15 01:34 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Kyle, a big welcome to the forum! There's a lot of information here, and I think you will like the place.

I have to edit your profile and your posts, and here's why (It's posted in the PBF Guidelines):

Quite often, we'll see a new member (or existing members) selling their wares or services.
We only allow that of our approved advertisers. We are careful to make sure our advertisers are quality and meet our expectations.
If you have a product or service you'd like to promote on the forum, please send an email to info@pondboss.com and get permission before you promote or add information to your signature line or add a link to your website.
We'll protect our paying advertisers and people we know.
For our approved advertisers, you guys already know how to play.

If someone breaks this rule the moderators will delete all links and references to your business.

You can also call the Pond Boss Office and talk to them about getting listed in the Resource Guide. The office number is:
(903) 564-6144
(800) 687-6075

Until the moderators can check the Resource Guide and see that you are listed (that's how we check to see if someone can advertise on the forum), I will have to edit your signature line to conform to what Bob Lusk has set for forum rules.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome all to PB.

K
K
Why would you have a website tab if I can't put my website in my signature?

Originally Posted By: esshup
Kyle, a big welcome to the forum! There's a lot of information here, and I think you will like the place.

I have to edit your profile and your posts, and here's why (It's posted in the PBF Guidelines):

Quite often, we'll see a new member (or existing members) selling their wares or services.
We only allow that of our approved advertisers. We are careful to make sure our advertisers are quality and meet our expectations.
If you have a product or service you'd like to promote on the forum, please send an email to info@pondboss.com and get permission before you promote or add information to your signature line or add a link to your website.
We'll protect our paying advertisers and people we know.
For our approved advertisers, you guys already know how to play.

If someone breaks this rule the moderators will delete all links and references to your business.

You can also call the Pond Boss Office and talk to them about getting listed in the Resource Guide. The office number is:
(903) 564-6144
(800) 687-6075

Until the moderators can check the Resource Guide and see that you are listed (that's how we check to see if someone can advertise on the forum), I will have to edit your signature line to conform to what Bob Lusk has set for forum rules.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
My understanding is you can indeed add your website, once you're approved as an advertiser.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sparkplug is correct.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

K
K
Ok. My apologies

ksessions,
...welcome to Pond Boss...tons of good info and lots of good helpful folks here...when you have time, shoot us some pics of your pond...

...when in doubt...set the hook...
M
M
Hello all. Found this site while trying to learn about leaks

I'm Matt from West Michigan, Grand Rapids area. Trying to fulfill a lifelong dream of having my own pond. Goal would be recreational, swimming and wildlife support. Have great Whitetail and bird populations. Would like some fish as well, maybe bluegill.

Unfortunately, my land is not ideal. Working on around 1 acre excavated,bermed pond. (I'll get some pics added soon). Much of my soil is red clay but went thru a couple of gravel veins too. We lined the whole bottom with blue clay. Found a couple of large defects at the bottom. Fixed those and it holds water at about 4 ft mark. Can fill above this but comes down to the same line. I have inspected the perimeter at this level and cannot find anything obvious. That whole process has been over about 2-3 yrs.

Trying to figure out next step. Is it worth continuing a search for the whole edge or should I just treat the whole edge with something like Soilfloc or bentonite? What would be a reasonable next step? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum matt13!

Throw your question about the pond over into this section. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=26&page=1

It will get more visibility, and won't clutter up this welcome section with specific answers, making it easier for someone in the future with your problem to search for an answer.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

N
N
Hello... My name is Cindy. My fiance and I recently bought a house in NC on some beautiful property that just happened to have a pond on it. When we moved in the pond was a mess. Algae, stench, and what I learned was watermeal(after much research) covered the pond. My fiance travels alot for work so I became the one in charge of cleanup! I read up on treating a pond and clarifying water this past summer, and this spring it is actually under control(so far)! We saw no activity of fish last year but many turtles. So I stocked the pond last summer and the majority of the fish died the first day. It was 100 degrees out and the water was low so I imagine that didn't help the situation. So early this spring I stocked the pond with some hybrid bluegill, lm bass, minnows and 2 grass carp. We're hoping that the carp will help us naturally keep the weeds under control rather than treating with so many chemicals. The bass, blue gill and minnows are plentiful BUT we haven't seen the carp since the day they were introduced to the pond. We're just hoping they are gorging themselves in the deeper waters rather than the shallower waters. Any thoughts on the subject? Would love to hear someone say they're swimming deep and probably not dead or eaten. Look forward to learning lots in this forum!

P
P
Cindy welcome to the forum. Lots of help here. I would think the carp will do fine , and from what I hear you won't notice much out of them the first year. Good luck and some smart ones with all the brains will answer your question. Again welcome

Cindy,
Welcome to Pond Boss...tons of info and good helpful folks here. Post some pics of your pond when you have time...

...when in doubt...set the hook...
S
S
Hi! My name is Eric and I came upon this site while researching pond aeration online. Our IWLA chapter is purchasing a subsurface aeration system for our properties pond and this forum has been very helpful. I have been involved in pond management as an amateur for over 20 years. Between helping friends and neighbors with their ponds and helping non-profit and conservation organizations with their pond and fish issues, I've learned a lot, through both my mistakes and successes. I am looking forward to learning much more through networking and advice through this site as well.

J
J
Hi there. I'm Jennifer, and I'm new to this forum. I'm unsure how to start a forum question. I see where you can reply to others' questions, but not where to start my own. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!

Jennifer first, welcome to the PB Forum.

If you go to the forum homepage, you'll see a list of categories on the left side of the page. Just click on the category you want to add a post to, and at the top left of that page will be a small "New Topic" link. Just add your new post there.

AL

J
J
Hey everyone. Name's Kellerman. Just joined the forum because I finally own my own ponds (life-long dream) and am looking to learn how to improve and properly maintain them. I have a 6 acre and a 2 acre pond in Southern Illinois. They're currently stocked with largemouth, bluegill, redear, and few channels. I also got a few grass carp, goldfish, and a ton of bullheads swimming around. Anyway, just introducing myself. Thanks.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday