Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
dfrench442, BradleyBannister, JLB, AppsGuy, Chuck Wagon
16069 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16070 Members
36 Forums
36842 Topics
501506 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19882
Dave Davidson1 13911
Bill Cody 12851
Who's Online
18 registered (dfrench442, Pat Williamson, jbjbuild, emactxag, jackfoy, liquidsquid, FLX Muck Man, Romero14, Augie, blavis, jpws, dbals, Mike Whatley, Zep, DavidDunn, Custom 68, bcraley, Quarter Acre), 216 Guests and 207 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#493507 - 07/09/18 03:32 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Dam'dWaters Offline

Loc: Iowa
Sorry to hear about some of your challenges. I trust that you'll get everything under control soon.
BG, HBG, RES, LMB, YP

#493545 - 07/10/18 09:51 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

I hope so! The one thing that bothers me the most is missing out on two months of feeding my fish!

#495849 - 09/04/18 11:51 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

It has been a while since I've updated this because I really haven't done anything at the pond hahah - been busy around the house and working.

I've been sending my two oldest sons to the pond nearly every night to feed the fish but headed down myself over the weekend. We've had something like 10 inches of rain in the last week!

There are multiple trees down from super saturated ground and heavy straight line winds.

I have over a foot thick of new sediment (mostly sands) at the mouth of the primary creek! The outlet is running at full bore and the pond is still 8-10" above normal pool

The good news......I have HSB feeding!!!! I haven't seen these guys in so long but last night when I walked down to feed I saw a huge V heading to me from the far corner of the pond. It was a group of 10+ HSB that exploded on the surface once I tossed the first handful! I had a few LMB and a couple of BG mixed in during feeding 1.5lbs. The BH cleared up the rest.

some kind of bullrush has sprouted in the sediment

dead leaves are on the canopy of a fallen young oak - it is a shame and will be a royal pain to clear out

Two cottonwood branches that fell into the pond

there's a whole lot of suspended sediment in that water but it isn't bothering the fish or painted turtles any!

Edited by Matzilla (09/04/18 11:52 AM)

#498074 - 10/30/18 10:48 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Well I finally made it back down to the pond...I've had another pair of surgeries since last posting - one of which was a PCNL leaving a tube in my kidney. I had to break the rules and do some hiking to check on the pond lol

found the row boat sunk in the mud, full of water

my two oldest sons took turns baling it out

They were still in good spirits after everything was done lol

My creek is completely blown out from the rains we've had this year and has created a new sand peninsula completely blocking its outflow. I'm going to let nature run its course with that one! I'll probably toss down some rye seed in the spring.

I've got a nice algae bloom going which should lead to a productive winter for the fish so long as we don't get a ton of snow/rain.

I might have to sneak back down there for some fishing... wink

#498079 - 10/30/18 11:33 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
4CornersPuddle Offline

Loc: southwest Colorado
Mat, good to see you posting again. Hope your recoveries are going well.
And, Good On You for breaking those "rules". Rules are only guidelines anyway, right? It seems we must pay the closest attention to what our bodies are telling us within the overall framework of what the docs are trying to prescribe.
And the two young men prolly look happier than if they were staring at a screen, right?!

#498154 - 10/31/18 02:09 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Hahahah that's so true! I had to sneak down yesterday and fish out some bullhead and stunted crappie! Hopefully I'll be all better by the time ice hits - I've been thinking of doing an underwater camera survey of the pond to see if I can find my YP and HSB

My boys don't mind the outdoors but it isn't high on either one of their priorities. Myself, growing up, I loved to fish - maybe one day they will too.

#499545 - 12/10/18 10:19 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Winter has set in on the pond...the south 2/3 has 3" of ice which tapers down to 1" on the north 1/3

I have open water all long the inlet creek and marshy area with a decent amount of flow keeping water well oxygenated. Nice clear ice will allow sunlight to penetrate for quite some time so long as the snow and rain stay away lol water clarity is also excellent considering the wet fall we have had.

I noticed quite a bit of leafy, flat stemmed, or small pond weed bits floating under the ice, nice and green. Makes me wonder if the beavers are still around - I didn't see any sign of them, however.

I have my 6th surgery in 6 months scheduled for dec 27th so I'm going to have to go against orders and ice fish the pond this week hahah

Edited by Matzilla (12/10/18 10:24 AM)

#499547 - 12/10/18 10:59 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
snrub Offline

Loc: SE Kansas
Good luck with the fishing and be careful.

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

#499605 - 12/12/18 09:32 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

A good buddy and I pulled out a few bluegills and crappie and released a LMB. We stayed on the south side and fished 4" of nice clear ice that will sadly be melting off the rest of this week.

#499610 - 12/12/18 01:10 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
RStringer Offline

Loc: Parsons KS
Matzilla just getting all caught up on your story. Interesting read for sure. You have had a ruff 6 months for sure. Keep your sprits up those fish and boys need ya. I hope all goes well for ya.

#501205 - 01/25/19 11:48 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Bugs Offline

Loc: Denmark,WI
Hey Mat good update so know what's all in the pond last I know it was BG,BH,WE,YP,HSB,LMB,BC anything else are thoes all still presents r u still get many bullheads and the bluegills still stunted or haa that been solved

#503334 - 03/20/19 10:43 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Same fish....honestly if it was my whole owned pond and not part of the hoa - I would have killed it off and started a WE, SMB, RES and YP only pond.

Bluegill size is slowly improving, as are the black crappie. Still trying to harvest as many fish to thin the herd as possible on both accounts. Bullheads - I need to build a couple more traps and hit the pond hard this year....I don't mind their fry as they are excellent forage but the mature BH are just devastating the amount of available food.

I haven't been to the pond since December and am set to have a kidney removed next month - I probably wont be down there again until May

#503436 - 03/22/19 11:55 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
bigpullerman Offline

Loc: central Arkansas
Just read your story on your pond. You have great determination Matt. One person can make a difference with time and effort. I hope your medical problems all turn out good for you.
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe

#503438 - 03/23/19 07:39 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Dave Davidson1 Offline
Lunker

Loc: Hurst & Bowie, Texas
Best wishes matt.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

#507278 - 06/12/19 09:33 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Back at it!!!! I hit up the pond last night to check things over and wet a line. GBH circled and squawked a few times, snapping turtle lost all of her eggs to 'coons - for the 3rd year in a row. My feeder creek completely blew out with all of the rain we've had but the good news is all the thick and tall rye growing on the newly expanded peninsula. I also have a large deadfall cotton wood to deal with. Oh and the outlet is clogged up with a stack of dead wood.

The great news - my BG RW's are on the climb!!!! I caught over 25 BG's last night. Average lengths have increased +1-1.5" and the shoulders on those little guys are larger than they've ever been.
I am still culling the potato chip BG's and BH's.

Still no sign of YP or HSB. I caught a few LMB and saw several more cruising in the upper water column. Most fish are lurking in what is left of the curlyleaf stalks

#507502 - 06/16/19 11:16 AM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Fished the pond with an UL floating rapala yesterday. These first two speak to the aggressiveness of the BG/BCP - both were tossed on bank.

Very close to culling size for the goals of this pond.....I need her to chomp up some more BG, BH and BCP before she's done, however.

I need to clear the outlet today and might do some more fishing if time allows

#507608 - 06/17/19 01:23 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

hit it hard yesterday

cleared the little bit of debris from the outlet and put a solid effort into removing BH along with some potato chip BG and BCP

#507609 - 06/17/19 01:32 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Pat Williamson Online   content

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Mat did you catch all them on rod and reel? Thatís a bunch

Edited by Pat Williamson (06/17/19 01:33 PM)

#507689 - 06/18/19 03:35 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

Pat, sure did - took about 2hrs to catch those in the basket but most of that time was spent tooling around top water frogging bass lol! Once I start tossing around the slip float the BH are impossible to keep off the line.

I need to build another cloverleaf trap very soon

#507712 - 06/18/19 10:46 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Pat Williamson Online   content

Loc: Oakwood,Texas
Mat what you using for bait for the bullheads? Iím catching them on shad imitation jigs

#507755 - 06/19/19 01:14 PM Re: Restoring a bluegill pond [Re: Matzilla]
Matzilla Offline

I've caught them on darn near everything I've fished....mostly a slip bobber to a tungsten ice jig

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-jigs/heavy-metal-pro-series-tungsten-jigs/

size 4mm

then I use a small black twister tail - its the most durable bait that they will continue to hit over and over. I've used red worms, tube jigs, gulp, power bait, etc. and the super cheap twister tails hold up the best. They're attracted to the sound of the jig and bobber hitting the water thats for sure

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Today's Birthdays
4D Ranch, gunsmoke
Recent Posts
Help getting started
by jackfoy
5 minutes 47 seconds ago
It is an addiction!
by liquidsquid
6 minutes 59 seconds ago
Worst Pond Experience...
by Mike Whatley
57 minutes 19 seconds ago
Little help/insight
by Quarter Acre
Today at 09:39 AM
Overpopulated Bass, Few Bluegill and Giant Catfish
by SWMO 2
Today at 09:28 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Zep
Today at 09:10 AM
Cut plastic 55gal drum in half for aerator base?
by Funky
Today at 08:18 AM
New Excavated Pond Soon
by FLX Muck Man
Today at 06:50 AM
Any new information on a ponds carry capacity?
by TGW1
Today at 06:18 AM
Aeration, water temps, and oxygen.
by Dave Davidson1
Today at 05:23 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
pond view
Fishing Colorado...finally
Releasing a quick snack
Tadpoles
Biofilm Need Help
The fish are biting again