Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 778 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18
TJ PM sent

God has blessed us with this day, what we do with it is up to us.
S
sac Offline
S
teehjaeh57...I have a 2-acre pond out in Brenham, TX.

I have very sandy soil. When I dug the pond ~7 years ago, I clay lined the pond. Currently, I believe that I have a leak somewhere in my dam.

I am wondering if my situation would be a good application for the SoilFloc Polymer Sealant? What do you Think?

Thanks, Stacey.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hi Stacey:

PM sent!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
C
I'm very interested in learning more about this product.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
PM Sent!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: sac
teehjaeh57...I have a 2-acre pond out in Brenham, TX.

I have very sandy soil. When I dug the pond ~7 years ago, I clay lined the pond. Currently, I believe that I have a leak somewhere in my dam.

I am wondering if my situation would be a good application for the SoilFloc Polymer Sealant? What do you Think?

Thanks, Stacey.

I had a leak in my dam and had success spot treating SoilFloc. I'd have to go back and search my post, but I'm guessing I'm going on year 5 or so now and its still holding.

T
T
NEDOC, how many sacks of treatment did you use and how large an area did you cover during your treatment. Did you use the two sk treatment or did you also add bentonite along with the soil floc? I remember some post where adding bentonite along with the SF helped to seal.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Bentonite is only used if polymer is floating during application, it serves as sinking agent - but does nothing to help promote a seal otherwise. We have only used bentonite in response to floating polymer in 5% of projects, if that many. But it's something I mention "just in case" so the pond owner is aware and prepared to address float issues during application.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Originally Posted By: TGW1
NEDOC, how many sacks of treatment did you use and how large an area did you cover during your treatment. Did you use the two sk treatment or did you also add bentonite along with the soil floc? I remember some post where adding bentonite along with the SF helped to seal.

I'm just guessing on my area, as I'd have to go back to the thread where I put my info. I may do that later if I can find it. I believe it was about 12' x 100' area that I applied. I applied two units in that area. I was planning on treating the entire body of water but that seemed to do the job.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
S
S
I conversed with TJ on my leak issues. My 1/2 acre pond in central Alabama was dug last year for the second time. 1st time we hit rock or sandstone on one end and it would never hold water or fill for that matter. So I repositioned the pond and dug it more on the clay side. Some areas were sandy below the clay and eventually hit rock. We spread the clay capping the bottom and sides with a dozer. The pond is between 2 hills with a 20ft damn on the low side. The dam was build with the best clay I had and we dug it down about 5ft below the bottom of the pond before we built it up layer by layer of packed clay. The 2 hills was where all the clay was but the bottom of the valley is where most of the rock was located. We packed about 2ft of clay on the bottom but the way the bottom of the pond is formed, it all slopes to the dam. I waited of rain water to fill the pond which was a slow processes over 6 months. Rain was far between at 1st and the pond would eventually dry before the next rain. This caused all the watershed water to run down the valley against my dam. This fast running of water dug trenches in the bottom of my pond and because it wouldn't fill It kept washing out these trenches time and time again until my clay liner was gone. Eventually we started getting more rain with lots of rain fall. The pond filled to my over flow siphon system. But because of the washouts in my clay liner, I was losing water fast.
This is when I gave TJ a call. I told him what was going on. He asked many questions to make sure that there was no other problems that also needed to be addressed. He suggested I get a baseline of my water leakage and put a pipe with 1/2in increments on it to measure daily water lost. After a week I reported back to him that I was loosing 2in per day.
We were confident that it wasn't leaking through the dam and my biggest issue was down the center of the pond floor were the natural valley had washed out my clay liner. We estimated that area to be a 1/4 acre in size and he suggested I put out 6 units of soilfloc on it.
I waited until a good rain came and gave me almost full pool and also waited for an evening with no wind. I got 2 neighbors over to hold a rope across my pond. I had 3ft markers on each bank for them to move to after each pass as my son pulled the boat along the rope as I through out a scoop of each part of the soilfloc. After a few passes we decided it was easier to mix the 2 parts in a 5 gallon bucket. It seemed to have a better mixing affect as it hit the water and was a lot easier on me and the guys on the bank. You just have to make sure everything is staying dry because any moisture will cause it to gel once it's mixed. We continued to cover the area marker by marker but I found throwing the mix high and far made a more even coat once it hit the water. If I tried to throw it in my 3ft area, some would hit the water in a clump and it wouldn't mix well on the water. These white clumps crystalized and lasted for days on the water before it sunk. Throwing it high and far hit the water like a fine dust and made a good gel. So we decided to forget the 3ft grid pattern. I'd sling a scoop out as far as I could and work our way from bank to bank. You could see the thick gel floating on the water so you had a visual marker to throw to each pass. I covered the 1/4 acre area thinking it was very thick and it was. I couldn't have put any more on it because when I would throw more on top of the gel, it wouldn't get wet and stay white powder on top. It seemed like there was 6in of more of gel on the water and I covered my target area and only went through 3 of the 6 units. I didn't want to drag the boat through the gelled area to add more soilfloc because I was afraid of cutting gaps in the gel and not getting a good solid blanket on the bottom. So we called it a night.
The next morning It had all sank except the few white clumps where I put it too thick, but in a few days they sank. I was debating what I should do with the other 3 units. Should I cover the same area again super thick, or put a thinner layer over the whole 1/2 acre. It was windy for a few days so I had time to think about it and watch my water level. It seemed to work almost over night. With in a few days my pond went from loosing 2in a day to 1/2 an inch a day with only 1/2 the suggested application.
Now I was really confused. Did I seal the target area and have a small leak else where, or is my leak still in the target area. I decided I was gonna coat the whole pond with the remaining 3 units. I did it alone, paddling the boat starting at one end of the pond and working my way back, throwing it high and far. I mixed all my remaining units in 5 gallon buckets on the bank and took 5 at a time with me. It covered the pond well. It was thicker than I thought. Being that the whole pond was full of it, it seemed to level itself out uniformly as it pushed off the banks. In a few hours it sank.
Now my pond is losing water at a 1/4in or less daily. This stuff is pretty amazing. Thanks to TJ for all his help.

D
D
Question: Can SoilFloc lock down bottom muck? My plastic lined pond (1/10th acre), treated with bacteria and RapidClear floc, has collected very fine dusty looking (like limestone powder) leftover muck. Large catfish stir it up, but, with the floc it sinks fairly quickly. I'd like to have it solidified on the bottom, if possible.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: swampsnyper
I conversed with TJ on my leak issues. My 1/2 acre pond in central Alabama was dug last year for the second time. 1st time we hit rock or sandstone on one end and it would never hold water or fill for that matter. So I repositioned the pond and dug it more on the clay side. Some areas were sandy below the clay and eventually hit rock. We spread the clay capping the bottom and sides with a dozer. The pond is between 2 hills with a 20ft damn on the low side. The dam was build with the best clay I had and we dug it down about 5ft below the bottom of the pond before we built it up layer by layer of packed clay. The 2 hills was where all the clay was but the bottom of the valley is where most of the rock was located. We packed about 2ft of clay on the bottom but the way the bottom of the pond is formed, it all slopes to the dam. I waited of rain water to fill the pond which was a slow processes over 6 months. Rain was far between at 1st and the pond would eventually dry before the next rain. This caused all the watershed water to run down the valley against my dam. This fast running of water dug trenches in the bottom of my pond and because it wouldn't fill It kept washing out these trenches time and time again until my clay liner was gone. Eventually we started getting more rain with lots of rain fall. The pond filled to my over flow siphon system. But because of the washouts in my clay liner, I was losing water fast.
This is when I gave TJ a call. I told him what was going on. He asked many questions to make sure that there was no other problems that also needed to be addressed. He suggested I get a baseline of my water leakage and put a pipe with 1/2in increments on it to measure daily water lost. After a week I reported back to him that I was loosing 2in per day.
We were confident that it wasn't leaking through the dam and my biggest issue was down the center of the pond floor were the natural valley had washed out my clay liner. We estimated that area to be a 1/4 acre in size and he suggested I put out 6 units of soilfloc on it.
I waited until a good rain came and gave me almost full pool and also waited for an evening with no wind. I got 2 neighbors over to hold a rope across my pond. I had 3ft markers on each bank for them to move to after each pass as my son pulled the boat along the rope as I through out a scoop of each part of the soilfloc. After a few passes we decided it was easier to mix the 2 parts in a 5 gallon bucket. It seemed to have a better mixing affect as it hit the water and was a lot easier on me and the guys on the bank. You just have to make sure everything is staying dry because any moisture will cause it to gel once it's mixed. We continued to cover the area marker by marker but I found throwing the mix high and far made a more even coat once it hit the water. If I tried to throw it in my 3ft area, some would hit the water in a clump and it wouldn't mix well on the water. These white clumps crystalized and lasted for days on the water before it sunk. Throwing it high and far hit the water like a fine dust and made a good gel. So we decided to forget the 3ft grid pattern. I'd sling a scoop out as far as I could and work our way from bank to bank. You could see the thick gel floating on the water so you had a visual marker to throw to each pass. I covered the 1/4 acre area thinking it was very thick and it was. I couldn't have put any more on it because when I would throw more on top of the gel, it wouldn't get wet and stay white powder on top. It seemed like there was 6in of more of gel on the water and I covered my target area and only went through 3 of the 6 units. I didn't want to drag the boat through the gelled area to add more soilfloc because I was afraid of cutting gaps in the gel and not getting a good solid blanket on the bottom. So we called it a night.
The next morning It had all sank except the few white clumps where I put it too thick, but in a few days they sank. I was debating what I should do with the other 3 units. Should I cover the same area again super thick, or put a thinner layer over the whole 1/2 acre. It was windy for a few days so I had time to think about it and watch my water level. It seemed to work almost over night. With in a few days my pond went from loosing 2in a day to 1/2 an inch a day with only 1/2 the suggested application.
Now I was really confused. Did I seal the target area and have a small leak else where, or is my leak still in the target area. I decided I was gonna coat the whole pond with the remaining 3 units. I did it alone, paddling the boat starting at one end of the pond and working my way back, throwing it high and far. I mixed all my remaining units in 5 gallon buckets on the bank and took 5 at a time with me. It covered the pond well. It was thicker than I thought. Being that the whole pond was full of it, it seemed to level itself out uniformly as it pushed off the banks. In a few hours it sank.
Now my pond is losing water at a 1/4in or less daily. This stuff is pretty amazing. Thanks to TJ for all his help.

Jason that's a great summary of the application process - I've learned something new regarding your methods - I'm going to try that on my next project, thanks for sharing. 2" daily from 1/2 ac pond meant you were losing 27,000 gallons daily - now it's down to 1/4" at 3,375 gallons - and some of that is due to evaporation. From 2" daily vertical water loss to 1/4" is an amazing turnaround - happy for your results and am here to help anytime. Enjoyed working together - thanks for posting your results.

TJ

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DannyMac
Question: Can SoilFloc lock down bottom muck? My plastic lined pond (1/10th acre), treated with bacteria and RapidClear floc, has collected very fine dusty looking (like limestone powder) leftover muck. Large catfish stir it up, but, with the floc it sinks fairly quickly. I'd like to have it solidified on the bottom, if possible.

Ping me anytime at tj@hudlandmgmt.com - happy to help with some ideas, but don't think the polymer is a solution, rather target those catfish and consider removing.

C
C
Swampsnyper, thanks for taking the time to share and i agree with you, compared to your other options, soilfloc was a great invention!

I too found that applying one scoop of part A and B was too tedious. I actually used a hand grass seed spreader but loaded the spreader with 1 scoop A, then 1 scoop B, etc till full. I let the twirly at the bottom mix the two as it came out the bottom. It also gave a very nice even white coating on top of the water which then would slowly sink into a gel-y mess. By having a nice even coating on the water I didn't have to worry so much about pacing out the intervals on shore, I could see where I had been and just painted lanes of white powder as I went.

For me it helped to have a shore crew move me at a nice slow steady speed while I worked on cranking the seed spreader. I'm sure your idea of putting equal mixtures in a bucket, stirring thoroughly and then trying to throw it in a smooth high arc to get it to settle evenly would work well too.

Like you I agreed to buy more than I ended up needing. I did a fall application and then kept the rest dry and did it again the next spring. I ended up a year later doing a 3rd light application because I like how it works, and each application seemed to work a little bit more. I also wanted to focus a little more on the banks where occasionally we get high water and then wicking into the surrounding soil and grass.

Especially I notice the bottom in the shallows now instead of being loose sand is like a hard packed sand that you almost have to chisel through. If you try to take a stick and poke it into the sandy bottom it just won't go in. That tells me we have some pretty good congealing or sealing of the sediment particles.

Thanks for sharing!

A
A
That's quite a testimonial, SS. It's good to hear that folks are having positive results.

I got lucky the other day and found one leak that I was able to fix, at least temporarily, but it's looking like I'm going to need to floc, at least, the area where the dam was re-cored to stop a couple little seeps that don't have an obvious source.

T
T
I have a .10 acre pond that was leaking 2 1/8 inches a day. There was also visible water on the backside of the dam. I pump water from a seasonal creek so i filled the pond a few times to confirm the vertical water loss. I contacted TJ and he spent a lot of time going over my options and we decided to try one unit mostly along the dam, its a long c shaped dam on the side of a hill mostly caliche soil. The second day after soilfloc application the visible water flowing behind the dam stopped. In about 5 days the vertical water loss was down to 5/8 inches per day, which if you know what my part of the country looks like, is very good. This pond started out as just a source for road base for our driveway. Thanks to TJ for his time and help and the old-fashioned way of doing business.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I love helping the Pond Boss family save tons of $$$ and helping slow down stubborn leaks! Thanks for updating us on your project and I’m glad we are hanging onto that water. Now it’s time to enjoy your pond and make many memories!

L
Lunker
Lunker
L
Please contact me, I to have a leak problem.

A
A
We get a ton of frogs in our leaky pond. Once I've convinced myself to start spending some money I'm thinking either SoilFloc or drying the whole thing out and putting good clay down or maybe rubber. Does anyone have experience with non-fish wildlife on their SoilFloc'd ponds? Would frogs survive? It seems like they dig holes on the sides of the pond but I'm not sure. I'd like to keep the frogs around with basically the same population they have now (thousands! Little, tiny ones too!) but I'm afraid the SoilFloc may prohibit that? Also, how close can plants grow, or will plants grow at all into the SoilFloc? It seems like that would be counterproductive?

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Installing a 12-24" liner of high plasticity clay in 6" lifts is the best way to seal a pond, but it's also often cost prohibitive. Polymer is environmentally safe and in my experience does not impact wildlife [amphibians] or fish negatively. I've seen a few FHM dead following a polymer treatment in a windblown corner of a pond that had the polymer coat the gills and suffocate, but that's been my only personal experience of a kill event. I've never seen any impact to aquatic vegetation - I like to treat ponds when vegetation is dormant. Feel free to reach out anytime, happy to discuss clay liner install or polymer and help in any manner possible.

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

TJ

S
S
TJ, what would you think about using this on wet soil after drawdown?
I'm thinking of pulling down about 3ft vertical which will give me 6-9' of shoreline. I don't seem to have any serious leak but just ever so slightly more loss than evaporation alone. Livable but thought maybe it wouldn't hurt??
I only have 2 lifts with soda ash from 6ft up to shore. 3 lifts 6-8' and 4 from 8-12'.

Last edited by Snipe; 10/28/19 07:48 PM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I've performed dry application on my own pond this Summer and sealed a 3" daily leak completely by applying directly on the gravel seams we uncovered. We plated 12" of high plasticity clay in 4" lifts and compacted, but I think the polymer was the trick.

Provided you could raise the water level immediately after application I think it's worth trying. The benefit of dry application is the precision gained on measuring polymer amounts per 11 sq ft. I'd recommend using a drop spreader to ensure you're applying the correct volume. If I had a sidewall band to treat I'd go with dry application due to ease of application and precision of measurement. Winging it from a boat is messy and time consuming and requires 3 unlike dry application one can perform solo.

A
A
Thanks TJ! I'm very slow to react and make real (read expensive) decisions but I may reach out to you sometime!

Snort Coffee is a podcast about goofy stuff. Hope to add ponding to my list of hobbies.
D
D
TJ,
I am interested in hearing more about your dry ground application. I am seriously considering same for my .9 acre pond. It is almost dry and I intend to spend some time removing vegetation and compacting with my skid steer loader. Then I would like to try a dry application. The following video has me convinced it will work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eq8hgAM-wU

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
While I’ve used polymers with great success sealing ponds I harbor issues with that video - namely, they are FAR exceeding the recommended application amount to affect a seal. So while it looks compelling it's just not an accurate representation of the polymer ability. I can explain further - give me a call 402.730.4897 or drop on email anytime at tj@hudlandmgmt.com.

Page 13 of 18 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images