Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 713 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
How close to a pond is to close? I've been doing some research and haven't really gotten a clear answer. I have a 2.5 acre pond on 4.12 acres. The way my pond was constructed (before I owned it) it didn't leave that much land. The peace of land that is big enough for me to build on is plenty long enough but it's the width that I'm worried about. From pond to property line I'm dealing with about 112ft. The house plans we are looking st range from about 45-55 foot wide. I need to keep the house atleast 20-25 foot away from the property line for my drive way. And if we go with the house plan of 55 foot width that puts the edge of my house about 30ft away from my pond give or take some footage according to how things play out. Is that to close? The pond edge that it will be bordering has a long slope not a drop off and the land (that I can tell) is solid. I plan to do a bulk head with 2x6's and possibly some aluminum with some anchors under ground to make it solid for erosion. I just don't want to have any foundation issues later on down the road. Is there a something I can do myself to test water seapage? Dig a hole? Or anything I can do to prevent foundation before building besides a pad? Anything you guys have would be appreciated, do y'all have houses close to your pond?

P.s. Sorry for the long post I've been running myself crazy over it. Thanks

T
T
My lakehome is close to the waters edge, sometimes the waters edge is right up to the slab. The home is built on stilts with a post tension concrete slab. I think that is what is called, Hay, it was about 14 yrs ago when I built it and used an engineering company for recommendations.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
OP Offline
B
You think with the house sitting right on the slab won't be an issue? They have camps around here on stilts but I thought maybe the stilts house help the issue and mine will be sitting right on the slab

T
T
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question here but the stilts are only due to possible flooding here on Caddo Lake. The stilts are connected by "J" bolts that placed in the slab. If I remember correctly, the post tension slab was where cables were laid into the wet slab and then there was 60 thousand pounds applied to the slab through the cables. As far as the home being built on the slab, I don't think it would be any different than the stilts.

Last edited by TGW1; 06/13/19 08:26 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
M
M

Check your local planning and building codes. In my area you are not allowed to build within 50' of a pond or even a seasonal creek. You can get a variance here but that would be a couple more hoops to jump through and more $$ in permit fees.

D
D
Not sure if you will be on city sewer or will need a septic system. I wouldn't want my septic very close to the ponds edge. Just a thought.

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: blkandst
do y'all have houses close to your pond?

Yes!

We wanted our cabins as close to the water as safely possible.

Of course every project/pond/drainage/soil/terrain/pond water fluctuation is going to be different, each with its own set of challenges.

Before we built the cabins we had Mike Otto come out for advice and Mike suggested we have a guy come out and laser shoot the land to see how high the water could get before the water would start to run down the emergency run-off area so we could be absolutely sure the water would be flooding down the emergency spillway long before it ever came close to the cabin. We've had really high water this past year and the water never came close to flooding the cabin.

ps: It's not a bad idea to keep some of these in the barn just in case we see high water coming:
Empty Sand Bags for flooding

Fishing has never been about the fish....

B
OP Offline
B
From the calls I made and from other houses I've seen there are no codes that it has to be a certain distance away, the septic tank will be about 60 feet away from the pond. When it comes to flooding and run offs I'll never have and issue. The land doesn't hold water and I'm building up a pad about 2 feet.

I was aware that the stilts were for flooding purposes, I live in south Louisiana about 25 minute drive to the golf so all the camps that way are all on stilts. I just wasn't sure if stilts helps the foundation factor. Incase one were to sink it could be shimmed where as my slab if one part were to sink from pond seepage, water table, whatever it may be it'll crack the foundation. I can solve the erosion problem, and I don't have a flood problem. It's just the fact I don't know is the land a couple feet under the ground is water logged and soft from the pond being so close and end up cracking my foundation. I'm new to a pond and for sure new to getting a house built. So I have no idea. And all the home builders around here won't come out and look until I get pre approved

V
V
A reputable builder (if you can find one) will want a soil test if there is any question. Then a pad can be built or piers can be sunk as appropriate. Just remember, when we get a hurricane, water can rise pretty high even on flat land. Build as high as possible and with an eye to possible sources of runoff. Also, look at the flood maps to be sure you are in an area of "least concern".

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
What parish are you in?? I live in Calcasieu. The elevation code here is 13' above MSL. When I built my house, it was just after the flood of record on the Sabine, which put 6.25' of water in my yard and 4.5' in the house. We relocated and had to start from scratch. Dug a pond on my property to build up my pad. I told my pond/dirt guy to keep digging until he had the pad at least 15' elevation. Good thing I did because hurricane Harvey left 56" of water in my yard. 1.5 acres was reduced to 12' all around the house (barndomineum still under construction at the time) but the house stayed dry. If I had gone with the minimum requirement, I would've had 3 feet of water in the house.

My pond sits about 50' from my front door. Mechanical septic system is behind the house and was completely flooded during Harvey, but was no worst for wear afterward. Well sits about 50' from the pond but is 200' deep.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
OP Offline
B
Actually just talked to a guy at work about a soil sample. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg like I thought it would

My property is in iberia parish. The family I bought it from has been having it for about 150 years and it never flooded. They live across the road and right on the side of me. My property sits a heck of about higher than the land around me. A few miles of cane field would have to flood for me to flood. And my property has a big ditch in the front and back and got 2 smaller ones on each side that drains into those. I have a few low spots but other than them we can get a pour down all day and Not long after I'm try. I have 2 5" pint drains and 1 3" pumps out fast when it's high but once it gets to an inch or 2 above my full mark it takes about a day

B
B
You may not like this idea, but if you're willing to give up a little of the pond, maybe you can lower the water level some to give you more room.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Another option....drive pilings out in the pond and have your house partially over the water!!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
R
R
Theres another thread on where they damn up there pond and build then take the damn out. The water comes up on the foundation. Its a beautiful place.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
R
R
Look for "2009 project of the year award"

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, measure twice and cut once. I wish I did that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
blkandst started this post back in June 2019. It would be a good gesture if he would come back and show us his progress on the home build near his pond. Better yet would be to contact PBoss editor - Lusk and both of them create a magazine article about 'blkandst' building a house next to a pond. How come so many members come in, get some suggestions from experienced people, and get very valuable FREE advice and then the member disappears??

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/31/21 11:02 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
1 member likes this: Augie
T
T
This house is 100 yards from the water's edge. The property next door has a 6000sft log lodge right on the edge of the water and talking to the previous owners it was "snakey." The grounds were not as clean and manicured as Zep's though.

D
D
We built next to our pond. When doing out elevations I set our basement footing 6"s above our full pool height.
We love waking up looking over our pond every morning. If it's winter or summer it is such a calming effect on us. My wife and I spend so much time sitting at our pond and its just a short few steps down to it. We are not so close that it effects the air temp and it keeps the bugs from being around the house all the time.

Attached Images
IMG_2967.jpg FrontDoor.jpg masterBedroom.jpg Home.jpg perch.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 03/25/22 07:03 PM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The main problem that I have with the house close to the pond is the high number is aquatic insects that are attracted to the lights in the house. Then the spiders arrive to build webs and eat insects. I have a hard time keeping the windows clean.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/30/22 08:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
T
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
The main problem that I have with the house close to the pond is the high number is aquatic insects that are attracted to the lights in the house. Then the spiders arrive to build webs and eat insects. I have a hard time keeping the windows clean.

The dirt dobbers will build their mud nests everywhere....the upside to that is that they like eating black widow spiders. Don't think it matters how far from the water you are though.

Also note you are going to have to keep an eye out for snakes. My house is 100 yards from the pond and I see 1 or 2 a year. The property next door is right on their pond. They are always seeing them in the landscape near the house.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Tbar
The dirt dobbers will build their mud nests everywhere....Don't think it matters how far from the water you are though.Also note you are going to have to keep an eye out for snakes. My house is 100 yards from the .

Tbar "dirt dobbers" are everywhere in these parts. We even get a few in the house. We are unsure why we rarely see snakes. We built really close to the water and love it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
(aerial photo courtesy of highflyer drone)

https://thrivepestcontrol.com/articles/mud_daubers

Fishing has never been about the fish....

T
T
Originally Posted by Zep
Originally Posted by Tbar
The dirt dobbers will build their mud nests everywhere....Don't think it matters how far from the water you are though.Also note you are going to have to keep an eye out for snakes. My house is 100 yards from the .

Tbar "dirt dobbers" are everywhere in these parts. We even get a few in the house. We are unsure why we rarely see snakes. We built really close to the water and love it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
(aerial photo courtesy of highflyer drone)

https://thrivepestcontrol.com/articles/mud_daubers

Love your place Mark. I suspect it helps because your landscape is clean from stem to stern. grin

1 member likes this: Zep
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
I just looked up the word "picturesque" in the dictionary.

It had a photo of Zep's lake house next to the definition!

1 member likes this: Zep
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mark, I used to be loaded with snakes of all kinds. Then the pigs moved in and I have seen one or two snakes in the past ten years.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass