Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jim Scales, Ronald Williams, Jezreel, Fastback, IndianaMatt
16131 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16132 Members
36 Forums
36961 Topics
502858 Posts

Max Online: 1383 @ 08/09/19 04:50 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19920
Dave Davidson1 13985
Bill Cody 12889
Who's Online
4 registered (Shorty, Dave Davidson1, Ronald Williams, Clay N' Pray), 158 Guests and 145 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#505971 - 05/16/19 11:24 AM OHHH Carp!
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
I caught this guy yesterday out of my pond and I'm not very happy about it! I think it's a grass carp and I don't know how it got in there or if there are any more. I assume it hitchhiked in with the FHM's two years ago or maybe last years stocking of the game fish. I spent alot of time looking through the stocked fish to try and avoid this, but CARP happens, I guess.

The pond has been rather muddy this last winter, maybe there are more in there. I will be using my newly made clover leaf to assess the HBG recruitment. This will be handy to see if any young carp show up...does this kind of carp reproduce? Is it actually a grass carp?

Any suggestions on determining the predicament I'm in or management thereafter?

Attachments
carp.jpg (196 downloads)

Edited by Quarter Acre (05/16/19 02:13 PM)

#505972 - 05/16/19 11:32 AM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Quarter Acre]
Acoursey Offline

Loc: West Lafayette, IN
Definitely a grass carp. Probably came in from a contaminated fish stocking unless it was already in the pond (they can live a VERY long time) although that one isn't very big, looks to be around 2-3 years old. Most likely a triploid, but no guarantee on that.

Edited by Acoursey (05/16/19 11:32 AM)

#505978 - 05/16/19 12:44 PM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Quarter Acre]
Snipe Offline

Loc: NW Kansas
They look nearly Identical to GSH when small, even somewhat like a FHM. Most Triploids are quarantined in grow outs, Diploids were more likely to show up in nowhereville. Amurs will stir the heck out of the bottom if they run out of proper vegetation types.

#505987 - 05/16/19 02:12 PM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Quarter Acre]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Yikes, avoid that hatchery in the future!

#506000 - 05/16/19 03:36 PM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Quarter Acre]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
It's highly unlikely that it came up from the creek and the pond was drained from May until October when it was dugout and totally dried. Coming from the minnow hatchery makes the most sense as it would have given it two years to grow to the 16" mark (unless they can grow that much in a year). I would say it would be easier to overlook a carp baby in with the FHM's compared to the HBG, RES, and HSB.

At any rate, I plan to fish a bit more than I normally would to see if there are any more takers, maybe do some throw netting during feeding time, and keep an eye for YOY carp in the bait trap. Surely I didn't overlook very many of them. My biggest concern was them reproducing and apparently grass carp of the diploid variety can reproduce, but only in rivers.

Maybe, all is not lost! There for a minute I was pretty flipped out.

#506008 - 05/16/19 04:16 PM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Quarter Acre]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I suspect you've only got one or a few GC due to stocking contamination. Your guess on the growth rate seems correct to me also - let's hope that's the only one. I don't think you'll see any carp reproduction but you can keep trying to catch them and remove.

#506015 - 05/16/19 05:17 PM Re: OHHH Carp! [Re: Acoursey]
lmoore Offline
Lunker

Loc: NE Iowa
Originally Posted By: Acoursey
Definitely a grass carp. Probably came in from a contaminated fish stocking unless it was already in the pond (they can live a VERY long time) although that one isn't very big, looks to be around 2-3 years old. Most likely a triploid, but no guarantee on that.

No joke there. My parents have a pond with some left that were stocked somewhere between 1988 and 1994 (stocked by the original owner, unknown exactly when).

Today's Birthdays
damain, seawitch
Recent Posts
Best forage fish for Catfish
by Dave Davidson1
8 minutes 15 seconds ago
Muck Eating Bacteria Experiment
by Dave Davidson1
10 minutes 53 seconds ago
newbie to PB in the NE Ohio snowbelt--
by neopond
Today at 12:51 AM