Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505841 05/14/19 12:57 PM
K
KRM1985 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Was just thinking and curious of what the outcome would be of a Yellow Perch and Black Crappie only pond. Has anyone tried this? I searched a bit but did not find anything. Would the pond just over populate with both and eventually stunt out? How many years would that take to happen?

P
P
KRM 1985
How big is your pond?

K
KRM1985 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
My pond is 2 acres but I do not actually plan to try this. I was just more curious to see if anyone has tried such a combo or knows what would occur if these two were stocked alone

P
P
Mine is 6 ac. And I have BCP BC CC LMB BG shiners and some shad,ghost shrimp and gams. Pond is 5 years old and the LMB have populated more than the BCP have.... so far

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I would try the combo of Yellow Perch & Black Crappie only pond in a small pond that could be easily renovated because it is not likely to turn out as planned. We have to consider that crappie are more of an upper water column feeder and young YP are more oriented and inhabit the close to bottom areas as preferred weedy areas if available. The two areas that the two species frequent are not conducive to good predation of the other specie. One niche overlap does occur is when YP fry for a few weeks inhabit open water post hatch. My biggest concern is that YP would not be able to adequately control YOY crappie. Plus I would only use hybrid crappie in this test combination because HBCP produce fewer offspring.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/15/19 09:34 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I would try the combo of Yellow Perch & Black Crappie only pond in a small pond that could be easily renovated because it is not likely to turn out as planned. We have to consider that crappie are more of an upper water column feeder and young YP are more oriented and inhabit the close to bottom areas as preferred weedy areas if available. The two areas that the two species frequent are not conducive to good predation of the other specie. One niche overlap does occur is when YP fry for a few weeks inhabit open water post hatch. My biggest concern is that YP would not be able to adequately control YOY crappie.

What if the combination was amended to accept GSF as a third member? Aren't they infamous for eating other species young and reproducing quickly?

H
H
Interesting thought! I wonder if HSB added to the mix wouldn’t control yoy of both species in appropriate numbers????
Heppy

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
HSB would be a much more compatible fish with the YP-BCP combination. HSB could be added or harvested based on the predatory pressure needed to maintain the goal of balance.

S
S
HSB would be a much more compatible fish with the YP-BCP combination. HSB could be added or harvested based on the predatory pressure needed to maintain the goal of balance.

Dr. Cody, I've been getting more and more intrigued by the prospect of a BCP-YP combination given that these are such desirable food fish. In my own pond, I would like to avoid hybrids so that each species is its own self-sustaining population, which would rule out HSBs for me. I was wondering if -hear me out- longnose gar could be substituted as apex predator in a BCP-YP fishing pond, possibly with the addition of LMB.

The way I'm picturing it, the YP and BCP fry compete intensely for resources due to their similar spawn times, their fingerlings get thinned out by bass and young-medium sized gar, medium-large BCP, YP, and LMB get thinned out by the fully grown gar. Since I suspect gar might have a preference for fusiform fish, adding the bass prevents them from imbalancing the BCP-YP ratio too badly.

The result is a controlled, relatively balanced population of catchably-sized BCP and YP. The gar are prevented from breeding out of control through LMBs and cannibalism thinning out their fingerlings. Obviously this isn't a complete ecosystem in its own right, I was just wondering if I was on a workable track or not.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Without abundant macrophytes LMB will hammer YP population and likely become a population management issue down the road with stunting/over eating forage base. Per Cody, HSB are far better suited apex predator for your goals.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Per Cody, HSB are far better suited apex predator for your goals.

Are there any non-hybrids that might serve the role better than LMB even if HSB are hypothetically optimal?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The main concern with the YP-BCP is adequate control of the BCP. In St-abyssal's case he is considering LMB in the combination. However as TJ points out LMB will much favor YP as prey compared to BCP. What specie of gar are you considering? Are they small pond compatible. What about reproduction? IMO gar are not a good food fish and control of overabundance could be a problem.

S
S
What specie of gar are you considering?

I was thinking about Lepisosteus osseus.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images