Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
RVAJim, AGS1, CharlieK, RoboAaron, webgrandma
15950 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15950 Members
36 Forums
36629 Topics
498899 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19819
Dave Davidson1 13838
Bill Cody 12796
Who's Online
2 registered (BillJackson, AFpj), 60 Guests and 504 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#488131 - 04/03/18 02:09 PM Cattail Control
TexasFish Offline

Loc: Galveston Texas
I have a 3/4 acre deep pond in Galveston County, Texas. Its well stocked with blue and channel cats and copper nose bream. I also have a few LMB that arrived someway, not sure how. Along the banks of the pond I have cattails very thick and need to thin in certain areas. I have bought and used some chemical herbicide designed for ponds that want injure fish and it seems to work ok but was wondering if anyone has a better idea maybe mechanical, as to how to get rid of some of these cattails?

#488135 - 04/03/18 02:26 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Matzilla Offline

Loc: Iowa
like most tubers, you're better off digging them up than trying to treat with chemicals

#488136 - 04/03/18 04:04 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Bill D. Offline

Loc: Boone County Illinois
I use AquaNeat which is one of the herbicides recommended by the Illinois DNR for control of cattails. It's a pond safe glyphosate like Rodeo and AquaPro. Seems to work well for me at a 0.75% solution with a surfactant in a pump sprayer. I try to make sure I get it all covered, not just a few leaves on one side.

Edited by Bill D. (04/03/18 06:52 PM)

You'll never know what ya can catch unless you wet a line!

#488173 - 04/04/18 02:34 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: Bill D.]
TexasFish Offline

Loc: Galveston Texas
Thanks Bill, I have some herbicide my wife ordered and have used it last year and it works fine, the problem I have is I have so much to spray, so many cattails. My arm gives out by pumping the sprayer, I guess I'll pickup a 12 volt sprayer one of these days.
I was also thinking of building a rake like devise that would fit on my tractor, just haven't done it yet. I believe something like that could be built and should work.

#488184 - 04/04/18 06:22 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Bill D. Offline

I have a little 21 gallon 12V sprayer I pull behind our little tractor. It works great when you have a lot to spray.

#491206 - 06/03/18 09:58 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Bill D. Offline

Just closing the loop on this. My efforts with AquaNeat were 100% successful. I went from cattails invading 2/3 the perimeter of my puddle to gone. I am currently cattail free.

#498283 - 11/02/18 09:54 AM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Dick Faurot Offline
Lunker

Loc: Bixby, Ok
Just wondering where one could acquire AquaNeat. I have two ponds, biggest is 1 acre and am wanting to limit the spread of the existing cat tails. Right now, they are not a problem but will be within a few short years if something is not done and digging them out is certainly labor intensive.

#498286 - 11/02/18 11:02 AM Re: Cattail Control [Re: Dick Faurot]
Bill D. Offline

Originally Posted By: Dick Faurot
Just wondering where one could acquire AquaNeat. I have two ponds, biggest is 1 acre and am wanting to limit the spread of the existing cat tails. Right now, they are not a problem but will be within a few short years if something is not done and digging them out is certainly labor intensive.

A friend of mine in the landscape business got the AquaNeat for me at one of his suppliers. If you can't find AquaNeat, any pond safe 53.8% glyphosate herbicide, such as Rodeo, should do the same thing. I also added nonionic surfactant to the spray (I used Cygnet) which I think is important for good results.

Be sure to cover the entire plant. Anything that hasn't turned brown in two or three weeks should be sprayed again. Don't forget to remove and dispose of any seed heads you see.

I am happy to report that I am still cattail free!

Edited by Bill D. (11/02/18 11:09 AM)

#505822 - 05/13/19 11:35 PM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
jwetovick Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Iím planning on ordering rodeo for cattails. Anyone have any input on what stage in the plants life to spray them? Appears supposed to wait til the plant is mature so that means fall but was hoping to knock them down now instead of seeing them all summer. Any thoughts? Thanks

#505826 - 05/14/19 01:58 AM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
After a 2 second Google search, here's this:

Glyphosate is most effective when it is applied to young plants that are actively growing. After the plants are full grown, their tubers are also mature and the chemical cannot move from the leaves to the rhizomes to kill them. ... Dormant tubers, or tubers that are unattached to the foliage you spray, will not be killed.

#505830 - 05/14/19 05:38 AM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
We always tried to hit our cattails as soon as they started to green up, spraying both sides of the trail out to open water (about 100 yards) and it would keep the path open all summer.

#505834 - 05/14/19 10:20 AM Re: Cattail Control [Re: TexasFish]
jwetovick Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I decided to go with Roundup Max Concentrate. Local price for 2.5gal was $55 and it's 51% gly compared to many generics of 41%. It also has a surfactant in it. Going to go spray in the coming days. Maybe i will able to be included in the billions of dollars lawsuit smile If anyone would like to share what mixture you used for cattails I'd sure be interested. Thanks

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Posts
Green Monster underwater light
by BillJackson
0 seconds ago
Soil Tests
by AFpj
Today at 02:26 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by John Fitzgerald
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
My ponds seemed fishless at first....
by Redonthehead
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
On a 'U' shaped pond, do you core trench
by SWMO 2
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Overpopulated Bass, Few Bluegill and Giant Catfish
by SWMO 2
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Raising Black Soldier Fly Larva