Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
RVAJim, AGS1, CharlieK, RoboAaron, webgrandma
15950 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15951 Members
36 Forums
36629 Topics
498900 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19819
Dave Davidson1 13838
Bill Cody 12796
Who's Online
2 registered (BillJackson, AFpj), 62 Guests and 505 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#505420 - 05/07/19 09:38 AM Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant?
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
I have ordered a few Water Hyacinths for this season to try out and noticed another floating type of plant that is said to be the next best alternative should the Hyacinths (and water lettuce) be illegal in your region. I hope to take up some nutrients with these floating plants contained in floating hoops of some sort.

I ordered a couple of them, but wanted to ask the group if their was any experiences with this plant to be shared before I "set them free" in the pond? There's not much out there on the web other than they do not survive the winters this far north and appear to resemble the Hyacinths with respect to general mannerisms.

Aeschynomene fluitans (Botswana Wonder or Large Leaf Sensitive Plant)...

Attachments
Aeschynomene-fluitans.jpg (107 downloads)

#505428 - 05/07/19 10:50 AM Re: Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant? [Re: Quarter Acre]
Bill D. Offline

Loc: Boone County Illinois
QA,

I've had it growing in a big patch on the South side of my pond the last 3 years. It really has never gone into the water that far. It may be because, this far north, it dies out each year and comes back from seed again in the spring. I suspect the plants would get larger and more aggressive if they did not die every year. It is different than small leaf sensitive plant in that the leaves don't instantly close up when you touch it.

Hope that helps,

Bill D.

Edited by Bill D. (05/07/19 11:08 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification

You'll never know what ya can catch unless you wet a line!

#505434 - 05/07/19 12:33 PM Re: Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant? [Re: Quarter Acre]
Quarter Acre Offline

So Bill, It actually comes back from the soils that far north in Illinois???

I may have misunderstood my web research. Hmmm?

#505445 - 05/07/19 02:31 PM Re: Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant? [Re: Quarter Acre]
Bill D. Offline

As far as I can tell, it re-seeds itself. It behaves like an annual here. Maybe in warmer climates it's a perennial? I like it around the pond. Has tons of yellow flowers and crowds out most everything else.

#505449 - 05/07/19 03:47 PM Re: Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant? [Re: Quarter Acre]
Quarter Acre Offline

Bill, You stated that it grows from the un-submerged banks (if I may paraphrase) and I believe that the Aeschynomene fluitans actually is a floating plant, not one that grows from the soil.

There are several plants in the Aeschynomene genus that look very similar. I even have some that look like it growing in some of my meadows far from water. I am thinking that we are talking about different plants that look and act very much the same (with the exception of where the roots tend to reside).

According to some of my web reading, the Aeschynomene fluitans comes from places like Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Namibia, Tanzania, and Zambia (all south Africa).

Don't get me wrong, I don't know diddly about this plant just what little I have found on the web and truly appreciate any and all conversation on the subject. I am going to do some more digging for web info on these guys and see if I can gain that comfort level of putting them in the pond.

#505459 - 05/07/19 04:51 PM Re: Botswana Wonder - Anybody know this plant? [Re: Quarter Acre]
Bill D. Offline

QA,

I'm not a plant expert either! smile I suspect you're right that it is probably a different plant that just looks similar. If mine comes back again this year, I'll try to remember to post a pic.

Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Posts
Green Monster underwater light
by BillJackson
9 minutes 2 seconds ago
Soil Tests
by AFpj
Today at 02:26 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
New Pond Construction In Jefferson Co, Mo.
by John Fitzgerald
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
My ponds seemed fishless at first....
by Redonthehead
Yesterday at 10:47 PM
On a 'U' shaped pond, do you core trench
by SWMO 2
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Overpopulated Bass, Few Bluegill and Giant Catfish
by SWMO 2
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Raising Black Soldier Fly Larva