Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W), 765 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Small pond. 40' x 15' x 4-6' depending on water coming in from reservoir overflow. I keep Koi, Goldfish, Fathead minnows, and whatever flushes in from the reservoir.
Would love to know if there are other small pond owners in this forum?
Can't wait to learn tons here.

Welcome to posting, Dina. Several posters on the forum have mini ponds. Often the ponds are sources of forage fish for the owners' larger BOWs. Some are for experimenting.
Tell us more about your pond experiences, ask some questions; you'll get sound advice and prolly some laughs.
There are no dumb questions on this site; we're all in this together and are a rather respectful bunch. We even talk about chainsaws, cats, maple syrup, and lots of other non pond stuff.
Any pics you could share of your fish or pond or land?
Jump in and have fun.

Welcome to PBF Dina! Looking forward to hearing about your pond!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It's been a while, but it sounds like you are a nice bunch, so I thought I'd try it out.

My pond is a natural flow through pond (I've learned that new term) and the water runs pretty constantly through it for about 10 months out of the year. We receive groundwater and runoff from a nearby reservoir (or so we are told). There is an exit drain that carries the extra water (my estimation is thousands of gallons a day)to the sewer system.

My question is about a sediment trap. I will try to figure out how to send a video, but the water drops from a large pipe onto a flat area and I'm thinking that a recessed bed, lined somehow, to catch the sediment might be a good idea and then we could empty it when it fills up. Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Are you worried about the sediments getting into the following city system?

I would bet that your "sewer system" is actually just rain water drainage that dumps out in a nearby ditch/creek.

If you think about it...your pond is actually a "sediment trap". When you slow the water down by making a wide deep hole in the path of the water flow, the heavier particles (sediments) have the opportunity to drop out. If you can't slow the flow down substantially with the sediment trap's design (read potentially as big as your pond) the water speed and turbulence will keep the sediments suspended and they will flow on downstream.

Without slowing the water's velocity way down to allow the dropout of debris, you would have to design a filter system which translates to a lot of money and maintenance.

Fish on!,
Noel
D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
So we were told by the city that the pond drains to the sewer. Wish I could figure out how to attach a photo or video but here's the setup:
A huge pipe that broke, brings the water and drops it onto a long narrow flat area about 3' wide x about 20' long. That is where I'd put the sediment trap. At the end of that 20' long area, there's a drop into the water. Sometimes we're able to build it up to make a good waterfall, but if the water level is high, the water drops right into the pond, and sediment starts to gather right below that drop. I actually see very little sediment going in the path of the exit drain, which is about 40' from where all the sediment sits at the drop in the pond.

A picture or two would be very good...

Check this thread out...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476220&Board=20

RC51 gives a 10 step method for posting pics through PB about 5 posts down on the second page.

This works well IF you are posting from a desktop computer. Posting from a phone is beyond me, but you are half way there since you have managed getting the PB photo link "Pond.PNG" to show up in your original post.

If you use Chrome, you can open the photo that was linked in the post and copy the address from the address bar rather than right clicking to go to properties. This applies to RC's Step #8.

It seems cumbersome at first, but after a few successful tries it gets to be second nature.

Let us know if you get stumped.

Fish on!,
Noel
D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Okay, I've really tried to follow the directions to get this picture online, but I think I've failed.
This is all I came up with!
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.ph...41ba1c&f=50

Attached Images
pondpano.JPG
D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
OH! SURPRISE! It worked!
So to the right is where the thousands of gallons of water come in each day for about 10 months out of the year and that's where I thought we should put a sediment trap. This way the sediment would fall in there and the water would continue to drop into the pond, with a small waterfall that we're working on. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for any help.

R
R
How low or dry does your pond get in the dry season?

D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Noel, thanks so much for that great link to the instructions!

D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It gets very high and then jumps up to the exit drain. It never empties as the water table is there, but it does get very low. Curious why you ask?

R
R
Just wondering if it was originally built as a settlement pond for the sewer system.

D
Dina Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Okay, so here's the story. There are two pipes. One was to bring rising water from "swamp" or low point, into the small brook, which was always there. In the past 20 years, another large pipe, that would bring groundwater and overflow to the Long Island Sound, broke, exactly at our spot, and now we have all that water coming into our "brook" which is not longer a brook. So the brook was originally to catch overflow water, but now needs to manage the tremendous amount of water that comes in via the broken pipe.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images