Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Chuck Wagon, FLX Muck Man, sherylsb, huyfx, Huntzman
16065 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16066 Members
36 Forums
36836 Topics
501406 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19882
Dave Davidson1 13906
Bill Cody 12851
Who's Online
17 registered (Vortex 4, Quarter Acre, Custom 68, roundy, Theo Gallus, azteca, Augie, NEDOC, Snipe, Zep, Redonthehead, DrLuke, Scott E, Matzilla, tommyt, Bing, RStringer), 244 Guests and 229 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#504743 - 04/22/19 07:54 PM Should I turn off daytime aeration?
bigbambo Offline

Loc: ohio
Hello, my 3/4 acre pond in Northern Ohio has WE, YP, RES, GSH, Bluntnose & Spotfin minnows. Built in the fall of 09, I have never turned off my windmill aerator. I've read a few post that promote evening aeration during the summer and would like to know the parameters of this act if someone cares to reply. Thanks

#504744 - 04/22/19 07:59 PM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
DrLuke Online   content

Loc: Grinnell, IA
Do you have a way of measuring the water temp in your pond? Daytime aeration in warm weather can raise the average temp of your pond, and cooler water preferring species like WE and YP can get stressed (or potentially die) in too warm of water.

#504747 - 04/22/19 09:19 PM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
How deep is your pond, and how deep is your deep diffuser? You can run aeration during the heat of summer if you are able to maintain a thermocline, where cooler, less oxygenated water exists. They cant live there, but they can escape the heat temporarily.

Get yourself a pool thermometer and a removable weight. Take readings from about 16" deep, again at half the depth of the pond and then at the deepest area. If you're finding a significant variance in temps from top to bottom, then you may be ok, if that coolest water is conducive to WE.

If your summer diffuser is set on the bottom at depth, you may need to elevate it on a platform, relocate it shallower, or you may have to switch to running an early morning schedule (4am-10am). That too depends on how long it takes to turn your pond over with one diffuser.

#504760 - 04/23/19 09:11 AM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
bigbambo Offline

When dug, it was 15' to 16' deep and I need to stick it again. The diffuser is set in 9' of water at one end. I will follow your instructions Mike W and thanks. I have a pool and in 2012 & 13 I tied the used ones off my dock and in less than a month all marking were wiped clean.

#504762 - 04/23/19 10:14 AM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
Mike Whatley Offline

With your diffuser set in 9 feet, there's a good possibility that you may have a thermocline in the deepest part of the pond, but you wont know until you get some graduated temp readings top to bottom. A pool thermometer, railroad spike and some nylon cord work well. You can adjust the depth by setting the weight on the bottom and adjust the depth of the thermometer to the depth you want to test. I would check every foot until you find the depth where the greatest temp change occurs. That's how deep your transition is. But that change may be minimal and may not leave your fish much area to escaped. Regardless, you may still need to change run times to early morning to keep from overheating the pond.

Again, they wont be able to live down there, but they can escape the warmer water temps for a short period.

#504826 - 04/24/19 10:02 AM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
bigbambo Offline

...should my diffuser be in the deepest area during the summer and then start temp readings?

#504829 - 04/24/19 10:15 AM Re: Should I turn off daytime aeration? [Re: bigbambo]
Mike Whatley Offline

I'd leave it where it is and take some readings first. See if you have a thermocline in your deepest area they can retreat to. If you dont have a thermocline, then you can adjust run schedule and duration accordingly.

Today's Birthdays
JJJJ, Rupert
Recent Posts
Submerged or Emergent "Hanging Baskets" Idea
by Mike Whatley
Today at 12:40 PM
Cut plastic 55gal drum in half for aerator base?
by Quarter Acre
Today at 12:17 PM
Bob Lusk's Call For Comments on PBMag Changes
by mudhole
Today at 12:06 PM
New Excavated Pond Soon
by FLX Muck Man
Today at 11:27 AM
Tiger Muskie
by NEDOC
Today at 09:59 AM
Blue/Green "Chunks" floating in pond