Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,124
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
14 members (Angler8689, anthropic, jbird5986, jpsdad, Sunil, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 875 guests, and 194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 51 of 183 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 182 183
Lunker
Lunker
I have been culling large golden shiners from my pond, I have pulled 73 out in the last week between 5-1/2" to 10-1/2", lots of 7-9". The Nebraska state record GSH is listed at 14 oz, 11" long.

R
R
How are you culling the shiners?

Added 7 brush piles to the long, shallow finger of my pond yesterday. Used dried honeysuckle branches, and dead/dying pine branches and tree tops. Placed them in 2-4 feet of water and anchored with old metal dock post pieces (used jumbo sized zip ties to wrap around the end of the brach bundles, then added one more zip tie as a post connector). Put piles of pea gravel between the branch piles in 1-3 feet of water. I'm hoping to boost the BG production a bit, to ensure my LMB forage chain remains well stocked. I used plastic tubs and my little JD 1025R with a bucket load of gravel. Dumped the gravel in the tubs sitting on the edge of the pond, then put on chest waders and 'kinda' floated them out where I wanted and dumped them. About 4 totes full per bucket; 6 bucket fulls total. Think I'll skip the gym...this month. :-)

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: roundy

Rod and reel, 1/80th oz micro jig tipped with a small piece of nightcrawler and a weighted bobber. The weighted bobber is a casting bubble filled 60% with water.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Originally Posted By: roundy

Rod and reel, 1/80th oz micro jig tipped with a small piece of nightcrawler and a weighted bobber. The weighted bobber is a casting bubble filled 60% with water.

Shorty
Where do you find micro jigs that small?

Lunker
Lunker
Bass Pro or Cabela's, you will find them in the fly tying section as they are mostly used for steelhead flys. Wapsi Super jig heads are my favorite as they have a super strong hook that will land an 18-19" SMB. I also use Danielson micro jigs and the standard Wapsi micro jigs but they are not as near as strong, but the hook sizes are a slightly smaller than the Wapsi Super jig head version. 1/80th oz and 1/64th oz are the two sizes I prefer. This is the same set up I use for catching RES and BG, they are great for catching any type of sunfish.

Micro jig heads are not easy to find if you don't know where to look for them. Here are a couple of places that I found on line that stock them, no endorsement as I don't have any experience ordering from either one of them. When I was in Bass Pro in Council Bluffs a month ago and they were packaged under the Cabela's Brand, not Wapsi.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Wapsi-Super-Jig-Heads

http://www.worleybuggerflyco.com/WAPSI/BubbaJigHooks/BubbaSuperJigHeads.htm

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Yo Steve:

I can give those GSH a home - gimme a holler if you can collect I'll pick em up and grow my WE!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
Added 7 brush piles to the long, shallow finger of my pond yesterday. Used dried honeysuckle branches, and dead/dying pine branches and tree tops. Placed them in 2-4 feet of water and anchored with old metal dock post pieces (used jumbo sized zip ties to wrap around the end of the brach bundles, then added one more zip tie as a post connector). Put piles of pea gravel between the branch piles in 1-3 feet of water. I'm hoping to boost the BG production a bit, to ensure my LMB forage chain remains well stocked. I used plastic tubs and my little JD 1025R with a bucket load of gravel. Dumped the gravel in the tubs sitting on the edge of the pond, then put on chest waders and 'kinda' floated them out where I wanted and dumped them. About 4 totes full per bucket; 6 bucket fulls total. Think I'll skip the gym...this month. :-)

There is nothing so irritating as a good example.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
I did not add the gravel the first yr I built the 9 brush piles, he suggested 5, along the shoreline. And even without the gravel I had a boom of 3" cnbg about 90 days later. I will never forget on how many I saw along the shoreline all over the pond. Brush piles were suggested by Todd Overton along with adding 25 lbs of fhm's. I had no vegetation and he told me the minnows would take the pressure off the cnbg fry. I refresh the brush piles each yr since along with some FHMs. I think you will see a difference. I also saw a difference in how many GBH showed up daily for awhile.

I saw my first swim up fry this week that I have ever seen in the pond. I am pretty sure they were lmb because a 15" lmb was swimming under one of the two schools of fry that I saw. Lots and lots of fry about an eighth to a qtr inch long swimming together in schools and they were in the area where the lmb nest were.

Last edited by TGW1; 04/18/19 02:27 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
A
Online Content
A
Tracy, sounds like you've really straightened things out in your BOW! Exciting stuff.

My place is looking better, too. Loads of tiny/small/medium/large CNBG for the LMB to feast on as they grow. Biggest difference are the pond weeds that now line most of the shore, giving shelter to YOY. When electrosurveyed last fall, huge numbers of minuscule CNBG were in the weeds.

Last edited by anthropic; 04/18/19 02:51 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Originally Posted By: TGW1
I did not add the gravel the first yr I built the 9 brush piles, he suggested 5, along the shoreline. And even without the gravel I had a boom of 3" cnbg about 90 days later. I will never forget on how many I saw along the shoreline all over the pond. Brush piles were suggested by Todd Overton along with adding 25 lbs of fhm's. I had no vegetation and he told me the minnows would take the pressure off the cnbg fry. I refresh the brush piles each yr since along with some FHMs. I think you will see a difference. I also saw a difference in how many GBH showed up daily for awhile.

I saw my first swim up fry this week that I have ever seen in the pond. I am pretty sure they were lmb because a 15" lmb was swimming under one of the two schools of fry that I saw. Lots and lots of fry about an eighth to a qtr inch long swimming together in schools and they were in the area where the lmb nest were.

I have debated adding any structure to boost BG production, but since stocking LMB in the fall of 2017, and seeing that class reach 14-16 inches and near 100% WR, I worry I won't be able to keep them in proper groceries to maintain that growth. So, I decided to help out the BG production (in theory). We shall see if my pond, the BG (and Mother Nature) are agreeable with 'the plan'.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Yo Steve:

I can give those GSH a home - gimme a holler if you can collect I'll pick em up and grow my WE!

Now you tell me, I have been tossing them up on the bank. I might look into getting a cast net, it would be more efficient than going after them with a rod and reel. If I do I'll get a hold of you, I have a cage that I can put them in and I can hold them for you. Last October I took out 120+ large GSH, so far another 79 in the last week. My pond is only a 1/4 acre and the large size GSH numbers might explain why my SMB recruitment has been low over the last several years.

Lunker
Lunker
I have tanks and will travel, Stevo!

Check these out:

These are great fathead, shiner, sunfish traps - set and forget it, don't need to bait, just wait. I set mine this week and in 24 hours had over 100 sunfish 2-5" long collected. Leave a dozen or so in the trap and it will continue attracting/trapping others much more quickly than an empty trap. One of the best investments I've ever made - way easier and more effective than my cast nets and cylinder minnow traps and again, no baiting required.

http://ktraps.com/b-minnow-traps.html

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
T
Frank, a learning curve from day one. One thing that sticks out to me, is how Mother Nature can and will kick my butt as I approach my pond goals. Now into 4.5 yrs of pond management. Seems like I learn something most every week. And I can't say enough when it comes to all the help from this forum and the people that are here for HELP when needed. One needs to be flexible for sure at my pond if your going to get to the goals I set in the beginning of all this. And I know you have experienced some of all THIS.

Last edited by TGW1; 04/19/19 07:45 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I have tanks and will travel, Stevo!

Check these out:

These are great fathead, shiner, sunfish traps - set and forget it, don't need to bait, just wait. I set mine this week and in 24 hours had over 100 sunfish 2-5" long collected. Leave a dozen or so in the trap and it will continue attracting/trapping others much more quickly than an empty trap. One of the best investments I've ever made - way easier and more effective than my cast nets and cylinder minnow traps and again, no baiting required.

http://ktraps.com/b-minnow-traps.html

How in the world do they work? Maybe you have a better picture of them but from the picture on the web page I can see no place where fish can get in? is the opening really just an inch wide at the inside of the cloverleaf? How does a 5" sunfish get in there?

W
W
Some fish are pretty narrow...

Today I dressed out 25 female BG (many thanks to ewest for his insight on sex identification). Every one was female and row laden in different stages.

As I was cleaning them, I found it exciting to find nearly every one of them had Black Soldier Fly Larva in their stomachs. So apparently they're letting them sink before eating them, because I seldom see them feed on the surface.

13 of them found their way into some hot oil with fries, hush puppies and cole slaw. They weren't the biggest BG by any means, but they sure did taste good.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
Today I dressed out 25 female BG (many thanks to ewest for his insight on sex identification). Every one was female and row laden in different stages.

As I was cleaning them, I found it exciting to find nearly every one of them had Black Soldier Fly Larva in their stomachs. So apparently they're letting them sink before eating them, because I seldom see them feed on the surface.

13 of them found their way into some hot oil with fries, hush puppies and cole slaw. They weren't the biggest BG by any means, but they sure did taste good.

Sounds great! Smart to not harvest the largest BG, too.

Last edited by anthropic; 04/19/19 10:34 PM.

Happiness is a full pond. (When you are plagued by a small leak, and off and on again drought since building.) One of the few times the wind was actually stirring up our pond. (See the ripples, it’s usually very calm)

Unhappiness is too much FA. I’ve not had much in almost 5 years. Now I can’t throw a luer out without it getting covered with green slime. To be honest I’ve always ignored all the info about FA has I didyhave any. Raked out a ton yesterday, but it seems endless. Why so much this year? Five feet of exposed bank that’s now under water? (Covered in tall weeds) Or, being under ice for six weeks? I’m reluctant to toss in chemicals, but I’ve got to do something. One other sad note, after raking out a ton of FA and leaves, I didn’t find one glass shrimp. I guess they got cleaned out when the water was so low, and their cover was non existent..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Lunker
Lunker
Which size are you using? 15"H, 18"H,or 24"H?

Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley

Sounds great! Smart to not harvest the largest BG, too.

Since my pond is small, I know I cant have a lot of big bass, so I'm managing it for bigger BG. I caught several bulls in the 7-8" range while collecting these and returned them all to the pond. Even hooked one twice. My line broke the first time and the jig was swallowed. Noticed a piece of line when I caught him and cut it off before returning him. Didn't seem to phase him having a jig in his throat.

I returned every GSF as well, since they are helping to keep fry numbers in check. Even caught a couple of 11" BH on the BSFL. Was hoping to stumble on a RES....but no such luck...yet!

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Wife rescued a 7-8" LCS from the pipe outlet of the YP/SMB pond and moved to new pond. Had added smaller ones last year. This new pond has very little plant life so far.

Still in pursuit of as many female BG as I can get out of the pond, I landed this handsome stud this afternoon. 8.25" and serious shoulders. My little mutt pond is really coming into its own.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/WGkBfkL4zxcLwMd1A[/img]

W
W
Nice fish! Mike check your spelling on your signature. Epitome, not epidomy

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Can anyone identify what these two fish are that my wife caught tonight?

I told her I thought #1 was a bluegill and #2 a sunfish?

Some guy on Facebook is telling her they are both for sure "perch", but I don't believe we have ever stocked perch.

Fish #1

Fish #2

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Page 51 of 183 1 2 49 50 51 52 53 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday