Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,952
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
11 members (LeighAnn, Bobbss, Jambi, catscratch, jludwig, John Folchetti, shores41, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, phinfan, Zep), 1,132 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504583 04/19/19 02:05 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hello everyone. Have a 1.5acre old (at least 70yrs)sand pit in nebraska. Main portion is 12-14ft deep. Over half of the edges are covered in cattails. I know there are carp unfortunately. My question is, most pits around here are pretty darn clear water but not this one. I'm just guessing its' from years of leaves, cattails decay, and carp. I'd guess the visibility is about 12-18in. Any suggestions on what may be causing it or anything to help it? Or is 12-18in fine? Drives me nuts as most other pits are clear as a bell around here and I like clear water.

I know that a lot of people think the water should be clear/clearer, but low clarity may indicate a more fertile pond which has it's advantages if your goals are to promote fish health. If it's just for swimming, then the clearer the better.

Your "dirty" water may be nutrients/algae and the little organisms that feed on that nutrients. It could also be suspended clays and/or fish activity that keep it stirred up. Read here on PB about the "jar tests" and that will help you determine what is causing your lack of clarity.

Fish on!,
Noel
W
W
Sounds like my pond. Harder for animals to see your fish.

Ever since I started up my aeration this year, my pond has maintained a turbidity that keeps the visibility at around 16 inches. While it's much prettier when it clears to 4 feet or more, the fishing is 200% better when it's dingy.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
J
OP Offline
J
Interesting that the fishing is better and also a good point in that animals can't see fish as easy. I guess my biggest worry was that I'm so used to clear water that I worry the fish can't prey on smaller fish as easily with the water being dirty? I'm also assuming with dirty water more YOY will survive for the reasoning of predators not being able to see as far?
I guess I'm just looking for some confidence. haha. I just restocked the pond last fall and with it dirty I can't see any 'action' yet and it's worrying me.

Something else to consider...we are still getting a lot of rain and that influx contributes to both erosion and nutrients being washed into the pond, causing turbidity from both sediments floating and blooms. Once we get into the heat of summer and potential droubt conditions, at least in my pond, the water tends to clear more.

You could test your water alkalinity and see if you need to add more aglime. That will usually help to settle any suspended particles.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
J
OP Offline
J
That is a good point Mike. With the amount of flooding we had here in Nebraska along with such a high water table where this pond is at has caused the water level to be higher and into old weeds, etc so that may have a lot to do with it. I just find it hard to believe the fish can grow as well in dirty water not being able to see very far to attack prey but obviously have seen some big fish out of dirty water. And, who knows, maybe 12-18in is not 'dirty'.

Originally Posted By: jwetovick
That is a good point Mike. With the amount of flooding we had here in Nebraska along with such a high water table where this pond is at has caused the water level to be higher and into old weeds, etc so that may have a lot to do with it. I just find it hard to believe the fish can grow as well in dirty water not being able to see very far to attack prey but obviously have seen some big fish out of dirty water. And, who knows, maybe 12-18in is not 'dirty'.

When I lived in east Tennessee and was fishing every bass tournament I could find, many were on the Tellico/Ft. Loudon Lakes. Tellico is very clear and attached to Ft. Loudon by a short channel at the dam. Ft. Loudon is generally a dingy lake. Both have an abundant SMB population and the Ft. Loudon side always fished better for me, both in numbers and weight, including a 7.2 SMB and a 5 fish limit of 22 lbs. I'll always look for color before clear.

What many people dont realize is fish dont see like we do. What is 16" of visibility for us is more like 36" for a fish. And if equipped with a lateral line, like LMB/SMB, that vision is extended to "who knows how far" thru vibration. And they dont have to see prey to find it, even on the darkest of nights their "vision" is exceptionally good.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 04/20/19 10:49 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
It sounds like signs of an aging pond and nutrient loading, lots of phosphorus feeding algea blooms. The Fremont state lakes had a similar issue and were treated with alum.

http://www.flatwatergroup.com/projects/f...-alum-treatment

Quote:
Why all the phosphorus in the sandpits of the Fremont Lakes?

Phosphorus is taken in by plants from the soil for growth. Nutrients enter the lake through decay of leaves and other organic matter and then accumulate over time on the lake bottom sediments. Phosphorus is released from sediments under anoxic conditions when a lake stratifies and oxygen is depleted from the lower layer. This released phosphorus results in algae blooms in the lake. Uncontrolled algae growth can clog these lakes with bluish-green scum, lead to fish kills and make then unsafe for fishing, boating, and water skiing.

This alum formulation (2 parts aluminum sulfate and 1 part sodium aluminate) is added to the lake from a boat (see project photos). When it contacts water, the formulation forms a “fluffy, cotton ball-like substance” known as colloidal aluminum hydroxide floc. This floc binds to phosphorus and then settles to the bottom of the lake. A chemical barrier is formed between the lake bottom and water. The floc binds and holds onto the phosphorus so that it can’t escape into the water above. By keeping the phosphorus on the bottom, lake algae is reduced. The treatment is supposed to remain effective for 5-10 years.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Mike Whatley
What many people dont realize is fish dont see like we do. What is 16" of visibility for us is more like 36" for a fish. And if equipped with a lateral line, like LMB/SMB, that vision is extended to "who knows how far" thru vibration. And they dont have to see prey to find it, even on the darkest of nights their "vision" is exceptionally good.

With LMB the lateral line is thought to be sensitive to vibrations to around 25 feet.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM