Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504408 04/15/19 09:37 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm new to the whole pond scene. Don't even quite understand the some of the terminology y'all use. I just bought a 2.8 acre pond in south Louisiana. The pond has 0 aeration. I purchased a 1hp gast pump and from my research I think it will do the trick. But the diffusers.... not sure how I'm going to set them up or what to use. Is there a such thing as to much oxygen? Is mine not enough but anything is better than nothing? I have a long road ahead and just decided to start here. Thanks for any input any one has. Thanks!!

T
T
Welcome to the PB Forum. Many people are here with good answers to your questions. You could start with some reading located in the Forum List. I will try to answer some you mentioned but understand I am not an expert like some others here. Diffusers, I run Kasco but there are several different brands to chose from. My pond close to your size pond I run 6 diffusers but it depends on ponds bottom designs. You might get away with 3. I could see where there might be to much oxygen but not sure you can get there. But anything may not be better than nothing. So, continue with your research, ask questions and read a lot here.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
It's good to have you blk...

The linked thread below will lend itself in your quest...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92494

It has more information than you care to even think about regarding aeration. Start there and if you get stumped on the terminology just jump back to this thread and post your questions.

You can have too little aeration. If your system is too small it will end up bringing up poisonous water constantly because it will never get out ahead of it and eliminate the poisonous conditions that naturally occur in the depths of the pond. With that said, the Gast 1hp pump that you have selected is, likely, a good candidate for your size of pond. You are on the right track, so far.

You should sketch your pond and map out the depths in different places, then share that sketch with the forum. This will help you decide where to put the diffusers and how many. A simple bowl-shaped pond is very simple to figure out, but the odd-shaped ponds and/or ones with crazy bottom contours take more consideration.

If you have the GAST 1hp rotary vane pump then you should be looking at running 7 to 10 diffusers. The exact number depends on the depth of placement, the diffuser brand, and budget. Too few diffusers and you will be overpowering them with that big of a pump and too many diffusers and you will not get the most out them with respect to water lift/movement. The GAST 1423 would produce about 9-10 CFM in a typical pond setting. The vertex brand diffusers are recommended to run at 1 CFM per diffuser.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks the post was a big help. I made. (Trial and error) 9 diffusers to try it out and see. I took a 2" aluminum pipe 12" long and drilled 3 lines of 3/32 holes probably 50 a diffuser. I also made a stand that will make it sit 14" off the bottom to not muddy up the water and it is adjustable. As far as for how many holes I drilled. If I find air isn't flowing through all of them I'll weld a few up to prevent water from getting in main pipe diffuser. If it's not enough I'll pop some more holes. Didn't really want to go out and spend a bunch of money on difusers so I'm giving it a try

And that was also something I was thinking about..... placement pond. I know I have 3 holes around 20ft deep and a channel that runs through the pond long ways that's about 12 foot. I will try to upload a picture off of maps marking it the best I can. Thanks guys

B
OP Offline
B
[img:left]http://[/img]

I have attached the best map of my pond I can at the moment

Red:20 ft
Blue line 12-15 ft trench
Green line: 5-6
Yellow: 2-4

W
W
If I had to guess, you are not going to get anywhere near the same water movement with the DIY diffusers as you would with something like a Vertex. Please post your results. Did you get the Gast 1423 that QA mentioned?

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
OP Offline
B
Yeah. I'm worried that the may not work as well but it's worth a try since I basically made them for free. And the pump should be in by Monday. But I did pick up my 3/4 horse pump from my uncle so I'll try to get a couple difusers rigged up on that one

W
W
Yeah buy something like Vertex. How would you even measure how effective yours is?

I'm all about experimenting and DIY, but I can say that the vertex diffusers have so many more holes (actually slits) than 50. My guess is that they have about 1000. They are actually designed so that the slits open up just enough to allow your air flow to escape. This keeps the holes from being larger than they need to be. Smaller holes make smaller bubbles and that is supposed to increase water movement.

You have one of those "odd-shaped ponds" that I mentioned and your 2.8 acre pond will require more diffusers than a normal round one. My GUESS is that you will want one in each of the red areas, one in the yellow (far from the red square), two for the blue (one near the island, one at the NW end), and two for the green (one by the island, one at the NE end). This should leave no dead zones. I hope others here at PB will back me up or give reason otherwise as I am just trying to use what little common sense that I have.

I think for experimentation purposes, I would focus on the big red area at the NW corner and do a lot of temp checks as you get further from that area. I bet that the far ends and the strip to the north would get little benefit. What I don't know, should you only aerate the big red square, is...will dead water be constantly created in those coves and migrate too slowly to the diffusers causing a constant mixing of low DO water. This would hurt more than help.

I also think you should reconsider using professionally made diffusers because your pond is so strung out.

I should say that I love the diverse shape of your pond...very cool!

Fish on!,
Noel
1 member likes this: Linden Pond
I agree with QA on your diffusers. If you're dead set on building your own, I think you'd be better served using soaker hose as your diffusers. They still wont produce as many tiny bubbles as a membrane type diffuser, but soaker hose will definitely outperform what your DIYing.

You also need to consider installing some kind of check valve on each diffuser to prevent water from completely filling your supply lines. Otherwise, your pump is going to wear out prematurely from trying to push all that water out of the lines every time you turn it on.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
OP Offline
B
Well..... this morning once I started thinking about how these things were going to react under water with pressure I threw the difuser part in the scrap bend. Don't know what I was thinking. Not sure what routte I'll go from here but will for sure check the vortex out

But now I have a different set of issues.... my gast 1423 came In today. I wasn't aware that this pump came in 1 phase and 3 phase. Well this one is 3 phase. So it's either find a motor that will match in 1 phase (if it can be matched) of have a pump that I can't use. My question is. I also have a 3/4 gast pump. Do you guys think that's enough to run enough difusers for my pond?

Which 3/4 hp Gast pump do you have? Is it a rotary vane pump? They have the 0823 and the 1023 in the rotary vane catagory.

Fish on!,
Noel
After looking at the pump curves for the 3/4 hp pumps...you will not be able to put any diffusers deeper than 16 foot max and the 0823 would only handle, maybe 6 diffusers. The 1023 could handle up to 8, but that might be pushing it. The 1023 will work IF you really pay attention to the plumbing, but it would be riding the line and would be working as hard as it could.

Do you have an estimate on how many gallons are in your pond? This would help to determine the turnover rate.

Bottom line: Even the 1HP pump would not get deeper than 16 foot, but could handle the 8 diffusers with ease. These pumps are limited by their output pressure. A positive displacement pump, like a piston pump would allow for more pressure which means deeper diffusers. Going to the bottom is not necessary, so we'll talk options after you get back with some answers.

Fish on!,
Noel
W
W
BLK

They have a single phase version of the 1423. Maybe you just ordered the incorrect version?? I would talk to who you ordered it from and exchange it for the single phase. Will probably cost some shipping $$ but better to have the correct pump.

B
OP Offline
B
Noel
I will get you the model number on the pump for you in a few, I was trying to figure out my gallons for my pond yesterday. My pond is 670 long, 3 different widths, widest being 240ft. I guess I will have to break my pond up into sections and ass them up. But yesterday I did some depth searching trying to find these 20ft holes I was told about and couldn't. Deepest spot I found was 16ft

B
OP Offline
B
Wbuffet
Bad thing is I purchased it off of eBay so there is no returning. But if I could find a 1phase motor I can buy it and swap them

W
W
Just a quick search so there may be better prices out there

1423 at grainger

R
R
Before I gave up the return I would suggest going to your Ebay purchase history and hit the return button and see how it plays out. I've found a very liberal policy even when not stated as such. Not 100% but worth a try.

Check out...

http://www.gopro.pro/Gast.Compressors.And.Pumps.htm

They have free shipping, but the cost is about the same as Granger.

Work has gone crazy today and I wish I was hanging out here talking ponds. TTYAL

Fish on!,
Noel
B
OP Offline
B
The pump is a gast 3/4 hp. First 4 numbers of the model number is 1022 not 1023. Is that the same thing?

B
OP Offline
B
I figured out my pond is about 5,186,160 gallons. 3 regular vertex diffusers will give me almost that (8ft average) in a 24 hour period. So 6 diffusers should put me turning my pond over twice in a 24 hour period. Is my pump enough to handle that?

The 1022 must have been replaced with another model (maybe the 1023). I would need to see a 1022 pump curve to make a good recommendation, but IF it performs like the 1023, I think it would run 6 diffusers nicely and as many as 8 so long as you keep the maximum depth of a diffuser less than 16 feet.

You should take into consideration that your pond more closely resembles a long skinny ditch with some wide spots rather than a round hole in the ground. For illustrative purposes, If you had a long skinny pond, like a strip mine, and you put a diffuser in one end...that diffuser will have little to no affect on the opposite end's turnover. Make sure you look at the far ends of your pond as separate "turnover" areas. For example...a diffuser in the big red square will not noticeably help the turnover in the yellow area.

The shape of your pond begs for at least 6 diffusers. IF the 1022 is similar to the 1023, then the pump wants to run 8 diffusers with the deepest on at 14 feet or so. This assumes 5/8" line runs as short as possible with as few fittings as possible.

Having excess turnover is a good thing, especially in your hot summer climate. If your system can turn the pond over twice a day, then you can run the system half as much which allows you to only run at night. This helps keep the water temperatures lower during the summer.

Try to get a pump curve for the 1022 and we'll go from there.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Noel. I'm thinking that the 1022 is the same thing as the 1023. I wasn't able to find a pump curve on it though. I plan on useing self weighted 1/2" pex line to run to my diffusers. That's what's a neighbor used and his works nicely I'll keep my runs as close as I can butt I will have 2 pretty long runs

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??