Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mel-, Sdelaney, Fredly, Ryan P., kdowd771
16180 Registered Users
Forum Stats
16181 Members
36 Forums
37048 Topics
503962 Posts

Max Online: 1383 @ 08/09/19 04:50 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19943
Dave Davidson1 14021
Bill Cody 12918
Who's Online
9 registered (jason7858, Augie, masterbasser316, Shorty, Rick O, Slickmullet, Funky, highflyer, TGW1), 262 Guests and 571 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#504374 - 04/15/19 11:49 AM Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond?
David Shaw Offline

Loc: Southeast Missouri
Attached is a picture of my property along with my neighbor's pond which ends just feet from my property line. The yellow line indicates the path that water takes from the neighbor's spillway, across my property, and into a small creek before exiting my property.

I would like to add a pond on my property, but I'm not sure how to do it considering the spillway from my neighbor's pond cuts directly across my property. What would need to be done in order to prevent the water from the neighbor's spillway from washing out the back side of my levee?

Attachments
Pond Spillway 2.png (196 downloads)
Spillway 3.png (160 downloads)

#504375 - 04/15/19 12:08 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
roundy Offline

Loc: Beardstown, Illinois
Where were you thinking of locating your pond?

#504376 - 04/15/19 12:17 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: roundy]
David Shaw Offline

Loc: Southeast Missouri
Anywhere that's feasible, but I assume this is the best location considering the lay of the land.

Attachments
Pond Location.png (111 downloads)

#504378 - 04/15/19 12:35 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
Augie Online   content

Loc: Boone County Missouri
I have a similar situation with my pond.

If you're willing to live with whatever kinds of fish are in the upstream pond you could build your pond to catch the spillway discharge from the neighbor. I didn't want the neighbor fish getting into my pond so I terraced and graded to take the upstream pond overflow around my pond.

There was a bit of erosion that happened before I got grass established on the back of my pond dam, but not to the extent that would be considered major damage. Without knowing the size of watershed you have it's impossible to say how much flow to expect.

#504380 - 04/15/19 12:38 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
Mike Whatley Offline

Loc: Louisiana
If your dead set on it being in that location, you have two options. You either dig a diversion ditch from his pond around yours, or you let his overflow discharge into yours. One is going to be more expensive, the other could mean you getting unwanted fish in your pond as well as less than desirable water chemistry if he isn't managing his.

My neighbor's watershed flows into my pond, as a favor to not flooding his yard, and it's a constant battle to keep my little pond straight with all the nutrients flowing in.

#504381 - 04/15/19 12:42 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
BrianL Offline

Loc: Paris, TX
I don't see how you could build and have enough watershed without his pond overflow being used. I think that is just going to be part of it if you want a pond on your place unless there is watershed coming from a different direction. Still, keeping his water out won't be easy from the pic.

Edited by BrianL (04/15/19 12:44 PM)

#504384 - 04/15/19 12:52 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
roundy Offline

Loc: Beardstown, Illinois
Another piece of the puzzle is what is your intended use and goals for the pond? How much do you want to manage the pond? Leading a decision if drainage from neighbors pond is a problem or not. Some people just want a wet hole with fish in it and others chose to have very specific goals. No right or wrong answer just what you want.

#504393 - 04/15/19 03:45 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
Quarter Acre Offline

Loc: West Central Missouri
Watershed would be my biggest concern...Your neighbor's pond looks to be in the 1/4 acre size AND I do not see much erosion from it's discharge, meaning that is does not outflow too much water. With that said, I would think that your neighbors pond has a proper (or, possibly, a less than proper) watershed (does their pond stay at full pool or does it drop low in the dry times?).

Where is your pond going to get its water if you do not use the discharge from the other?

AND, Will there be enough watershed if you do use the discharge to fill your pond that appears to be closer to the 1/2 acre size?

You will have created enough pond to require watershed for approximately a 3/4 acre pond in total and if his is just right, your will struggle to keep water as a decent level.

Welcome from West-Central MO!

#504395 - 04/15/19 04:12 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
One thing to keep in mind is that you will likely need to be sure your dam does not back up water on your neighbor's land. As a plus, your neighbor's pond will act as a settling pond. If watershed is limiting, sealing up the pond well will be critical. My new 1/2 acre pond has very little watershed, but is sealed up tight as a drum and dropped very little last summer. We also built a wetland/sump that has less watershed than water surface area but still held good water the last couple years (since we built it). We have another wetland with great inflow, but it was not sealed up well by the government mitigation folks that built it, and it goes dry most Summers.

#504402 - 04/15/19 05:58 PM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
N.TexasHalfAcre Offline

Loc: North Texas
It may be cheaper and easier to just buy your neighbor's pond. You could always expand it onto your property. Just a thought.

Edited by N.TexasHalfAcre (04/15/19 07:05 PM)

#504414 - 04/16/19 07:22 AM Re: Building a pond RIGHT next to my neighbors pond? [Re: David Shaw]
jludwig Offline

Loc: Central Kansas
How is your relationship with your neighbor? Can you work with your neighbor to build a pond dam on the fence line?

Today's Birthdays
Chint77, MDHendon, Ponds.org
Recent Posts
LMB feed trained?
by Clay N' Pray
Today at 06:42 AM
Fall & water temp
by Snipe
Today at 12:19 AM
New Steep Dam, Help with Erosion Control
by Snipe
Today at 12:14 AM