Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
OP Offline
B
Well my 3 day weekend of fishing turned into only getting to fish Memorial day. We caught 5 long & lean LMB with the biggest one being 11" Slow day of fishing. Big algae bloom. Could only see about 1'. Olive in color. We were fishing with GSH. No fish after lunch with only a few nibbles. We then went to the ditch and caught 45 GSF 2-5" and put them into the pond. The best part of the day was seeing a small school of BG by the dock about 3-4" long. 1st fish caught was a nice BG around 8" long in the picture below. Got to get my boat fixed so I can get out there amungst those LMB. We can only fish so much from the dock.

Attached Images
pond bg 5-27-19.jpg

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Went out this morning for an early morning fishing trip before work since I still had some leftover GSH. Saw lots of activity on the surface but didn't catch anything with the GSH my wife and I was fishing with. The water is getting greener with algae and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. My siphon stopped sometime this week and I tried to restart it with no luck. Guess the water is too low and I have too big of an air bubble in the pipe. So I got a hand pump to pump out the air and will try again this weekend. Also the top it off there is a dead opossum floating around out there. So my conclusion is that the skinny LMB must not be starving or they have become picky eaters.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Sometimes they just dont want to bite! You may go back this afternoon and catch one after another. I've had that happen many times when fishing tournaments. A place I knew held fish consistently but couldn't get bit. I would either stay on it until they turned on or leave and come back a couple hours later and find they had started to feed.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
B
OP Offline
B
We went back this afternoon with no luck at the fishing dock. Went over to the east side and my wife did get a bit but couldn't get it in. Don't know what it was but it was a fish about 8-10 inches. I do think that I have a filamentous algae problem. I noticed that I would have some green goo when I would reel in. Visibility is pretty low. So for now I won't be fishing till I can get my boat ready and do some troutlining for those CC. I have got to get busy on building up the levee now that it has dried out some. Still got to get the water level down some more and my siphon had stopped working this past week. I tried to restart but no luck. I have too much of an air bubble since the water level is lower. I got an air/fluid hand pump I am going to rig up to pull the air out and retry it again. Many of my GSH that I got to fish with on Memorial day were still alive and that is why we got to fish this weekend. I put the leftovers in the cattle tank behind the house so we will see how long they live there. They will have plenty to eat with all the mosquitos that are coming out.
Anyway my priorities right now are to get the levee fixed and remove trees off of the levee. I will update as work progresses.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Drove around the pond yesterday and the green algae looks like it is gone and it is now the dark olive algae like it normally does this time of year. So maybe I don't have that filamentous algae problem after all.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
I finally got to take my wife on the pond in our boat today. I have some questions so I hope I will get some responses. I was skunked by my bride 5-0 She caught 2 8", 1 10", 1 10 1/2" & 1 11" All were male LMB and we was using GSH for bait. I did take out a BG that was struggling to breath. I picked him up with a boat paddle so that tells you he was about dead. I threw him out in the field cause I didn't know if he had something wrong with him. His tail was red so I don't know if he had worked himself to death or what? That is one question I have. The main question is I am not catching any larger size LMB. And now we are not catching many of any size. We use GSH. I have a couple new rod & reals to do some artificial lures but just haven't got around to setting them up. Today I seen the most little minnows around the fishing dock and along the shallows. That has to be a good sign. I could not tell what they were. Some were as small as 1/4" on up to an inch or so. We see lot of fish activity when we are at the pond with fish splashing around and so on. Everything I read here says to take out about 25 lbs of LMB a year per acre. So do I need to continue taking out the LMB? What if I started throwing out some fish food to see what comes to get it and get a better idea what is in there? Now that I got my boat back up I am going to do some yo-yoing & troutlining for the CC in the pond. I plan to set them in the evening and checking them the next morning. Any ideas on my LMB would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Here is a picture of the LMB caught yesterday.

Attached Images
bass 7-7-19.jpg

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
R
R
Hello big puller I know nothing about how many to keep and how many to put back. The one thing I know is i wouldn't have left til i caught at least 1 noway I can have my wife skunk me lol. She would be on facebook blasting me.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: RStringer
Hello big puller I know nothing about how many to keep and how many to put back. The one thing I know is i wouldn't have left til i caught at least 1 noway I can have my wife skunk me lol. She would be on facebook blasting me.

This was her post on fb. She ddn't blast me too bad I guess.

"After working all day yesterday replacing the pool deck floor, we treated ourselves to Sunday all day fishing. Buddy R Hill was a great fishing guide while I caught all the fish!!"

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
R
R
She let you off easy LOL

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
B
OP Offline
B
Got to do a little fishing at the pond today. Put out some yo-yo's and did some good. Caught 5 small lmb on them and R&R. But caught 3 nice CC. 1 19" at 3 lbs. 1 21" at 3 lbs and 1 21" at 3.5 lbs. Not the most accurate scales out there but it's what I had. I had one LMB that got off a yo yo that looked big. Below is a picture of the catch. Some good eating in our future.

Attached Images
fish caught 7-29-19.jpg
Last edited by bigpullerman; 07/28/19 07:11 PM.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
It's been a while since I posted. The pond had stayed as full as it has ever been all year. Never got below the original full mark and stayed above it most of the time. I tried a few times to run my siphon to drain it down but just gave up cause it would rain and fill it back up. We did ok fishing and I kept some BG to fry up cause it has been a while since I have had any. Nothing huge, just in the 8" range. I finally got to cut a few trees down on the levee but have got a lot more to do. I bush hogged behind the levee also to get all that mess cleaned up. I just didn't have a lot of time to put into the pond this year. Lots of rain = lots of mowers needing repaired and I also took on a part time job working Fri & Sat nights cooking at a friends dairy bar. Then my garden took up a lot of time this year. Now that the Holidays are hear I can catch up on here reading about what all everyone has done.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
Been almost a year since I updated here. Done a little fishing but not catching anything with any size. My wife and I have been cleaning around the pond the past couple weekends and I am seeing lots of little minnows an inch or so in the shallows. I am concentrating on cleaning up all the limbs and logs in the pond and clearing the trees growing on the levee and around the edge. Pond stayed at full to about 2 ft low which is what full pool was before I raised my spillway. In the pond photo 66 is the west side and those big trees are dead from the new water level and in pond photo 67 is the east side with the same deal with the trees being dead. Once I get the tree problem cleared up I will be concentrating on the fish.

Attached Images
pond 67.jpg pond 66.jpg

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??