Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (TLL, DrewSh, New Guy, catscratch, Boondoggle, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti), 1,109 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504183 04/10/19 07:54 AM
OP Offline
I had Nate and Austin from Herman Brothers Pond Management come to my place on Monday and do some shock surveying and analysis. I had a few questions I wanted answered:

1 - as some of you know I'm one of the minority on this site that says you can manage BCP long term in a small(ish) BOW. I wanted confirmation (or not) that my management plan is working.

2 - given my location and the runoff I get into my big pond, I wanted some advice on controlling sediment

3 - I was interested in any other advice Nate and Austin might have

My overall goal for this pond has always been the same - to have a solid fishery primarily focused on good BCP.

After a few hours and some rewiring of the transducer (thanks to some redneck engineering) we got everything I wanted.

The fishery is VERY healthy, with good age classes of LMB, BCP, RES and BG caught. The BCP were especially impressive, and many over 12" were shocked up in a very short period of time.

I should have my report relatively soon and I'll update this post once I get it, but here's a few pics:

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
Thanks for the post. I guess I will come out of the closet and state I will be adding BCP to my pond this weekend.

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Redonthehead
Thanks for the post. I guess I will come out of the closet and state I will be adding BCP to my pond this weekend.

LOL....well I'll tell you that I don't regret them one bit. You have to manage the pond for them, there's no doubt about that. For me the management is basically keep the BOW predator and prey heavy - predators to keep the small BCP numbers down and prey so that the growing BCP have plenty to eat. And also take out a nice chunk of 12+" fish every year.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
P
P
Dale what do you do for the prey part of the equation. I am loaded with 8-1” LMB as well as some hosses that can eat whatever they want . Not seeing any BCP recruitment
8-10” LMB not 8-1”

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 04/11/19 04:30 PM. Reason: Type O
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Dale this is great evidence of a solid fishery management strategy employed - it's new science for the forum which will be helpful for many of us and I'm stoked for your success! Keep harvesting and enjoy those BCP fillets!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Dale what do you do for the prey part of the equation. I am loaded with 8-1” LMB as well as some hosses that can eat whatever they want . Not seeing any BCP recruitment

Pat,

For me it's been multi-faceted. First and foremost I keep my BG population high...we rarely target them and never during spawn. I want all the little yoy BG I can get in there, as food for my BCP. I also have stocked glass shrimp (very successfully, through nothing but luck on my part), FHM (multiple times via a forage pond) and GSH (not sure how well this worked, shock survey didn't bring up any of these.

I also make sure that at least 30% or so of my BOW has good cover - weed beds etc. It's fairly deep overall so there's always a 'shelf' to fish off of, but this way there's lots of invertebrates and other wiggly things that make good fish food.

Dale

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Dale this is great evidence of a solid fishery management strategy employed - it's new science for the forum which will be helpful for many of us and I'm stoked for your success! Keep harvesting and enjoy those BCP fillets!

Thanks TJ!! Appreciate it. I'd never claim to have it all figured out, and like Nate said while he was here a fishery is ALWAYS changing so it'll take me keeping in front of it over the years, but 10 years in I'm calling it a very successful experiment.

Dale

P
P
This is the first year where there is plenty of little BG, and more weed . I thought I might need to get rid of some LMB young and let the BCP have more to eat

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
This is the first year where there is plenty of little BG, and more weed . I thought I might need to get rid of some LMB young and let the BCP have more to eat

Pat,

I don't catch a ton of small LMB so I can't speak to that. I think they're just more food for the bigger BCP and obviously also for the larger LMB. I've got a good population of 2-4 LB LMB is what it seems like based on the shock survey, and those boys/girls can put a hurting on small to medium size fish.

Dale

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 04:36 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump