Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#503898 04/03/19 05:07 AM
D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
It appears that I have finally been hit. Started feeding 2 weeks ago and didn't see many coming to feed. OK, it's early so wasn't concerned. Fished last week when I fed and caught 6 nice, healthy bluegills. Went there again yesterday and hit a 2 second test throw. Again, not many came to feed. Fished about 1/2 hour and caught 4. Again, nice healthy fish.

In the past, when the feed hit the water LOTS of big bluegills came to feed and fed voraciously. A 10 second throw lasted no time. They still hit the feed with a lot of enthusiasm but maybe only 20 or so fish as the feed blows away.

The jury is still out but the evidence is pretty compelling. I've seen it before on other peoples ponds. One local guy showed me pics from a game camera on his backyard pond of them hitting his place.

I don't live there and, even if I did, I can't monitor it 24/7. On the plus side, baby BG predation ought to be down so they will replenish themselves.

Once again, it's Mama Nature at work and she can be mean.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Dave, I hate em! right now I am seeing 15+- per day. We are checking the pond twice in the morning and then we are at the pond from noon till late evening. And they will show up between 10 and 12. It's hard to drive them off and discourage them. I am seeing the same thing at the feeders right now. Not a lot of action, but I think is more due to this cold spell we are seeing right now.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
The cormorants that dive under water are really a challenge this year at our pond. Never been this bad before, not even close. It is especially hard when you are only at the property on weekends.

The reflective tape appears to have been relatively effective. I have gone from 10-15 in the water and surrounding trees to none in trees and 1-2 only sometimes during a day in the water. Not totally sure it's the reflective tape or just that they've eaten all the fish and moved on. Maybe some of both....but there was an obvious change right after I put up a lot of reflective tape.

It's really ridiculous that these birds are federally protected by the migratory bird act enacted in 1916.....1916?....Really?

One minor change could really help us. If needed...keep the protection on public lakes/rivers/waters where there are millions and millions of these birds that are no where near being endangered, but allow private land owners to shoot them with a license for a fee. Raise money, protect private water fish, and have very small impact on the over-all population of these type migratory birds. Good luck trying to get that type of common sense measure past the enviro-whackos.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

K
Lunker
Lunker
K
You Texs fellas are not the only ones suffering from comorant invasion. Us central Alabama guys have got it as well. There is no doubt the feds need to step in (good luck with this). I read they will eat their weight in fish every day. I'll bet a roasted comorant taste like....... not going there.

By the way, the Creek Chub Suckers that I wrote about a few years ago are spawning at night and make TONS of noise scraping their bellies on the rocks at my boathouse. They are having an overnight party while I'm trying to sleep. Those dudes look to be 6lb plus.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
The bad part is that I’ve never seen one at either of my ponds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
I was having problems as well a few weeks ago but, believe it or not, the Scare Eye balloons and a couple of pieces of the shiny tape stuff actually worked on them. I haven't seen one since! However, the GBH and Egrets laugh at them. In fact, a GBH poked three holes in one of them and popped it. lol

I
I
They are a big problem here too.
I've tried many legal way to keep them away from my pond, but they have been unsuccessful, more or less.
The only thing I've found successful is a sort of web made with some thick fishing line. Not a single cormorant in my pond since fall. They fly over my pond everyday but no one comes down.
The "web" is wide enough to fish through, 25/30 feet between lines, but crossed, so that the cormorants don't have enough free space to land and take off without hitting them. For this reason they don't feel safe and don't come.
I will remove the lines in May and put them back in early October.

Filippo
JKS3613 #503924 04/03/19 03:44 PM
I
I
Scare eye balloons worked for me too for a couple of years. The secret is to turn the colors often. Not living near the pond is a problem.
Unfortunately I confirm also about GBH.

Filippo
ItalyBASS #503925 04/03/19 04:38 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: ItalyBASS
The only thing I've found successful is a sort of web made with some thick fishing line. Not a single cormorant in my pond since fall. They fly over my pond everyday but no one comes down. The "web" is wide enough to fish through, 25/30 feet between lines, but crossed, so that the cormorants don't have enough free space to land and take off without hitting them. For this reason they don't feel safe and don't come. I will remove the lines in May and put them back in early October.

That's interesting Filippo.

How high off the surface of the water are your lines?

What pound test is the line?

Is it monofilament line or braided line like SpiderWire fishing line?

How many acres is your pond?

I
I
Zep the lines are at about 4 feet from water. It's 55 lb monofilament, because of the strenght and primarily because they don't have to easily see it, but get scared by suddenly finding/hitting it.
My pond is 1 acre and is rectangular shaped.
I planted 4 rebars along each short side and pulled the lines crossing them in the middle two by two. Then added 2 rebars in the middle of each long side and pulled other short lines under the long ones just to help support them in the middle (I never imagined how much 150 yards of 55lb monofilament could weigh...).

Filippo
F
F
Yesterday was the first time back to my pond since I put up the reflective tape and 2 of the spinning cup detractors. The tape had broken or blown off in the wind so I replaced it.

The good news is that, for now, I didn't see any cormorants and I usually have a couple. Could be they've had their fill.

I didn't see too much action at the feeder when I did a test run.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
New administration at the wheel for two years now - is it still the fault of the notorious 1916 enviro-wackos?

Apply for an aquaculture license, then apply for a depredation permit to protect your aquaculture business. Cecil Baird did that [In IN] and was able to permanently discourage GBH that were hammering his trophy trout, IIRC. Or, try to source a time machine, maybe, and enlighten the 1916 wackos before they pass the legislation. If you decide the latter, be sure to bet against the Brooklyn Robins and cash in!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Good stuff, TJ. LMAO Thanks!

Has anyone tried harassing the offending fish eaters, whether they be cormorants, eagles, osprey, mergansers, proper water turkeys (anhingas) with drones? It seems to me that a moderately large fixed wing, or a quad copter, could successfully be used to threaten the birds into leaving. It might also work for Canada geese.

My Australian shepherd convinces all birds to "move along" from our pond. If they won't fly from her running the bank and barking, in she goes for a swim. None remain when she locks on.

A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: 4CornersPuddle

My Australian shepherd convinces all birds to "move along" from our pond. If they won't fly from her running the bank and barking, in she goes for a swim. None remain when she locks on.

Wish I had a dog like that! Do you think she'd chase away otters, as well?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Yes, she would certainly harass them continuously day and night if they didn't either leave, or I didn't call her off.

I've had a number of Aussies over the years. Nearly every one of them had wanted me to show them what kind of job I wanted done, then taken it upon themselves to perfect their work.

As the herding and the hunting instincts are basically the same, my Aussies have loved to hunt. Four of them figured how to get beyond chukars, pheasants, and turkeys and herd them back to me. I once had a girlfriend who claimed it was unfair to the birds to hunt them with Australian shepherds.

I can imagine the border collie would also excel at harassing unwanted birds or mammals. Border collies tend to be more inclined to become gun shy. Initial gun shyness in my Aussies has quickly disappeared once they've retrieved a bird to hand.

Lunker
Lunker
It does seem cormorant populations in many places are on the rise and impacting fisheries negatively - it makes sense to me if they are damaging property steps should be taken to protect one's interests. There's a way to do so, legally, at least in some states - which I wanted to share in my post.

Lastly - friendly reminder to the forum to avoid making sweeping generalizations negatively characterizing groups that steer us into political, religious, or environmental waters. We've been down this road before, and it ultimately lead to good contributors leaving the Pond Boss Forum family. However, regarding the point made, no clue how one could characterize someone interested in protecting non game birds as a "wacko". Follow the appropriate channels to resolve the issue and it rather becomes a non issue - and one may not feel compelled to resort to denigrating others. That's a good day in my book.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: 4CornersPuddle

Has anyone tried harassing the offending fish eaters, whether they be cormorants, eagles, osprey, mergansers, proper water turkeys (anhingas) with drones? It seems to me that a moderately large fixed wing, or a quad copter, could successfully be used to threaten the birds into leaving. It might also work for Canada geese.

Sounds like the dog for my family when we move to the farm!

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I'm sure all of those things work to some extent,

But: I don't live there. Even if I did, it only takes a couple of hours and who can eyeball a pond full time. It's just nature at work.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/10/19 05:12 AM.

teehjaeh57 #504003 04/05/19 07:39 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
However, regarding the point made, no clue how one could characterize someone interested in protecting non game birds as a "wacko".

Like you say better to not discuss in detail here....but I will be more than happy to discuss with you at the next Pond Boss Convention how degrees of protection 100 years later that seemingly can't be adjusted or modified can be seen as way, way over-board (and in my opinion kind of whacko). It shouldn't be an "either/or" of full on slaughter or total nonsensical protection. There should be something in-between. 2EachHisOwn.

Pretty Good General Summary of MBTA:
https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-migratory-bird-treaty-act

ItalyBASS #504006 04/05/19 08:19 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Zep the lines are at about 4 feet from water. It's 55 lb monofilament, because of the strenght and primarily because they don't have to easily see it, but get scared by suddenly finding/hitting it. My pond is 1 acre and is rectangular shaped. I planted 4 rebars along each short side and pulled the lines crossing them in the middle two by two. Then added 2 rebars in the middle of each long side and pulled other short lines under the long ones just to help support them in the middle (I never imagined how much 150 yards of 55lb monofilament could weigh...).

Thanks Filippo....I am still toying with the idea of netting.
(which btw depending on the court could violate the MBTA) smirk

https://www.industrialnetting.com/ov6200-168-standard-duty-bird-net.html

I just can't continually allow water turkey to destroy thousands of dollars of investment every year....
but not sure how practical netting would be on a 3 acre pond.

The reflective tape seemed to work relatively well...

Zep #504018 04/05/19 03:54 PM
I
I
Originally Posted By: Zep

Thanks Filippo....I am still toying with the idea of netting.
(which btw depending on the court could violate the MBTA) smirk

https://www.industrialnetting.com/ov6200-168-standard-duty-bird-net.html

I just can't continually allow water turkey to destroy thousands of dollars of investment every year....
but not sure how practical netting would be on a 3 acre pond.

The reflective tape seemed to work relatively well...

Whoa Zep! Don't you want to cover a 3 acre pond with a net shocked ??
If reflective tape won't work try the lines way before thinking about that surely expensive and not practical net.
For my 1 acre rectangular shaped pond I think I've spent the equivalent of no more than 50/60 bucks (12 rebars and 1600 yards of monofilament line).
As you can see in the picture lines are enough wide to let me fish. They don't need to be accurately placed, they just need to stop the cormorants from landing and taking off comfortably and being annoyed and frightened by not seeing the lines well.
If your pond has shores without vegetation you can comfortably plant the rebars on the shore and move them to your liking if and when you need more space to fish more comfortably or for any other reason and put them back when you leave.

Filippo
ItalyBASS #504019 04/05/19 04:07 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Whoa Zep! Don't you want to cover a 3 acre pond with a net shocked ??
If reflective tape won't work try the lines way before thinking about that surely expensive and not practical net.

I know...I am just frustrated with the water turkey stealing thousands of dollars in fish, although it's possible that otters may have done the most damage.

For my 1 acre rectangular shaped pond I think I've spent the equivalent of no more than 50/60 bucks (12 rebars and 1600 yards of monofilament line). They don't need to be accurately placed, they just need to stop the cormorants from landing and taking off comfortably and being annoyed and frightened by not seeing the lines as well.

Ok thanks for the drawing...appreciate that...it makes sense....and what have I got to lose to try it first?

If your pond has shores without vegetation

The pond shores are mostly clear without vegetation.....there are some inlets and such...but heck if i could make even 50%-75% of the pond a no go zone for the flying protected thieves that would seem like a win.

Thanks for the great advice Filippo!

I
I
You're welcome Zep!
I'm very happy if I can help.
I learned so much from you all, so it is very gratifying to be able to repay at least a little.

Filippo
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Filippo....

I may try your fishing line anti-water turkey trick next year.

Did you ever see or notice a water-turkey attempting a landing because they did not see the fishing line?....and like crash into the lines?

I suppose the fishing line works great because it's cheap and also because it does not support a bird to stand on like an electrical line we see birds standing on.

D
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
D
I'll try several things next year. Balloons, strings, etc. It is my understanding that they are migrating through but not sure about that.

I went there yesterday and did a 3 second test throw on the feeder. I counted 425 hits on the feed as the wind blew it away. Obviously, some were the same fish. But, the point is, I could count them. Certainly not a feeding frenzy from a well stocked pond. That's not good. I called Lusk and talked to him.

I'm ordering about 3 or 4 hundred 4 inch bluegills for replacements. I probably had 7 or 8 hybrid stripers and when they take a pellet, you can tell the difference. I saw none of them. May be a couple left.

I was bass light and figured on stocking more this year. I may wait until next year or go ahead and get some. I dang sure don't a fish kill from no predator for the bluegills. And, I'll probably add another dozen 4 inch long HSB's.

West Texas doesn't have otters so they aren't the answer.

Restocking a pond with existing fish is new territory for me. Too many unknowns and there is no way I could get a shock boat anywhere near the pond.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/10/19 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails