Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
GAPRanch, Demerson, JohnnyK, Gunner313, Bob20643DE
15842 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15842 Members
36 Forums
36396 Topics
495953 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24032
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19746
Dave Davidson1 13737
Bill Cody 12742
Who's Online
3 registered (GAPRanch, anthropic, teehjaeh57), 83 Guests and 607 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#502993 - 03/12/19 07:55 AM Re: New Pond Project [Re: MWB]
gehajake Offline

Loc: MO
That is accurate, I have done some small projects for them but pretty much withdrew from their list for larger ponds and projects, dont have the proper equipment for moving large amounts of dirt over long distances, really need scrapers for that, usually not able to get competitive on the prices of somebody with scrapers, they can move dirt so much more efficiently.

#503054 - 03/13/19 01:39 PM Re: New Pond Project [Re: MWB]
SetterGuy Offline

Loc: NE Missouri
Originally Posted By: MWB

Thanks for the Welcome Jeff. I see you are about an hour east of my property. I read your pond build with great interest since yours is kind of close to what I am doing. Hopefully yours is not leaking to much and keeping up with the rain. Where did you find your pond builder? Was he local to your area? Nice looking pond by the way!!

Thanks

Bill

Bill, my situation was sort of tricky. I have a neighbor that owns a big dozer. Heís built ponds all over Ralls Co, and even helped build Mark Twain Lake. Iím well aware that a good dozer operator does not equal a good pond builder. But for peace in the neighborhood and being one of only two absentee landowners around, I went with him. He had help from two brothers that also build ponds as a side line, but also sell timber. They cut all the trees, and arranged for the timber to be sold. Thatís another can of worms. I was there almost every day, and I think I came out alright. Our share of the timber sales was $6,000 I think, which went a long way towards construction costs. I donít think my leak is too bad. 1/4Ē a day, and evaporation is probably most of that. The agent from the USDA/Missouri Conservation office helped pick the spot, test the clay, measure the runoff, and make recommendations on emergency spillway pipe. Part of my leak may be coming from around the pipe, I am not sure. If we can stay out of a drought Iíll be fine. Like I said, I almost stopped the build. One of the pond building brothers told me, if it was his pond, heíd stop. We were too far along, and there wasnít a good second choice, so I elected to finish. Really glad we did. Just wish I could spend more time there. Retiring in August, so getting a little more time for the pond should be doable.
Post some pics of your place and project. Looking forward to watching it happen.
Jeff

#503074 - 03/13/19 05:09 PM Re: New Pond Project [Re: SetterGuy]
MWB Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Originally Posted By: MWB

Thanks for the Welcome Jeff. I see you are about an hour east of my property. I read your pond build with great interest since yours is kind of close to what I am doing. Hopefully yours is not leaking to much and keeping up with the rain. Where did you find your pond builder? Was he local to your area? Nice looking pond by the way!!

Thanks

Bill

Bill, my situation was sort of tricky. I have a neighbor that owns a big dozer. Heís built ponds all over Ralls Co, and even helped build Mark Twain Lake. Iím well aware that a good dozer operator does not equal a good pond builder. But for peace in the neighborhood and being one of only two absentee landowners around, I went with him. He had help from two brothers that also build ponds as a side line, but also sell timber. They cut all the trees, and arranged for the timber to be sold. Thatís another can of worms. I was there almost every day, and I think I came out alright. Our share of the timber sales was $6,000 I think, which went a long way towards construction costs. I donít think my leak is too bad. 1/4Ē a day, and evaporation is probably most of that. The agent from the USDA/Missouri Conservation office helped pick the spot, test the clay, measure the runoff, and make recommendations on emergency spillway pipe. Part of my leak may be coming from around the pipe, I am not sure. If we can stay out of a drought Iíll be fine. Like I said, I almost stopped the build. One of the pond building brothers told me, if it was his pond, heíd stop. We were too far along, and there wasnít a good second choice, so I elected to finish. Really glad we did. Just wish I could spend more time there. Retiring in August, so getting a little more time for the pond should be doable.
Post some pics of your place and project. Looking forward to watching it happen.
Jeff

Jeff, yeah I wondered if my Timber is worth anything. I hate to just bulldoze it up and burn it. Not sure its worth trying to find someone or not. Something is better than nothing if its going up in smoke!!

Attachments
Missouri Property.jpg (29 downloads)

Edited by MWB (03/13/19 05:16 PM)

#503077 - 03/13/19 05:41 PM Re: New Pond Project [Re: MWB]
SetterGuy Offline

Loc: NE Missouri
Canít hurt to find out. Prices were up when I built 4.5 years ago. I doubt theyíve come down.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Today's Birthdays
Samaki
Recent Posts
Howdy from Gouldbusk TX
by GAPRanch
43 minutes 43 seconds ago
Optimal fish food group buy North Texas
by anthropic
Yesterday at 11:41 PM
Perch ribbons, mid March and cold!
by Snipe