Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Walt05, TexasRattler, BonesD, Rick K, hankscke123
15943 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15943 Members
36 Forums
36608 Topics
498656 Posts

Max Online: 1210 @ 08/23/18 11:01 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24033
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 19811
Dave Davidson1 13831
Bill Cody 12796
Who's Online
20 registered (Walt05, DavidDunn, roundy, RStringer, BrianL, bassmaster61, Augie, blavis, wbuffetjr, Custom 68, DrLuke, anogard, s252101, Clay N' Pray, BLUE72CAMARO, C Peasy, Vortex 4, SetterGuy, Theo Gallus, Quarter Acre), 250 Guests and 501 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#493810 - 07/16/18 03:19 PM Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Hello Pond Boss Family:

Looking at walk behind brush mowers to take care of trails around the pond, will need to work through some 2-3" sumac occasionally as well. Looks like I can't go wrong with a DR, but was hoping you could relate some of your experience/opinions so I can be a bit more confident with my purchase.

Thanks in advance guys!

TJ

#493811 - 07/16/18 03:40 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
KRM1985 Offline

Loc: Huron OH
Dr is good. Billy Goat makes a decent one too. There are others but they can be pricey for what they are in my opinion. Does it have to be a walk behind? Walk behinds are nice for tight areas.. I use a small ford jubilee tractor and 5' brush hog..whatever the tractor can run over the mower can cut.. this way you are not walking through poison ivy etc.. A setup like that is about 2k and it can be used for other projects too.

#493818 - 07/16/18 09:05 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
John Fitzgerald Offline

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
TJ, I have used the Billy Goat, Swisher, and DR. I now have an old DR All Terrain Mower. The DR is the best of the three IMO. If you get one, be sure to get the optional heavy brush blade. It's flat and sharpened on both sides, so reversible. The 26" cut with 14 HP will be plenty.
Don't get the basic model that doesn't have interchangeable decks.

It will cut the 2 inch sumacs fine if you go in first gear. Basically, it will cut whatever it can ride down, if you go slow in the heavy stuff. I can cut two foot tall grass in third gear, and never slow down. Mine has an old flat head Briggs 10.5 HP.

Edited by John Fitzgerald (07/16/18 09:11 PM)

#493828 - 07/16/18 11:51 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
DrWizz Offline

Loc: Eastern Iowa
You won't be disappointed with a DR. My buddy has a walk behind and has had very good luck with it. I have had a DR pull behind for 10 years and it has been a work horse. I use it behind a 550 cc ATV and haven't encountered anything it couldn't handle from heavy brush to tall, wet grass. I have the 17HP Yamaha engine and chose it because of the active oil pump system it has for internal lubrication which helps with better oil circulation on steeper hills. I mow the back side of my levee (3 to 1 slope) with this set up. Makes me too nervous to mow that much slope with a tractor.

#493829 - 07/17/18 12:16 AM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
teehjaeh57 Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Thanks for the feedback, boys. This is the model I'm considering...the electric start and power steering sure add a lot to the price, though. I have a lot of trees so thought the steering might be helpful enough to warrant the extra $.

https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/...ng-new-50st.axd

What do you think of a 3 year extended warranty for $199? Sucker deal?

#493841 - 07/17/18 10:58 AM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
DrWizz Offline

Loc: Eastern Iowa
I got the extended warranty and ended up using it to replace a wheel late in the warranty period. BTW, I have ordered several parts from them and their customer service has been very good.

#493843 - 07/17/18 11:58 AM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
John Fitzgerald Offline

Loc: S. end of Elkins, Arkansas
I have also had good experience with DR customer service. The only thing I have ordered from them is the optional heavy brush blade. It's a MUST HAVE for this machine. It's about twice as heavy as the blade that comes on it. Other than that, I have talked to their tech department about issues I was working on, due to it being 18 years old at the time and needing some refurb, which I did.

I never buy extended warranties unless it's Harbor Freight (sketchy) stuff (return to store warranty). In my younger years, I did, and only used one once, and it didn't quite pay back the cost of the warranty.

I have no trouble steering around trees, and am not that big and strong. The electric start would be nice though. That 10.5 HP used to wear me out until I found the trick of starting it with one pull. Turn the gas valve off when you are done, and let it run a half minute before you shut it down.

Edited by John Fitzgerald (07/17/18 12:03 PM)

#493846 - 07/17/18 02:23 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
Matzilla Offline

Loc: Iowa
those briggs ohv 28 and 31 cu in motors are bullet proof so long as you keep them clean and change the oil often - only big problems are blown head gaskets which are very easy to change and valves needing adjustment...both are caused by overheating

#502998 - 03/12/19 11:21 AM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
Texasbuckeye Offline

Loc: N Tx but fish in OK
Just recently picked up a 20hp 30Ē D R mower (walk behind) for my place. Letís just say my father in law loves it! He has run it dry of gas three times already as he gets to working and doesnít think about gas (whatís that say about him, three times?). It has chewed up plenty of thick stuff and hasnít thought twice about it. Talking 3-3.5 inch oak saplings. I bought it to create a walk around for my lake and the ground was too soft to go all the way around as some of it is on a pretty good slope along the dam, but did use it to create some better fishing spots in a couple areas, and if it ever dries out here I will take it all the way around.
Itís a work horse for sure and a great adjunct to a tractor based shredder for smaller tighter spots that would be impossible with a tractor. I have a lot of trees on my place and the power steering is quite helpful.

#503001 - 03/12/19 12:22 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
RAH Offline
Lunker

Loc: Indiana, Boone County, 25 mile...
My worry with some of these mowers is the ability to turn (maneuverability). We sold our BCS with brush maker back to the dealer because we were not intending to buy a machine to condition ourselves for MMA. Wish they made a brush deck for our walk-behind Scag hydrostat. Bachtold's are not made anymore either.

#503011 - 03/12/19 02:20 PM Re: Walk Behind Brush Mower Recommendations [Re: teehjaeh57]
Flame Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas
TJ, how much area do you have to cut? Once its cut the first time can you keep it down with a nice gas powered weed trimmer with a blade. That is what I use all the way around my 2 acre pond and...it will reach out into the water when need to for trimming sawgrass tops. To me if I'm going to spend 2-3 thousand dollars it better have a seat on it to haul my but around. Or for thousands of dollars you can hire someone to come trim it. Just a thought and my personell opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
Using lime rock for anti-erosion on new dam??
by Walt05
1 minute 32 seconds ago
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s
by wbuffetjr
Today at 02:07 PM
Zero activity when feeder goes off??
by SetterGuy
Today at 01:58 PM
Drone footage of pond build - Livingston Co., MO
by s252101
Today at 01:52 PM
CNBG Growth Update
by ColdSpringsFarm
Today at 01:38 PM
Lots of rain now a muddy pond what do I do?
by Quarter Acre
Today at 01:26 PM
Rosie Red Minnows - Can They Be Maintained?
by BrianL
Today at 12:51 PM
Pictures of Bass Eggs, Prolarvae and Larvae
by Custom 68
Today at 12:12 PM
Hello From Mesa, Az
by brisket
Today at 11:32 AM
RES/GSF hybrid in full color spring display
by dlowrance
Today at 11:27 AM
Newly Uploaded Images