Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
9 members (anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure, phinfan, jpsdad, Brett B, catscratch, jbird5986, Freg), 644 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Buddy, one more ingredient. Frequent infusions of cash.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
OP Offline
B
Yes Sir I didn't mention that. Some of the post I have read about what it cost to stock, well I am not in that tax bracket. My little pond I bucket stocked from surrounding ponds, reservoirs and ditches. I know it's not the proper way but it was all I could afford. I knew nothing about managing a pond till I started reading this forum. I have learned a lot. This forum is a great resource.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
W
W
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Buddy, one more ingredient. Frequent infusions of cash.

EXACTLY!! I would say this is the first ingredient on the list!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
OP Offline
B
Well I have pretty much finished all my reading of old topics. I figured I started out with over 600 when it was all said and done. Some topics had links to other topics so it was a lot of reading. I have made over 10 pages of notes of things that stood out to me. I have to write it down to remember it. Looks of good info and I have saved over 50 topics on my watch list to keep for future reference. I also have my first 2 issues of Pond Boss Magazine to get to reading. I was wanting to get done reading all the forum topics before I started in the magazine. It's finally worming up a little and drying out so I can get back down to the pond to get to work. After all this reading I have lots of ideas to get started on. Thanks to all who make this forum possible.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Buddy, Lusk has a YouTube deal on Wednesday nights. Generally a question and answer session.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
The polar vortex is coming later this week. It's supposed to hit a low of 13 degrees here in NW Arkansas.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey, it's actually a Facebook show. Not YouTube.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/27/19 05:34 AM.

B
OP Offline
B
Dave, Thank You I didn't know that he had a FB page but I got on and liked it. Looks like a lot of info there and I hope I can catch it tonight.

John, Every time it looks like we are going to warm up another cold front comes through. I think the groundhog was drunk or his interpreter was just full of it. It will warm up one of these days.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
B
OP Offline
B
In our Sunday school class this morning the Priest on the video we was watching was talking about balance in our lives. He said it's like standing on 1 foot. You are constantly balancing to stay on one foot. Balance takes a lot of work to try to maintain it. Of course the first thing I thought of was how much work it is to try to keep a pond in balance. Constant monitoring, adjusting, spending $$$$$ and lots time and effort. I have read just about all the topics I saved and maybe it will stop raining and warm up so I can get to the pond to do something. So much great info here and I am still reading new topics all the time. I can start to read the Pond Boss magazines I have now.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
A
Online Content
A
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
In our Sunday school class this morning the Priest on the video we was watching was talking about balance in our lives. He said it's like standing on 1 foot. You are constantly balancing to stay on one foot. Balance takes a lot of work to try to maintain it. Of course the first thing I thought of was how much work it is to try to keep a pond in balance. Constant monitoring, adjusting, spending $$$$$ and lots time and effort. I have read just about all the topics I saved and maybe it will stop raining and warm up so I can get to the pond to do something. So much great info here and I am still reading new topics all the time. I can start to read the Pond Boss magazines I have now.

Good plan. You can never know too much!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
OP Offline
B
I have finished all of reading of topics I had saved and I have kept 2 pages of topics for reference. There is a wealth of info on PBF because of all the experts that are here. Glad we have this place to figure out our ponds. Thank You to all those who work to make this place possible.

My conclusions

All of our ponds are ecosystems that we are attempting to manage by our intervention or by allowing nature to run its course. Lots of stories of forgotten ponds that have some monster size fish along with more stories of ponds with nothing but stunted big eyed fish. Some unmanaged ponds seem to find their balance naturally but most don't.

Then you have the people who strictly manage their ponds from the very beginning who have some wonderful looking fish. Some of the BG & CNBG that I have seen posted are almost scary. But to have those size fish is a lot of time, effort and money. My hat is off to those guys.

Also there is a lot of different ideas about what type of fish to stock. Some interesting choices especially with all the different hybrids out there.

I have also seen some absolutely beautiful ponds on here. I admire the time and effort that goes into making there place look so wonderful. Lots of ideas and inspiration for me to make my place look better.

One last thing is if you have GSF get into your pond it is not the end of the world. And how many are mixed in with the fish order. Just about every topic about this came to conclusion that they can be managed around and will eventually disappear if there are LMB & BG in there with them.

Bottom line is enjoy your pond. Manage it like you want to. If you have questions this is the place to get answers to help you get to where you want your pond to be. So now that the sun is out and warming up, lets get out there and catch some fish.

Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 09:39 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails