Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Saw a Cormorant in my pond yesterday for the first time. Up until now, GBH and Egrets are the only water birds I have seen with any regularity. Well, this thing was fishing in the middle of the pond standing on some small limbs from a sunken tree. His feeding spot was about 40 feet from my feeder. Up until yesterday the fish were devouring their normal 2 second afternoon TH feeder ration with great abandon, and in fact, I had been hand throwing them an additional 3 or 4 solo cups of mvp as well. Water temps are about 65 here now. Well, I happened to be standing there when the feeder went off (about 20 minutes after the cormorant left) and for the first time ever, not a single fish showed up to eat! I could not believe it. Eventually, about 5 minutes later a very small group started eating a pellet here or there, but 99% of the feed just sat there untouched. Obviously the cormorant must have spooked them and I guess they all headed for the bottom. Is this common behavior when cormorants come around? I just have never seen anything cause a total shutdown like that before. Even in 28 degree weather I would still have feeder activity. Learn something new everyday with this pond!

Oh, and this morning when I rode out to the pond, there were 4 cormorants feeding! From zero to 4 in one day! Not good.

P
P
They can and do dive up to 40 feet deep and will eat a lot of fish... I know this from watching them eat them ..... if you are not in the city make some noise (he he he ) they will leave but will come back..... I dislike them a lot

I have had GBH stand on the pier and wait on the fish to feed..... they aren’t a big a threat as cormorants and I don’t bother them....

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 02/17/19 01:40 PM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I have had a change of heart....I used to hate the herons that walk along the shore....now they are way, way down the list of trouble....the herons walk along the shore and primarily eat frogs, snakes, minnows and small fish.

The diving water turkey are a much bigger problem. And a major problem this year at my pond....gator decoys worked before this year...but no more....sometimes 10-15 of the water turkey are fishing in my pond....they dive under.

Today I put the reflective tape out...I hope it may detour them some...of course the know-it-alls in DC protect Anhinga (water turkey)...but who protects the fish and the thousands of dollars we spend stocking the fish?

I hope they move on and migrate. Look what these A-holes (that Washington protects) did to my dock this week.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

C
CMM Offline
C
I am so thankful to be out of the range of Anhinga! At least the regulations are relaxed for dealing with the cormorants I get once in a while. Zep, I hope you find a remedy.

CMM

P
P
Sorry but cormorants are protected like the anhinga......

P
P
Zep
Bob L says cormorants can and do eat a 1# bass!
Pop a cap and they leave .

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bob is correct - we had a cormorant eat a 12 inch yellow perch which is very similar to the size of a 12" LMB.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
CMM Offline
C
https://greatlakesecho.org/2018/04/12/people-can-once-again-kill-cormorants/
Some permits are granted for cormorant control, I did not know that permits were granted for anhinga. So far, thankfully, I have only seen a few and they don't stick around long.

CMM

P
P
CMM
From what I can tell Texas stopped the killing of cormorants once again, information is not to clear tho

C
CMM Offline
C
Pat, from what I have read, some state issue special permits for cormorants while others do not. I hate to see the possible loss of any species, but have trouble swallowing 60 or 80 year old decrees that protect destructive animals that currently have stable or increasing populations. My fish are not my lively hood, only my sanity. I have watched red tail hawks taking chickens from my own yard, herons and cormorants robbing my pond while geese befouled it. All with little that could be done. I can only imagine the frustration people who make a living with their ponds and fish must feel.

CMM

P
P
CMM
This winter we have had a pair of Bald Eagles, an osprey, a few GBH, and a bunch of cormorants, all the other birds are welcome but when you get a mess of cormorants come calling they can put the hurt on fish populations. Shooting near them puts them in flight most of the time. I had an Osprey steal a fish from a cormorants mouth, now that was cool to see

I once, many years ago, came upon a dead cormorant with a 14 or 15 inch common carp lodged in its throat. Greedy bird took too big of a bite.

Carp are good for something!

I'd be interested in baiting a hook with an appropriate sized fish and placing the bait out there where the cormorants commonly fish. Or setting up something like a gill net right in the area the birds favor.

It would really be too bad if you weren't able to get out to check the net or baited line often enough, wouldn't it?

T
T
From my experience the Cormorant (Water Turkey) will send out scouts that look for food. Checking our ponds for an easy meal, and if they find one they like, there will be more show up in the next few days. If the scout is not discouraged and a good food supply is available they can and may return in higher numbers. A lot of us have all seen single's feeding, swimming and diving the pond. But, if not discouraged from returning they may show up with high numbers of them. In that case, they may work together driving fish to an area where the Cormorant can feast and really do damage to your pond fish. It can cost a lot of money to correct the damage they have done. I would suggest you take action to discourage any Water Turkey that shows up at your pond. It is illegal to take some and maybe all actions against the birds so I would not advertise what actions are taken to discourage the darn birds. Can you tell I am no fan of these birds?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Tracy, that's what I'm seeing here. Almost every day we're having single's show up, and they typically roost on a cedar stump in the middle of our pond. I hop on the Mule, and go shoot a dove load at the stump. They almost always just fly away, and not dive under the water. This has been going on for several weeks, and now some of the cormorants are taking off as soon as they hear the Mule running. They've probably already made a stop here, and know what's coming next. I do think they're scouts.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Al, ya need ta upgrade to #5 or 6 and target practice a little higher on the stump. Have a spade ready.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Bob-O, I'm lucky if I even hit the water.

AL

V
V
Ditto everything TGW posted.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
P
P
Yup

J
JKS3613 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
So what happened to my fish? lol Today was the third day in a row that the feeder went off and...nothing! How long will they stay cowering in fear on the bottom? I ran the "birds" off twice today so they were only there an hour or two today at most. Usually, an hour or two before the feeder goes off you can see hundreds of BG staging and waiting. That's why it is so hard for me to believe that every single one of them is in hiding, but I can think of no other explanation. Is this a " thing" when cormorants come around?

A
A
Hello.

Since 2012 the government in addition to the moratorium, authorizes the slaughter of the cormorants to save the Yellow perch in the St-Pierre lake on St-Lawrence river.

Do you have these problems with the cormorants in U.S.A.

A+

P
P
First what is the water temp, second have you seen any otter activity in or around pond?
I don’t think that they get paranoid over a few being harassed that I can tell. I have a 5 ac pond and not feeding at the moment.

410 3 inch shells 4 shot 30+ yds. Huge pattern. I have pellet trained many geese this way! wink Ought to work on cormorants as well.

Any closer than 30 yds and you might "accidentally" actually hurt one of the little darlings!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I've said this before. I would never recommend that anyone break the law. However, if I raised chickens and a chicken hawk was getting them, I doubt that I would apply for a permit to do anything about it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
+1 Dave

C
C
I too can tell when a cormorant has been around. My fish get spooked just like you said. When I see this I make extra passes during the day to look for him. Sure enough, I always spot one.

T
T
I have all sorts of fowl this year.

Ducks, Canada Geese, Bald Eagles, Great Blue Heron, Water Turkeys and Pelicans. Its a wonder I have any fish left at all.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
got this net in today to see if I can rig it on my dock for during the week to keep the evil water turkey with the squirts off my dock when I'm not there.

T
T
Nice.......let us know how it works.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
will do Tbar....I wish I could net the entire pond during the time the water-turkey are mainly around these parts...but at 4 acres I just think it would be a stretch to make it work....plus the cost of that much netting...but gosh I'd like to stop these sob's

If their digestive tract is anything like a King Fisher's, they squirt immediately after they have gorged themselves on your fish. All that white is your fish they ate a little earlier in the day. frown

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Tbar
I have all sorts of fowl this year. Ducks, Canada Geese, Bald Eagles, Great Blue Heron, Water Turkeys and Pelicans. Its a wonder I have any fish left at all.

Tbar I've got an Overton's electro survey next month to see how bad the damage is...but it may be hard to determine otter vs bird damage.

If it's as bad as I think it might be...i may actually look into netting some or most of the 4 acre pond next year:

https://www.industrialnetting.com/predator-netting.html

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
All that white is your fish they ate a little earlier in the day. frown

Bill...tell me it ain't so!

A
A
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: Tbar
I have all sorts of fowl this year. Ducks, Canada Geese, Bald Eagles, Great Blue Heron, Water Turkeys and Pelicans. Its a wonder I have any fish left at all.

Tbar I've got an Overton's electro survey next month to see how bad the damage is...but it may be hard to determine otter vs bird damage.

If it's as bad as I think it might be...i may actually look into netting some or most of the 4 acre pond next year:

https://www.industrialnetting.com/predator-netting.html

Maybe this could be useful for cormorant season, then could be taken down. Also, I wonder how easy this would be to set up & take down when you want to fish a netted area?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Maybe this could be useful for cormorant season, then could be taken down. Also, I wonder how easy this would be to set up & take down when you want to fish a netted area?

anthropic...if i do it..yes taken down after diving water-turkey season...I don't really care anymore about the herons that walk along the shore...they seem so much less damaging and tend to work alone.

I am not sure exactly what the season is for the diving under the water water-turkey. It seems like they appear here and there...but the big groups of them are just during a specific season..mating season? migration season? both?

As far as fishing I could live without fishing Jan/Feb or fish my smaller ponds which for some reason the water turkey appear to be ignoring.

F
F
Zep - Please let us know if you can see a reduction in cormorants from the reflective tape. I've been seeing a few scouts at my place in Fayette County, Tx also. My populations haven't exploded like I expected and believe the cormorants are impacting my pond negatively.

I just got some reflective tape in and will put it out in a couple weeks. My pond is about 3 acres, long and narrow and I don't know how much reflective tape I need to put out.

Thanks

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
T
T
Al, like you, the cormorant will take to the opposite end of the pond when they hear or see my side by side. So to solve this problem I stop short of the pond. Up on the hill some 100 yds away from the pond where I take position. I just replaced my Remington 22 mag with a new Eagle 22mag simi automatic. Made @ Magnum Research Pillager MN. Bull barrel, Carbon coated. Mounted with a Nicon 3x12 scope. Purchased yesterday. I then went to our new indoor riffle range. Red River Riffle Range. All new facility and a really nice club. After shooting around 40 rounds the riffle is Bulls eyed @ 100 yds with a 40 grain bullet. Now going back to the pond, it may take a 300yd shot to discourage the birds. It's all about elevation and windage smile

Last edited by TGW1; 02/20/19 09:24 AM.

Tracy
T
T
ZEP, you may not remember my posting a few yr's ago where the cormorants drove hundreds of 4" TFS to a corner of the pond where I found the shad dead a floating, along with a couple of 14" hsb and one 8 to 9" cnbg. After all that I declared war! I remind you of this because of the damage they can and may do at your pond. You may want to re-read my last post here for discouraging the cormorants @ your place. OH! the 22 mag will also discourage River Otters and beavers.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/20/19 10:00 AM.

Tracy
T
T
Fayette, find the posts here from anthropic and his experience with the tape. I think he is in his second year of experience with the tape. Maybe he will join back in to tell of what he has seen at his place.

Tracy
Mark, look at fiberglass garden hoops for your dock. Just drape netting over it while you're gone. The bottom of the hoops should fit in the gaps between the decking boards.

Tracy, I can reach out and touch aerial evildoers, but the problem is houses, cows, and horses. I'd be shooting a flat round at water, and a bounce could be a big problem. Using a shotgun makes me sleep better.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 02/20/19 10:14 AM.

AL

F
F
Thank you, I'll look back in the archives for the info on the reflective tape.

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: FayetteTX
Zep - Please let us know if you can see a reduction in cormorants from the reflective tape.

Will do Fayette....I placed quite a bit of the reflective tape out last Sunday and was there at the property like 3-4 hours afterwards and it appeared to be working, but after I left to go back home...well I dont know? An additional roll of tape arrived yesterday and I will add more this weekend. Even if it's 50% effective that's a start.

The shooting them...which I know no one is advocating beause it's illegal....seems over-rated....especially if you dont live on site....ok lets pretend it's legal to shoot them....lets say you kill 1, 2, 3, 4, of them on a weekend....wont others the next day that were miles away and not aware of the shooting just land and start eating the fish again? If it were legal...shooting them may provide some satisfaction...but I doubt it would actually be very effective with so many birds in and out of the area.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: TGW1
You may want to re-read my last post here for discouraging the cormorants @ your place.

Will do....thank You Tracy

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Mark, look at fiberglass garden hoops for your dock.

Al I am not familiar with fiberglass garden hoops....

Is this what you are talking about?

I wonder if the birds might try to land on the hoop as a perch?
Or would the hoop be wobbly and they would not like that?

https://www.amazon.com/RowTunnel-Greenho...eway&sr=8-3

P
P
Al, like you, the cormorant will take to the opposite end of the pond when they hear or see my side by side. So to solve this problem I stop short of the pond. Up on the hill some 100 yds away from the pond where I take position. I just replaced my Remington 22 mag with a new Eagle 22mag simi automatic. Made @ Magnum Research Pillager MN. Bull barrel, Carbon coated. Mounted with a Nicon 3x12 scope. Purchased yesterday. I then went to our new indoor riffle range. Red River Riffle Range. All new facility and a really nice club. After shooting around 40 rounds the riffle is Bulls eyed @ 100 yds with a 40 grain bullet. Now going back to the pond, it may take a 300yd shot to discourage the birds. It's all about elevation and windage smile

Tracy I use a .22 mag with Hornady 30 grain 2200 FPS and a lot flatter shooting. I have had good luck out to 150 yds...... not on cormorants of course......

Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Mark, look at fiberglass garden hoops for your dock.

Al I am not familiar with fiberglass garden hoops....

Is this what you are talking about?

I wonder if the birds might try to land on the hoop as a perch?
Or would the hoop be wobbly and they would not like that?

https://www.amazon.com/RowTunnel-Greenho...eway&sr=8-3

Mark, that's what I was referring to. It shouldn't be rigid enough to do anything but support the bird netting. They're just flexible plastic or fiberglass rods that you bow into shape. Just a thought.

AL

B
B
There are some people around here that would want to know 2 things about these birds: Is there a limit on them and do they taste like chicken?

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe
A
A
Originally Posted By: anthropic

anthropic...if i do it..yes taken down after diving water-turkey season...I don't really care anymore about the herons that walk along the shore...they seem so much less damaging and tend to work alone.

I am not sure exactly what the season is for the diving under the water water-turkey. It seems like they appear here and there...but the big groups of them are just during a specific season..mating season? migration season? both?

As far as fishing I could live without fishing Jan/Feb or fish my smaller ponds which for some reason the water turkey appear to be ignoring.

One plus with netting is that you can put it over feeder areas. Fish can still get the feed, but geese will find it more difficult to steal. Also, cormorants don't get so many easy fish.

Last edited by anthropic; 02/20/19 04:48 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Hummmm.........oh the possibilities. Never mind it’s 300WM.

https://youtu.be/p411Til7VC4

T
T
Lance, after watching the video I can see you setting by the fireplace and hunting your pigs smile

Tracy
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Got the netting up on the dock yesterday.

We'll see how it goes....this is just round 1.

My handyman threw a fake owl on one of the net support poles.

A
A
Looks good!

T
T
Got the netting up on the dock yesterday.

We'll see how it goes....this is just round 1.

My handyman threw a fake owl on one of the net support poles.

That should work!

T
T
Lance, after watching the video I can see you setting by the fireplace and hunting your pigs smile

grin grin grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??